Deep gouges in clutch and flywheel

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
mdavis

Deep gouges in clutch and flywheel

Post by mdavis »

Yesterday I pulled my tranny off I was shocked to see deep gouges in both my fidanza friction surface and my clutchmasters stage 2 clutch.

What the hell? I've been using the fidanza for about 10 months and the clutch for about 16. Any idea what could have caused this? I was careful to clean out the bell housing last time, and I carefully cleaned all friction surfaces with brake cleaner...

The throughout bearing which went out a few days ago, it just started making a God-aweful noise, and coming to a stop the car stalled. I then had trouble getting it into gear, and getting the car to start - it acted like there was a lot of resistance in the drive train keeping the motor from turning over. After leaving the car overnight, I came back the next day and got it to start and drove a half mile to my house (it went into gear easily in the morning when the motor wasn't running) When I was backing the car up/positioning it to work on it, the clutch would tend to want to grab even when I had the petal all the way in. I'm wondering if any of this could have been what gouged the flywheel - is it possible that a screwed up throughout bearing causing resistance could have screwed up the allignment of something in the drive train bad enough to do this? I didn't think I abused the clutch that badly! Anyways thanks for the opinions. :)
GS-R SE
Fixin's
DavidOS

Post by DavidOS »

if your slave and master cylinder are worn it can cause issues with clutch wear
1994, GS, KLZE, 67mm TB, LightFlywheel, Centreforce Stg 3 Clutch, CAI, KL36 ecu, B&M shortshifter, Solid poly mounts, lightweight Aluminum Cross memeber, 2.5 high flo cat, 2.5 all back, Tanabe Exhaust, optima battery, ZX2 HD tokicos, eibach prokit, black altezzas.....

http://www.modifiedmazda.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

It doesn't look like there's any friction material left on that clutch. If that's the case, you may have gotten down to part of the clutch you're not supposed to, and it scrathed your flywheel?
mdavis

Post by mdavis »

lakersfan1 wrote:It doesn't look like there's any friction material left on that clutch. If that's the case, you may have gotten down to part of the clutch you're not supposed to, and it scrathed your flywheel?
Yeah.. but I don't think so. There isn't much clutch disk left, but I don't think that's what happened. Maybe.
GS-R SE
Fixin's
Rick Johnson

Post by Rick Johnson »

Did you torque the pressure plate correctly on install?, it almost looks as though it was put on to tight because the wear gets worse towards the outer edge.... How hard was it to pull the bolts holding the pressure plate, it should have taken little to no force to remove them.
mdavis

Post by mdavis »

I torqued them per the fidinza instructions because it comes with its own bolts to screw into the aluminum. All I had at the time was a crappy torque wrench, and it seems like I might have fiddled with it a little too much (one of the ones with the needles) and now that you mention it, the bolts did feel too tight on removal. Well that sounds like it was probably the problem.. thanks ^^
GS-R SE
Fixin's

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”