Just bought 93 V6 GS, what should i look for?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
KanadianIceMan

Just bought 93 V6 GS, what should i look for?

Post by KanadianIceMan »

The Engine sounds perfectly, goingto check the compression shortly when i have the time.

there is a slight tick, but havnt found any direct hreads to this issue?

its power everything although the Air does not seem to switch vents when adjusted so i gotta crawl under and see what is not being switched over.

sunroof works perfectly so that is a nice bonus.

umm driver side power lock buttom does not seem to even have a switch so i think the physical trigger must have fallen.

bought at auction, the battery was dead but big whoop. Black in color, almost perfect body just like 2 small spots that can be fixed easily.

tell this noob what to look for!
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

The little tick is most likley the HLA's (Hydrolic Lash Adjusters) or the camshaft friction gears may be worn. They always go on our motors and there is no need for concern its more of a annoying noise then anything. Sounds like you got a good car though, you may need to take the door panel off to check if the power door lock mechanism has come apart. You may want to take out the heater control to see if the cable fell off for when you change the vent range. Welcome to the board :D
Last edited by solo_ryder on July 24th, 2005, 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
killerpickle

Post by killerpickle »

Watch out for the distributer failing - this is a big pain in the a--, you will have the engine cut off at cruising speeds and you will have to pull over and wait a few minutes to start it again. This is incredibly common. Watch out for the CV joints, check for clicking when turning - these cars are notorious for that. The K8 (1.8 v6) that is in your car is also known to burn oil - keep an eye on that. If you think the engine is on its way out, just drop a KLZE in it.

Have fun with your new car...
Tom Alexander
93 MX3 GSR - KLZE / stage 3 clutch / PRM Intake / 2.25" exhaust - dual 3" outlet
full custom black and red interior / KLZE ECU / JE50 VAF
http://home.cogeco.ca/~mx3/ - updated dec 1/03
Juans_93_MX3

Post by Juans_93_MX3 »

Please dont tell me its a automatic...
2008 Mazda 3
1993 MX3 GS
KLZE, Fidanza flywheel, KL31 CAMs, South Bend Stage I Clutch, Pacesetter STS, SS AutoChromes, Magnaflow muffler, 2.25' Exhaust, CAI, Blaster Coil HEI, KLDE Valvetrain, 5 Speed Swap
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Re: Just bought 93 V6 GS, what should i look for?

Post by jschrauwen »

KanadianIceMan wrote:The Engine sounds perfectly, goingto check the compression shortly when i have the time.
there is a slight tick, but havnt found any direct hreads to this issue?
its power everything although the Air does not seem to switch vents when adjusted so i gotta crawl under and see what is not being switched over.
sunroof works perfectly so that is a nice bonus.
umm driver side power lock buttom does not seem to even have a switch so i think the physical trigger must have fallen.
bought at auction, the battery was dead but big whoop. Black in color, almost perfect body just like 2 small spots that can be fixed easily.
tell this noob what to look for!
Hope the compression test shows good results. Not sure what you mean by "Air does not seem to switch vents", can't switch from floor to vents to defrost? 92 and 93 cable actuated (mechanical). Door handle and lock combo by the door panel both have a rod connected to each of them that's held in place by a very small delicate piece of plastic to retain it in it's corresponding lever. Perhaps the plastic piece broke and the rod has popped out of that lever. Door panel is easy to remove to confirm. Junkyard parts will be the norm as it follows with vehicles our age. '01 and up Miata uses same handles/locks but might have to confirm the small plastic clip part on that.
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas
KanadianIceMan

Post by KanadianIceMan »

thx all,

For the Air, yes it will not switch from vent to floor to windowshield, although SOME and very little was coming from the floor. i phyisically could see the mechanical switch moving the rocker arm, nothing seemed to be in the way.

IT IS MANUAL!

193 000 KM

a little tear in the driver seat backrest on the left by the door, but nothing to cry about i can just put in race seats or covers like the average joe does, or have my sister make custom ones for me.

one light is toast but no bigger there, although both are very very milky and distoring, needs a good clean.

the seats i love very comfortable and keep you in your place.

i just need to find the model of the cd deck that is in there so i can find a faceplate on ebay or from some electronic store, hopefuly it works and i dont have to buy a new deck.
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

A new deck isn't a bad idea for a 12 year old car regardless. Just get a new cheaper Pioneer deck for like $90 and call it a day. It's not worth investing into getting a 10 year old car stereo repaired.

As for power door locks, there is no switch for actual power doors. You have to manually unlock the driver's door, then the passenger door autoamtically unlocks. So the passenger door is the only one with power door locks.
If you choose to add a keyless entry or alarm, you'll need to buy an aftermarket door lock switch for the driver's side.
KanadianIceMan

Post by KanadianIceMan »

hmm when i did lock the car last i did to the passenger first.

also there is a deck already installed, teh OEM one is out of it.

the deck that is in there has no faceplate. therefore i gotta rip it out to find out what model it is and track down a faceplate :D

thx for replies all!
V8KOMX3
Supporting Member

Post by V8KOMX3 »

hey welcome to the bb you will find more info on here than you will know what to do with, but as far as your source unit goes fidfing a new faceplate is usually hard to do and getting one from the manufacturer is not going to be an option for you because they almost allways cost more than just buying a brand new unit. I hope you do find one and good luck.
Teal 1993 MX3GSZE
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

BTW, almost forgot, welcome to MX-3.com BB.
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas
KanadianIceMan

Post by KanadianIceMan »

thx all for the nice welcome, good to see everyone is on top of thing s:D

good news, and bad news,

good news first : found the faceplate, a dealer forgot to bring it into the auction, cant wait to see what deck it is :D

the bad news, going to get the car today, the one key we got doesnt open the doors!, do these cars have two keys for ignition and entry?

no biggie really we are going to get it re-keyed, some new rubber on it, will be checking the engine thursday hopefully, i need a cheap muffler tho i cant stand stock :(
welshdragon2005

Post by welshdragon2005 »

When ever you hear the car ticking try turning the air conditioner off and see if it stops. My '92mx3 that I bought yesterday does the same thing.
neutral
Supporting Member

Post by neutral »

KanadianIceMan wrote:...the bad news, going to get the car today, the one key we got doesnt open the doors!, do these cars have two keys for ignition and entry?

no biggie really we are going to get it re-keyed, some new rubber on it, will be checking the engine thursday hopefully, i need a cheap muffler tho i cant stand stock :(
Same key should open door and start the car.
Image -Jim
KanadianIceMan

Post by KanadianIceMan »

k the locks are fooked, they are gonna get punched out, along with new rubber.
bigtime

Post by bigtime »

look for a klze :D

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”