running higher octane on your mx3 does help with power

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

running higher octane on your mx3 does help with power

Post by mitmaks »

http://www.elektro.com/~audi/audi/toluene.html
even though itll do fine on 87 but higher would be better if you can afford it
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
relisys_3200

Post by relisys_3200 »

Thats why I use 94 in my baby 8)
Although sometimes its hard to find.
Brandon
1992 MX-3 GS-ZE
Thunderstorm

Post by Thunderstorm »

:D :D :D

Yep! I can confirm that using "Rocket Fuel" in an MX-3 RS makes a BIG difference.

I have been using BP Ultimate Super Unleaded fuel - 97RON (Europe) and the response from the engine of my MX-3 is nothing short of impressive.

Reduced engine vibration under load.

Improved acceleration response times.

Cleaner exhaust - no horrid smells of unburnt fuel.

Did I mention the silky smooth running of the 1.6i DOHC engine?

One other fact, it is becoming abnormally easy to spin the front tyres on lift-off. We're not talking sustained burning rubber here, but the MX-3 has done the odd wheel spin when I try to take off quickly. More power at the wheels? I don't force the wheels to spin intentionally, but this is happening more often since I started using 97RON Fuel. Cool!!

:D :D :D
1998 MX-3 RS 1.6i DOHC "Blackbird". Totally Stock.

The 21st Century is a con; where is my Hovercar?!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2058708
Chiggles

Post by Chiggles »

But this also produces worse mileage does it not? :( I thought fuel economy dropped as power increased.... :?
What I drive: A Cybertronian disguised in the form of a Creek Blue Mica 95 MX-3 GS. :driver:
Long term goal: Fabricating a new transformation cog! :welder:
Thunderstorm

Post by Thunderstorm »

Chiggles wrote:But this also produces worse mileage does it not? :( I thought fuel economy dropped as power increased.... :?
Negative.
Not unless u drive like bat out of hell, with your pedal to the metal ALL the time.

I was getting 220 - 230 (UK) miles to the tank with ordinary 95RON unleaded, when I switched to 97RON Super unleaded i was getting between 260 - 280 miles per tank. And my ride was way zippier than what I had before.

The engine is very quiet in operation, and the change in performance of my MX-3 "Blackbird" is clearly noticeable.

Big Difference. Try it!

MX-3 Money
Supporting Member

Post by MX-3 Money »

relisys_3200 wrote:Thats why I use 94 in my baby 8)
Although sometimes its hard to find.
Indeed I totally know what you mean. I have to plan some of my routes just so I can get to a sunoco. Figure thats were you go too.
1993 MX-3 GS 5 spd, KL-ZE swap, kl31 ecu, 110 amp alternator, Unorthodox Underdrive Pulley, SSautocrome headers, High flow cat, Pacesetter high flow cat-back, B&M shortshifter, Clear Sigs/Sides.
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

MX-3 Money wrote:
relisys_3200 wrote:Thats why I use 94 in my baby 8) Although sometimes its hard to find.
Indeed I totally know what you mean. I have to plan some of my routes just so I can get to a sunoco. Figure thats were you go too.
Been using it for over 10 years in the MX and the Ducati. While driving through the states years ago I found pumps advertising over 100 octane. :shock:
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

While driving through the states years ago I found pumps advertising over 100 octane. :shock:
Ahhh the good old days.. That had to have been before Leaded gas was banned.. I used to be able to source 98 Octane fuel from one Union 76 Gas station.. but that was way back in the 84-86 years. By the time I got my Nova built.. it wasnt available anymore :cry: But thats probably a good thing.. I got into enough trouble on 92 octane with that car LOL ;)

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
swanseav6

Post by swanseav6 »

ive have been running my jap import v6 mx-3 on shell optimax (98 octane) and the thing flies....especially when you hit 400rpm and all hell breaks loose....and believe it or not the economy has also improved, well worth the extra cost
First time i heard that v6 scream upto 7500rpm.............i think i wet myself
Hoodzy

Post by Hoodzy »

w/e happened to the mass threadsi've readthat using higher octaneisuseless unless u advancethe timing!?
http://www.cardomain.com/id/hoodzy13" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.id-studio.ca" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.behance.net/CollinH" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
1995 Creek Mica Blue GS
DJ

Post by DJ »

In the manual for the V6 it calls for atleast 91.
neutral
Supporting Member

Post by neutral »

Tunes67 wrote:
While driving through the states years ago I found pumps advertising over 100 octane. :shock:
Ahhh the good old days.. That had to have been before Leaded gas was banned.. I used to be able to source 98 Octane fuel from one Union 76 Gas station.. but that was way back in the 84-86 years. By the time I got my Nova built.. it wasnt available anymore :cry: But thats probably a good thing.. I got into enough trouble on 92 octane with that car LOL ;)

Tunes67
Ahhh, those were the raw (albeit polluted) hi-perf days eh? Used to run leaded 99 Octane from the local Gulf Oil station in my '69 MGB. If I had that car today, it probably wouldn't run w/o gas additives to boost the octane rating.
Image -Jim
MX-3 Money
Supporting Member

Post by MX-3 Money »

is 94 the highest we can get up here in canada?
1993 MX-3 GS 5 spd, KL-ZE swap, kl31 ecu, 110 amp alternator, Unorthodox Underdrive Pulley, SSautocrome headers, High flow cat, Pacesetter high flow cat-back, B&M shortshifter, Clear Sigs/Sides.
snellgrove

Post by snellgrove »

swanseav6 wrote:ive have been running my jap import v6 mx-3 on shell optimax (98 octane) and the thing flies....especially when you hit 400rpm and all hell breaks loose....and believe it or not the economy has also improved, well worth the extra cost
keep doing that mate, dont know if your aware but most Jap imports are designed to run on seriously high octanes over there (into the 100's sometimes!)

good few of my friends have lost scoobies and the like through running the cheap UK 95RON fuel and BANG engine goes pop..

run your japanese imports on Optimax or other "super" class fuel to avoid much £!
1997, Silver, V6
Thunderstorm

Post by Thunderstorm »

Right on Snellgrove!

I'm still running the 1998 RS on Super Unleaded only.
Recently switched to BP Ultimate Fuel 98 RON.
Getting up to 30MPG running around in the terrible London traffic (usually 27MPG to be honest), but its the performance of the car that astounds.

This thing scoots like the smoothest Go Kart on BP Ultimate.
Acceleration is effortless, and the MX-3 virtually glides.
Under acceleration (full thrust) the engine vibrations are virtually none existent. It's like being in a Limousine.

Reduced noise, yet this thing "scoots" like you have Dampened "Solid Rocket Boosters" attached. Going all the way to 100MPH and beyond is effortless.

Compare this to 95 RON, when you can actually hear and feel the vibrations from the engine, the thundering rumble of pistons coming to terms with imperfect fuel detonations in the chambers.

You can practically feel the engine labour as you push to full thrust.

Sticking with 98 RON Fuels.

I can definitely feel the difference. Even with a 1.6i DOHC Powerplant.

Thunderstorm

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”