:: cries :: My transmission blew up!?! HELP PLEASE!!!

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
prototype

:: cries :: My transmission blew up!?! HELP PLEASE!!!

Post by prototype »

Alright, riding out to Mcdonalds one night, and I went to cross traffic, and the car wheel hopped REALLY BAD. about 10miles down the road, it started jerking and making a clunk sound, and then I noticed the CV joint was locking up and moving up and down. So I got the car home by doing 20mph...

Later, I replaced the cv joint today, and when I went to take it for a test spin, I got 5 feet forward and the car hopped again(and made a clunk sound). So I jacked the car up and put the car in gear and let the wheel spin freely. It spun a fwe rotations and made a horrible grinding noise, then it went CLUNK and the tire locked up and killed the engine. I reached my hand back on the CV joint cup, next to the tranny and I can wiggle it up and down, but it's definitely all the way in and locked in place cause it won't pull out... Also when I replaced the CV a little bit of tranny fluid leaked out, and it was black like it was burnt but I have a MTX, so wtf? It also didn't look like 80 weight gear oil, it was A LOT THINNER. like 20 weight or something.

But does it sound like my diff. is messed up? And if so, i'm gonna have to get another tranny right?How much will that cost for a used one?

Thanks a lot. Been without my MX for a week now and I miss her a lot. lol.
1992 MX-3 SOHC 1.6

15" 5 spoke star wheels with 195x50 Futura sport tires. Solid filled Poly Urethane motor mounts. Short throw shifter, aluminum and carbon fiber shift knob. Ebay Cold Air Intake, 2" Custom Cat Back exhaust with Glass pack muffler and 3" slant chrome tip. Dual 10" JBL's with Kenwood amp with neon pulsating light, dual 6x9's in carpeted box, Clarion head unit. Custom blue/black interior.
papa roached

Post by papa roached »

yup, toasted tranny, did it with my RS, cost me $500 for a used tranny
93 MX-3 GS (collecting parts for Eunos Presso conversion), 94 626 Transmission (4.10 gears), KL31 camed KL-ZE, Millenia intake, Millenia TB, SSAutochrome V2 headers, Magnaflow cat, 2 1/4 in pipe, Top Speed Pro 1 muffler, 9lb Fidanza Flywheel, ACT clutch, Corksport SS clutch line, Corksport SS brake lines, Unorthadox UDP, 255 lph fuel pump, HEI mod, ghetto-charger intake, KL36 ECU, SRD transverse crossmember bushings, SRD shifter extention bushing, SRD crossmember, Corksport bronzoil shifter bushings, Brembo Crossdrilled and Slotted rotors, 15 inch Konig Heliums, ZX-2 S/R struts, Eibach lowering springs, OEM front strut bar, Ebay rear strut bar, BFGoodrich G-Force T/A KDWs

Parts needing installed: turbo kit from BB (if i ever get it), 9.0:1 CR Diamond pistons, 4340 forged H beam rods, C/J-Spec spoiler, Nissan red tops in KL rails
http://www.cardomain.com/id/blazejeremy
95 rs

Post by 95 rs »

yah definately toasted happened 2 me also i went through 2 trannies in a month so i know what ur going through i was with out my car for the whole month so yah it sucks i got a used tranny for 700 cdn and well it worked for about a week then i caved witht he drain plug falling out and it locked up also ummm i was told by a mazda tech to use atf in the witner since it is alot thinner and use gear oil in summer since its alot thicker so yah im gonna try that now since i rebuilt my first tranny for 1200 at a shop in winnipeg and well they did some really good work. i hope you dont hafta go through what i did
95 rs with custom short ram air, b&m short throw shifter, probe 2.0L header with 2 1/4" exhaust all the way back, catco high flow cat, apc high flow muffler with 4.5" tip, accel 8 mm wires, blaze red, cf altezzas, gun metal 17" mr7s, slotted cross drilled rotors on the way with hawk hps pads, red and white interior, other then that its stock.
happyclown

Post by happyclown »

eeeeeek...

were there any signs to this comming on, when it hopped leaving mac D's was it the first time it hopped? or was it doing it a little bit before?

mine, most mornings will buck/hop when i pull into the road. i cant tell if its the wheels or the tranny, but it hops. also when im accelerating heavely the car pulls hard to the left. but when im coasting down a hill it doesnt pull.

Am i doomed to share your fate? :x

if so, is there any way i can help to prevent this? what would you have done if you saw it comming:?:
1993 RS Teal
neutral
Supporting Member

Post by neutral »

happyclown wrote:mine, most mornings will buck/hop when i pull into the road. i cant tell if its the wheels or the tranny, but it hops. also when im accelerating heavely the car pulls hard to the left. but when im coasting down a hill it doesnt pull.
Your particular description sounds like a possible worn-out motor mount. Especially since you notice the pulling to the left only under hard acceleration. Give those mounts a close inspection if ya haven't done so already. I had a car that exhibited the same wheel hop & pulling symptoms and turned out that two of the motor mounts needed replacing. If they're worn out, can allow the motor & tranny to literally torque the drivetrain out of alignment under hard accel. & that causes steering to pull to the left.
Image -Jim
prototype

Post by prototype »

Yah my car used to do the same thing, and definitely check your mounts. When I did the CV I took all the motor mounts out and they were all busted, so I filled them with poly urethane. hopeing to put an end to my problems all in one weeks time.. turns out it was wasted effort..

I bought the car wrecked, figuring the bumper was just smashed in, and I trusted my uncle wouldn't sell me a total'd car. Just tonight I took the bumper off and the fenders... the driver side sub frame, is S shaped. Really messed up, and not quite fixable... so i'm looking for a new MX, cause I can't have anythign else now that I've driven one. ^.^
1992 MX-3 SOHC 1.6

15" 5 spoke star wheels with 195x50 Futura sport tires. Solid filled Poly Urethane motor mounts. Short throw shifter, aluminum and carbon fiber shift knob. Ebay Cold Air Intake, 2" Custom Cat Back exhaust with Glass pack muffler and 3" slant chrome tip. Dual 10" JBL's with Kenwood amp with neon pulsating light, dual 6x9's in carpeted box, Clarion head unit. Custom blue/black interior.
m92_MX3

Post by m92_MX3 »

same thing happend to me so i took the tranny out and it was the differental on mine went to hell so the guy said for just parts it was 550$ so i am just buying a new tranny
CTC Racing
92 1.6L
93 323 Tranny, ACT clutch, Exhaust, cold air intake, MSD Blaster 2 coil, MSD 8.5mm super conductor wires NGK V-power platinum plugs,engine dress up,custom interior(almost done), GS front bumper, GS 5 spoke wheels Painted white.
ajf3

Post by ajf3 »

Can a bad CV joint cause tranny damage?
dj inferno

Post by dj inferno »

i got mine from a pull it yourself junkyard and it cost me 90$ plus a core... and then i instaled it myself
CarMan1

Post by CarMan1 »

yeh i agree with 95 rs.... when i blew up my tranny i took it to a shop, i messed up some gear that cost 600$..... they rebuilt it and ive never had a problem since....

the problem with getting a tranny shipped is if it isnt shipped right the spider gears move around, and ur back to step 1 looking for a new tranny....
azazel95

Re: :: cries :: My transmission blew up!?! HELP PLEASE!!!

Post by azazel95 »

prototype wrote:So I jacked the car up and put the car in gear and let the wheel spin freely.
How do u put it in gear and let the wheel spin freely on a mtx? With no gas it would just stall.
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

out of curiosity.. is it cheaper to just go manual when your auto tranny blows? I mean well on my maxima i did an auto to manual swap and it ran around 500 dllrs with everything included as far parts and stuff..did all the work myself and it was a pain locating the right mounts... automatic trans was heavier and 500 dllrs also...
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”