catalytic converter size?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
turbulence23

catalytic converter size?

Post by turbulence23 »

for a gruopbuy here in holland i am looking for the sizes of the stock catalytic converter ( hope i'm spelling it correct) for the v6 and 4 cilinder mx3.

i need the complete length of the cat, including the connection mouths ( dont know the excact name in english)

i cant find it anywhere on the net, and i need the sizes in inches because i am letting them fly in from usa..

thanx in advance
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

If you're just keeping the stock exhaust, order a 2" catalytic converter and have your shop fit it in. Your exhaust is really 1-7/8", but you're not going to easily find a catalytic converter in that size. And I wouldn't worry about length either. As mentioned, your exhaust shop should be able to fit it in if it's too long or too short by adding or cutting off pipe. I'd suggest a 2-1/4" catalytic converter if you ever plan on putting on new exhaust pipes in the future, though.
turbulence23

Post by turbulence23 »

lakersfan1 wrote:If you're just keeping the stock exhaust, order a 2" catalytic converter and have your shop fit it in. Your exhaust is really 1-7/8", but you're not going to easily find a catalytic converter in that size. And I wouldn't worry about length either. As mentioned, your exhaust shop should be able to fit it in if it's too long or too short by adding or cutting off pipe. I'd suggest a 2-1/4" catalytic converter if you ever plan on putting on new exhaust pipes in the future, though.
well what the idea was, this guy makes these cats for us. he makes them 100% fitting to the car, so he makes a exact copy of a original one, except, these cats have less restriction as the original ones, but it doesnt create that much sound.

so its directly appliable on the car. just get the old one out, put this new one under the car and thats it..

he is making some for the mx6, and is also willing to make it for the mx3, but he needs to have the length of the cat so he can produce them for us..

i found a site that has a stock one on the site:

http://www.partstrain.com/products/Cata ... A~MX3.html#

but i cant find the length from left to right anywhere...

what i need is the complete length from left to right just as shown on the picture.

what does the nunber: 16 1/4 OAL mean? does that has to do anything with the size?
turbulence23

Post by turbulence23 »

anybody???
V8KOMX3
Supporting Member

Post by V8KOMX3 »

I will measure my spare one in the morning, it is a high flow which works for small black v8's and I believe it is about the size the origional one is and bolts up that same so I will get back to you tommorow night
Teal 1993 MX3GSZE
Gro Harlem

Post by Gro Harlem »

it'd be cheaper and easier to buy a universal-fit free-flow cat and have a muffler shop weld flanges to fit your car exactly.

GO on ebay and look up "carsound 2.25" or "2.0" and you'll find a billion cats for $55 shipped on there. Pay a muffler shop another $40 or so and they'll custom weld some flanges & bolt it to ur exhaust.

its like saving $50 + having free installation.
Noble Green Metallic 93' GS Hybrid, 91' 1.8 323
DONATE TO MX-3.COM

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”