To all you gear heads

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
gonzoid

To all you gear heads

Post by gonzoid »

I posted up about a week ago looking for help on this noisy K8,At idle it sounds like a tractor off idle its ok,pulled the timing belt marked were it was,checked all the pulleys and tensioner looked/felt fine.Put it back like it was,all kinds of racket from the tensioner,started fresh,lined up all the marks,started it up and it sounded different,fact it might be more quite now once I put the timming covers back on,There is a difference because before when it was ideling and I removed the oil fill cap it would die,now it does not.I am thinking the belt was off a tooth before, even though it ran fine.I bought this car this way.I was about to do the friction gear springs but now?Any comments would be appreciated.thanks Gnz
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

mine dies when i take the cap off...just had a new timing belt installed.
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
gonzoid

Post by gonzoid »

It didnt die before?Does the engine sound different?feel different?Did the belt break or was it just due?
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

replace the tensioner and belt. If the belt has stretched byond specs it will not time properly. Also the idler could wear out other tings if the motor has a hard time pulling it around. (would take a bit though) Idlers are 40.00 and the belt is about the same.
Where is the noise coming from exactly?
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

Your car should definitely die when you take off the oil cap. The K series engines are under vacuum and the heads are connected to the intake. If you take off the oil cap, it should introduce a huge vacuum leak that will kill the car.
babyblueMX3
Supporting Member

Post by babyblueMX3 »

lakersfan1 wrote:Your car should definitely die when you take off the oil cap. The K series engines are under vacuum and the heads are connected to the intake. If you take off the oil cap, it should introduce a huge vacuum leak that will kill the car.
yup that's right

If you said the noise won't be as loud once you put back the cover in place, I'm assuming the noise IS coming from the belt area. I'm suspecting a faulty TBTA (timing belt tensioner arm)
RIP 400whp ZE-T MX-3
Current car : Golf 01 GTI 1.8T (15 psi)
gonzoid

Post by gonzoid »

I dont know if it will sound different with the covers on,that will be next,can you tell by looking at the tenioner if its bad? The pulleys feel ok.I am back outside to play with it more.Anyone have a working link for timing belt /sprocket alignment?I am sure I have it right but a good set of pics will help.Thanks to all.
babyblueMX3
Supporting Member

Post by babyblueMX3 »

turn the crank pulley bolt so the belts can turn and check if the pulley hits the tbta, also if you can compress the tbta by hand it is dead
RIP 400whp ZE-T MX-3
gonzoid

Post by gonzoid »

I cannot push in the plunger by hand,maybe only 1/2 way by hand.OK new info ,with the timing cover off and running I found i can take the handle end of my plastic hammer and put pressure on the timming belt and make the racket stop.Working on a budget ,do you guys have a guess which item would be the cause?I know the right thing to do would be replace everything but I wouldnt mind trying the main pulley first or tentioner.I know some will say do it right and replace it all you cheap bastard,I understand but if only one item is causing this noise I would like to discover which part that is if possible. Thanks to all whom replied. :D
babyblueMX3
Supporting Member

Post by babyblueMX3 »

gonzoid wrote:I cannot push in the plunger by hand,maybe only 1/2 way by hand
your not even suppose to push it a little by hand..It has to go in a vice so you can compress it. and this will give you also slack in the belt..IMO change the tbta
RIP 400whp ZE-T MX-3
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

I got the tenioners if u need em. also the car wont die if the timing is a bit advanced and idleling a bit fast. Thats how i can get mine not to shut fof when i remove the cap..but its normal. Hit me up if u need the tensioners.
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
gonzoid

Post by gonzoid »

Thanks for the offer on the tensioner,i ordered things before I seen yours.Locally they want an arm and a leg for parts to be ordered in.I have never used rock auto parts online but i did this time.
cloyes tentioner p/n 95324 $44.79
timing pulley w/cam arm $ 68.xx
T/belt $ 36.xx

huge spread in parts prices from different manufactures.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”