94 Mazda a/c install

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
ariesdude

94 Mazda a/c install

Post by ariesdude »

Hi, I own a 94 mazda mx-3 1.6L 4 Cyl - the car did not come with a/c - is it possible to install a/c somehow? - what would be the parts required? - I saw certain parts like compressor, evaporator on ebay for $50 - 100. Thanks.
jaydog5678

Post by jaydog5678 »

You would need the HVAC controls if it doesn't have it. You would need the evaporator, condenser, all the lines, new o-rings, compressor, the A/C fan in front of the radiator, reciever dryer, and all the mounting bolts. It may be better to find a 94-95 model in the junkyard that has everything intact. Just remember to get new o-rings.

I remember removing my A/C several yrs ago. The hardest part was getting the lines out from both sides of the condenser. It's a damn jiggsaw puzzle. I haven't taken the core out from under the dash and even that looks to be challenging.

Good luck.
ariesdude

Post by ariesdude »

Thank you very much for the info. Looks like it' s gonna be a lot of trouble - but it's definitely my next project.
cjthor
Forum Moderator

Post by cjthor »

ariesdude wrote:Thank you very much for the info. Looks like it' s gonna be a lot of trouble - but it's definitely my next project.
I took the AC off my 94 mx3. I have everything.....interested?
Jarid Perry
94 mx3 Turrrbooooo (not even close to stock) 302WHP
71 Chevy C20 (tow rig!!)
77 Jeep CJ5 (no way its stock)
06 MINI Cooper S JCW GP (few goodies) 210WHP
2008 MINI Cooper Clubman S
cdngrl420

Post by cdngrl420 »

when i bought my car i seen the previous owner had a/c installed into the car it cost almost 2000 at a mazda dealership, get ready for problems when you get it done, its next to impossible to get to certain parts onhe right side of the car unless you move your engine because of the a/c hose or maybe it was just a crap job done on mine, and for some reason the a/c sucks...again maybe just my car
cjthor
Forum Moderator

Post by cjthor »

cdngrl420 wrote:when i bought my car i seen the previous owner had a/c installed into the car it cost almost 2000 at a mazda dealership, get ready for problems when you get it done, its next to impossible to get to certain parts onhe right side of the car unless you move your engine because of the a/c hose or maybe it was just a crap job done on mine, and for some reason the a/c sucks...again maybe just my car
I think it was your car. If you get the factory hoses everything should line up perfectly. The engines sit in the same spot no matter what options you have.
Jarid Perry
71 Chevy C20 (tow rig!!)
ariesdude

Post by ariesdude »

ariesdude wrote:
Thank you very much for the info. Looks like it' s gonna be a lot of trouble - but it's definitely my next project.

most definitely - but may i ask why you took it off - did it lead to any performance troubles? is it in good working condition and what would be the (fair) price? Thanks!
cjthor
Forum Moderator

Post by cjthor »

ariesdude wrote:
ariesdude wrote:

most definitely - but may i ask why you took it off - did it lead to any performance troubles? is it in good working condition and what would be the (fair) price? Thanks!
It was fine when i took it off. I took it off cuz I turbocharged the car. You will still need the ac controls and the box under the dash.
Jarid Perry
71 Chevy C20 (tow rig!!)
ariesdude

Post by ariesdude »

cjthor wrote:
ariesdude wrote:

It was fine when i took it off. I took it off cuz I turbocharged the car. You will still need the ac controls and the box under the dash.
The car has heater and it has the knob with the blue and paint markings near the vent control above the radio - so does that mean the controls are already there?
Anyway i found some controls on ebay -
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1994-MAZ ... 0675QQrdZ1

I dont know what you meant by box under the dash - if you mean the blower motor stuff - then i think i already have it (because of the heater).
cjthor
Forum Moderator

Post by cjthor »

ariesdude wrote:
cjthor wrote:
ariesdude wrote:
The car has heater and it has the knob with the blue and paint markings near the vent control above the radio - so does that mean the controls are already there?

I dont know what you meant by box under the dash - if you mean the blower motor stuff - then i think i already have it (because of the heater).
I know its different...the AC lines go into the firewall.
Jarid Perry
71 Chevy C20 (tow rig!!)
ariesdude

Post by ariesdude »

cjthor wrote:
ariesdude wrote:
cjthor wrote: It was fine when i took it off. I took it off cuz I turbocharged the car. You will still need the ac controls and the box under the dash.

I know its different...the AC lines go into the firewall.
You're right - i will look for that part on ebay/junkyards - meanwhile i am gonna bid on the hvac controls. Thanks for putting up with my ignorance.
cjthor
Forum Moderator

Post by cjthor »

Only way to learn......ask questions. No prob newbie!! :lol:
Jarid Perry
71 Chevy C20 (tow rig!!)
cjthor
Forum Moderator

Post by cjthor »

I am also guessing there are some wiring differences. I am not sure it will just plug in.
Jarid Perry
71 Chevy C20 (tow rig!!)
ariesdude

Post by ariesdude »

Hey thanks for all the helpful info about the a/c - i realised today that before i go digging deep into this i must figure out if i can afford this (being a grad student strapped for cash) - as you have already seen - i am not very knowledgeable about installation - so i have to enlist the help of a local mechanic. How much are you asking for all the a/c parts that you have. I dont know if mazda would have made separate wiring harness for cars with a/c & heater and cars with heater only - if not, there should be the possibility of doing some custom wiring. I just hope that i can somehow get this done with minimum downtime and low cost - Thanks for all the help.
pag1222

Post by pag1222 »

Have you sold the a/c unit?

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”