Fiberglass Dashboard

A forum for Appearance Discussions. (Exterior, Body Kits, & Interior)
Gro Harlem

Fiberglass Dashboard

Post by Gro Harlem »

I'm talkin to my buddy who is into composites if he could make me a fiberglass dashboard. He said "sure it'll take a long time but i could do one".

I'm talking replacement, not overlay. For weight purposes only! Don't even ask "what about a cf one" b/c in the amounts he buys (very small) he couldn't do a cf dash for a reasonable price or profit margin, nor would he have the time or care to make one that looks good.

we are talkin fglass only. Who thinks they would be interested in one? i'm still trying to figure out what kind of weight savings we are talking about, but it could be 15-25 which is a decent amount to remove from the front-half of the car.
Noble Green Metallic 93' GS Hybrid, 91' 1.8 323
DONATE TO MX-3.COM
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mitmaks »

depending on price i might be
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
Gro Harlem

Post by Gro Harlem »

price of materials along apparently will be 150ish. on top of labor, it'll be considerable in price 500+ probably
DONATE TO MX-3.COM
mxprecidia

Post by mxprecidia »

i will be interested as long as its for the 95 style dash.
www.illegalCustoms.com
Tri-State Area Car Club
mitmaks

Post by mitmaks »

$500+ too expensive, ill just stick with stock one for now
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

As much as I would love to fiberglass the dash, I would need to get everything else done to match, lotsa work and lotsa $$$
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
ooELMOoo

Post by ooELMOoo »

im interested as long as we can pick the colour and its 94+ dash style...or even better a new style not in a mx-3
----------------
| CUSTOM X3|
----------------
Vanished

Post by Vanished »

yah if you could make a new style that would fit the two different years of dash...hmm could be cool
1992 Blaze MX-3 GS *R.I.P.*

1993 Blue 93 SE-ZE

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2770987/2
V8KOMX3
Supporting Member

Post by V8KOMX3 »

That would be way cool to have a custom dash with spots for all kinds of gauges and a laptop ans so on and so on, but that is just a dream I don't see it ever happening
Teal 1993 MX3GSZE
mxprecidia

Post by mxprecidia »

V8KOMX3 wrote:That would be way cool to have a custom dash with spots for all kinds of gauges and a laptop ans so on and so on, but that is just a dream I don't see it ever happening
hell yeah. nothing too dramatic but simple things like a few spaces for gauges and whatnot, some nice indentations here and there to jazz it up a little bit, space for a monitor, etc.... u know. awesome.
www.illegalCustoms.com
Tri-State Area Car Club
Gro Harlem

Post by Gro Harlem »

for the record, i hate the new style dash....so sorry it won't be that style.

and making one with customer tv's and gauges would require a framework thingy to be made with wood. Then you could make a mold once that is 100% completed. That'd be way more work & money than you'd ever be willing to spend, probably well over 1000 dollars. Go to a shop and ask for the same thing and they'd tell you 1000 minimum.

my buddy with a show-cavlier spent 2800 on teh dash & door panels completely custom made. They used fiberglass resin on top of a wood framework and just sanded it. They didn't make a mold & then recreate it.

in other words, his dash & door panels probably weigh 3-5 times more than the stockers b/c of that wood underneath.
DONATE TO MX-3.COM
PATDIESEL

Post by PATDIESEL »

I wouldn't do a fiberglass dash. The stock dash is meant to be hit by human flesh in an accident. A fiberglass one is going to spinter and cut the hell out of your face, torso or arms. Please don't say no it won't if you've never broken a piece of fiberglass. Think about a crumpled car and how that long piece of fiberglass is going to split from the mounting bolts and send pieces and leave swords of pieces jutting from the dash area.
Not a good idea IMO.
On a second note, I doubt you'll save much weight if any at all. Have you ever felt the weight of the stock dash, it can't weigh more than 10-15 pounds. Fiberglass gets heavy quickly. 3 layers thick and that long and deep. I'd bet that fiberglass one weighs in at 15-25. If for looks only on a show car, good job. A dailey driven one, death trap and heavier...
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
Gro Harlem

Post by Gro Harlem »

meh.... if i get in a wreck in this car i'll probably die anyways, might as well make my face unreconizable while i'm at it.

+ why would i smash into the dash if i had my seatbelt on? lol

i'm kinda debating transforming my car into a fully prepped racer, but it won't be competitive in any classes unless I remove my KLZE and put a k8 back in there so I dunno what i want to do.
DONATE TO MX-3.COM

Return to “Appearance”