quick CAI question

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
xerostatus

quick CAI question

Post by xerostatus »

Ok, so i got around to installing my cai, but i ended up putting the filter straight down directly from the VAF, as opposed to most people i see who has theirs going down behind what used to be the area the coolant resevoir'd be. Question is, would i still get the same benefits, or is this placement of the filter too close to engine? and would this cause more risk, as far as hydrolocking goes, since its not enclosed behind the fender?

Here's how i did it: (forgive the nasty dirty filthy engine/bay, ive neglected my mx-3 cause of my RX-7 :oops: )
V8KOMX3
Supporting Member

Post by V8KOMX3 »

well I was going to put mine that way but I did fear that to much water and dirt would get in there. Also my headers would put alot of heat out that direction. I was not brave enough to do it but let us know how it goes.
Teal 1993 MX3GSZE
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

Yes, you're going to hydrolock like that. The engine in my car is from a Probe. The guy lived in Hollywood, CA and did his cold air intake just like yours. The engine had TWO bent rods in it.
xerostatus

Post by xerostatus »

Another question... so i did the whole search thing, and ive read most cai threads i can find all the way back to 2002, so if you still wanna yell at me, er i guess that wouldnt be so bad =P

Anyways, the qestion is how in god's name are you supposed to jam the filter behind the fender, especially with the A/C line smack dab in the middle? I saw the pics on the other thread up'd by gro harlem and jschrauwen, and if im not mistaken ya'll still have the A/C there. and yeah, im sure the pipe would fit, but im lost as to how and where imma be able to get the filter in that location. :oops:
V8KOMX3
Supporting Member

Post by V8KOMX3 »

Most people order a smaller one from K&N or ebay. I used the filter from my old prm intake which I think may be a little to small but if you find a good one let us know
Teal 1993 MX3GSZE
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

xerostatus wrote:Anyways, the qestion is how in god's name are you supposed to jam the filter behind the fender, especially with the A/C line smack dab in the middle? I saw the pics on the other thread up'd by gro harlem and jschrauwen, and if im not mistaken ya'll still have the A/C there. and yeah, im sure the pipe would fit, but im lost as to how and where imma be able to get the filter in that location. :oops:
A slight manipulation of the AC line forward toward the front of the car without compromizing it. As large as humanly possible oval re-chargable air filter (preferably K&N) or even a round one that can be squeezed past the line. Placing filter in fender well without aluminum intake tube first followed by attaching tube after. Final stage (yet to be done) is to psuedo seal fender well cavity with material of choice. See ebay CAI's specifically for MX3's depicting 2 plastic type plates dedicated to seal around aluminum tube and prevent engine bay hot air from entering fender well. Winter time option (for year round users) is to remove those 2 plates and seal the rectangular and circular holes in the front postion of the fender well cavity. CAI - (COLD Air Intake), by placing filter in engine bay behind rad, it will get a constant feed of warm air that has passed through the rad, or from headers and thereby being an HAI (Hot Air Intake) - not good, hence the issues that LF1 mentioned.
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

I used a mushroom filter with the foam filter element. I moved the coolant resivoir permanently. Then, I put the filter in the hole sideways and assembled the filter and 3" tube with the filter already in the hole and used a small socket to tighten the clamp.
ninjajim4

Post by ninjajim4 »

xerostatus wrote:Another question... so i did the whole search thing, and ive read most cai threads i can find all the way back to 2002, so if you still wanna yell at me, er i guess that wouldnt be so bad =P

Anyways, the qestion is how in god's name are you supposed to jam the filter behind the fender, especially with the A/C line smack dab in the middle? I saw the pics on the other thread up'd by gro harlem and jschrauwen, and if im not mistaken ya'll still have the A/C there. and yeah, im sure the pipe would fit, but im lost as to how and where imma be able to get the filter in that location. :oops:
i kno exactly what you're talking about, and i've come to the conclusion that people MUST be using a smaller filter than the one you or i received, because there is no easy way to get it in if it just don't fit, even with pushing that AC line... you will NOT be able to get it in from the engine bay no matter what, as you probably know jsut through visual inspection.

i ended up taking out the headlight/partially removing the bumper, then bending the metal right along where the headlight was attached, as well as bending the hell outta my filter, and even then, it was no picnic. it's a crappy K&N knock off anyway, so i wasn't too concerned about it, and jsut have it as is until i get a new, smaller K&N. i don't relish the idea of taking it out.

speaking from experience, i would say the best thing for you to do would be to pickup a new smaller filter before attempting to relocate.
xerostatus

Post by xerostatus »

Just so i dont get bitten on the a-- twice, about what size do you think WOULD fit?
dewthis

Post by dewthis »

Any filter will fit. It just takes a little effort. Connect the filter to the piping before you work it around the AC line, it will make it a lot easier. I don't have any pics of mine but its just like Gros.
65 shot > V8
ninjajim4

Post by ninjajim4 »

xerostatus wrote:Just so i dont get bitten on the a-- twice, about what size do you think WOULD fit?
lol, i like the way you put that.

as soon as my car gets outta the paint shape, i'll pick up a new filter and let ya kno... if you find out first, please do fill me in
xerostatus

Post by xerostatus »

hoo-rah!

dewthis, you were indeed right. The main reason i thought it wouldnt fit was because of the AC line, which i ended up just sorta pulling it outta the way. It worked, and i think the AC still fine. It was sorta flexible, and i didnt bend it too much but it did move a little after removing the nut on near the strut tower. i just had someone help me by holding on to the AC line while i just sorta shoved the filter down there.

Results:

Well, i finally got it done. Thanks for all the replies/help. :P
neutral
Supporting Member

Post by neutral »

Good deal. That install looks much better and will def give improved performance over the previous install pic. :2thumbsup: You've minimized the chance for hydrolock via H2O getting into the intake and you've gotten the filter away from the hot area of the engine bay. Congrats.
Image -Jim

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”