which spark plug?

A Forum For All Forced Induction Systems Topics Such As Turbos, Superchargers and Nitrous Oxide.
facko

which spark plug?

Post by facko »

imma be getting new plugs and wires soon for my car and was wondering what plugs/wires u other turbo guys r using?
BP swap -- Pacesetter Header -- Custom CAI -- Custom 2.5 Exhaust w/ a Thrush Glasspack and 40 Series Flowmaster -- SPEC Stage 2 Clutch Kit
95 rs

Post by 95 rs »

im gonna be using NGK iridium plugs with accel 8 mm wires i had them on my b6de and i loved them
95 rs with custom short ram air, b&m short throw shifter, probe 2.0L header with 2 1/4" exhaust all the way back, catco high flow cat, apc high flow muffler with 4.5" tip, accel 8 mm wires, blaze red, cf altezzas, gun metal 17" mr7s, slotted cross drilled rotors on the way with hawk hps pads, red and white interior, other then that its stock.
DavidOS

Post by DavidOS »

ngk and bosch i have tryed both worked well
1994, GS, KLZE, 67mm TB, LightFlywheel, Centreforce Stg 3 Clutch, CAI, KL36 ecu, B&M shortshifter, Solid poly mounts, lightweight Aluminum Cross memeber, 2.5 high flo cat, 2.5 all back, Tanabe Exhaust, optima battery, ZX2 HD tokicos, eibach prokit, black altezzas.....

http://www.modifiedmazda.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.
nos92mx3
Supporting Member

Post by nos92mx3 »

Facko Is this going on a boosted setup?
You may want to look into going with a colder plug if it is. Also Dont be surprised if it spits and pops at the stock plug gap you may have to gap the down on a boosted engine.
I run pretty much anything advance has. But recently is been autolite.
92' Rs-t b6t/De - RIP

93' Rs-t BPT - Sold

03' WRB wrx Wagon - Current
facko

Post by facko »

yea it is going on a boosted car and i remember reading somewhere about the colder running plugs...but how do u distinguish colder running plugs from regular ones lol probably a dumb question but i never really had to look for em until now
BP swap -- Pacesetter Header -- Custom CAI -- Custom 2.5 Exhaust w/ a Thrush Glasspack and 40 Series Flowmaster -- SPEC Stage 2 Clutch Kit
nos92mx3
Supporting Member

Post by nos92mx3 »

Well When you go to the parts counter ask them for a step colder of that plug.
Though i know with the b6t you have to order the step colder ngks.

Usually the plug will be written somewhat like ngk bkr7s The # designates the heat range. I believe a 8 would be colder and a 6 would be hotter.

Find out what the stock heatrange plug is on the DOHC and get a step colder.
:D
92' Rs-t b6t/De - RIP

93' Rs-t BPT - Sold

facko

Post by facko »

sounds simple enough to me! ill have to head down to advanced later today and get some lol
osargeant

Post by osargeant »

facko, let me go one better and tell you exactly what you need, the stock NGK plug for MX3 1.6 DOHC is a BKR5E-11 so for a boosted motor you should be using the BKR6E-11 which is one step colder. If you use the Denso Irdiums that would be equivalent to a IK20 plug.

You will also need to reduce the spark plug gap from the stock 0.44 to around 0.32 or 0.34 to avoid blowing out spark at higher rpm or boost levels.
JSpec Turbo MX3 (1.6 DOHC)
http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/310985

Port and Polished Head, Ported Intake Manifold, Valve Job, GTX Manifold, Hybrid Turbo, Cone Filter, 2.5" Exhaust, 2.5" Downpipe, ACT Street Clutch, Lightened Flywheel, MSD 6A Ignition, Boost Retard and SS Coil, Magnecor Plug Wires, Denso Iridium Plugs, UR Lightened Pulley, Spearco FMIC, Turbo XS BOV & MBC, BEGI RRFPR, Supra Injectors, Walbro 255 Fuel Pump, Autometer Gauges, Pivot Shift Light
facko

Post by facko »

thx alot osargent that makes things a lot easier lol
nos92mx3
Supporting Member

Post by nos92mx3 »

:D Good info :D
92' Rs-t b6t/De - RIP

93' Rs-t BPT - Sold

jordy

Post by jordy »

Can i use the same spark plugs on my B6T as posted above? I'm also looking voor the right numbers :lol:
nos92mx3
Supporting Member

Post by nos92mx3 »

Are you running stock boost?
92' Rs-t b6t/De - RIP

93' Rs-t BPT - Sold

jordy

Post by jordy »

yeah, the engine is brand new. So a will be running stock boost for a while. Who many PSI will i hit on stock boost?
facko

Post by facko »

i think stock is like 7? not 100% on that tho
jordy

Post by jordy »

DAMN, that's only like 0,5 bar. A pity :( And what will be the max boost of a B6T with a VJ-12 turbo? Around 0,8 bar (11,5 PSi)?

Return to “Forced Induction”