Distributor for 1.8L

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
chertel

Distributor for 1.8L

Post by chertel »

I need a distributor and the mazda dealer in edmonton says it will cost $700. If I did the klze swap now would the engine I get come with a distributor?
thanx.
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

Some of them do. However, depending on the year of the disty, you may need to rewire the harness. I'm not sure what the deal is in Canada, but in the US, it's only $160 for a remanufactured distributor with a lifetime warranty. Might want to look into that at local parts stores.
chertel

Post by chertel »

I did a search and found a discussion called distributor mod. I was wondering if I could do that as well? I'm going to keep searching.
johnnyb
Supporting Member

Post by johnnyb »

do the mod. In the V6 FAQ section theres a writeup on how to do it. This is by far the cheapest solution you have to permanently fix the problem
rece

Post by rece »

i have a brand new distributor with recipt that i can sell for 400, the original recipt shows 440 so this is a good deal. pm me back if interested
Jesse<BR>red 92 gs
bulaian

Post by bulaian »

I had to get mine replaced in december. Mazda Dealer here quoted me $850 for parts and labour. I ended up buying a new one with labour included for $500
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

bulaian wrote:I had to get mine replaced in december. Mazda Dealer here quoted me $850 for parts and labour. I ended up buying a new one with labour included for $500
Labor? Can they break up the labor cost into seconds? If it took a skilled mechanic more than 10 minutes to install this distributor, he should have to take a short yellow bus to work everyday.
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

They charge the labor by the hour and they have a book that sais how long the job should take. It the book sais one hour and it takes 5 minutes they still charge for one hour. However, normal mechanic rates are about 55 and hour so it sounds like they are charging 2 hours for the job. That is sutpid cause like Lakers said it shouldn't take ten minutes to und two bolts and replace the disty.

However, Lakers, where did you find a remanned disty for 160.00? That is super cheap...
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

PATDIESEL wrote:They charge the labor by the hour and they have a book that sais how long the job should take. It the book sais one hour and it takes 5 minutes they still charge for one hour. However, normal mechanic rates are about 55 and hour so it sounds like they are charging 2 hours for the job. That is sutpid cause like Lakers said it shouldn't take ten minutes to und two bolts and replace the disty.

However, Lakers, where did you find a remanned disty for 160.00? That is super cheap...
Autozone. A couple people had said they had a couple failures with thier remanned distys from them, but mine has been in two years, and still runs like a champ (knock on wood).
chertel

Post by chertel »

I found a distributor for $400 new. The mazda dealer in edmonton charges $80 an hour and I had my car towed there so that sucks. I was reading the v6faq and was interested in the permanent dist. fix by
Gro Harlem. Instead of the hei ignition module I was thinking of getting an msd ignition control box. Anyway definately amazing work by Gro :D
chertel

Post by chertel »

I was just organizing repair and autobody bills from my mx-3 and noticed that the distributor invoice said that the distributor was an mx-6 model. Do mx-3's come stock with mx-6 distributors or are they just the same?
Rick Johnson

Post by Rick Johnson »

Yes they are the same, but you shoulda just went with the HEI & coil, far better then stock for about $100 ....
2fazed
Supporting Member

Post by 2fazed »

If your still looking for one, I've got one I'll sell you for $80 shipped.
16 Hyundai Elantra Value Edition
06 Mazdaspeed6 2.3T
93 626 ES 2.5
92 Mx-3 RS 1.6
93 Mx-3 GS 2.5
93 Mx-3 RS 1.6

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”