klze lacking power.

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
skdrcr

klze lacking power.

Post by skdrcr »

This is on my buddies 93 klze mx-3.

He was driving it last week and then he noticed
that it was lacking a little bit of power.

Through the lower rpm band it struggles almost like it's
sputtering then around 4500 rpms it has power all the
way up to redline.

It's the same in each gear.

His car was overheating (a little past halfway) one day
when he noticed that the radiator cap (under the intake) wasn't
screwed all of the way on.

Some of the mechanics up at his work are saying that his main bearings
are possibily swollen from the overheating and that's what's causing
the lack of power from idle to around 4500 rpms.

That's sounds kind of bogus to me but I'm not 100% sure.

It sounds more like a timing issue to me, what do you guys think?

Have you ever heard of swollen bearings from overheating
on a klze motor?

thanks for the help,

Chris 8)
skdrcr

Post by skdrcr »

BTW, here's his setup VVVV

KLZE motor.

KL08 ecu

1.8 intake manifold

kl02 vaf.
dewthis

Post by dewthis »

Swollen bearings, hmm.. thats funny.

I would do the paper test on the #1 VIRS. Better yet check both of them. I ran the same set-up K8 ecu and KL02 VAF and this seems to run rich. Pull a couple of plugs to get an idea of how its running, rich or lean.

What shape is the ignition system? Time for a tune up?
65 shot > V8
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

The best thing to do would be to utilize the search function.. this topic has been covered many times on this forum. The reason the car is running rich is because the KLZE injectors are bigger (flow more fuel per cycle) than the K8 injectors. Basically when using your stock K8 ECU.. its telling the injectors to fire longer than they should be. This is the short and skinny answer.. there are other factors that could also be causing the engine to run rich as well.

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

Tunes67 wrote:The best thing to do would be to utilize the search function.. this topic has been covered many times on this forum. The reason the car is running rich is because the KLZE injectors are bigger (flow more fuel per cycle) than the K8 injectors. Basically when using your stock K8 ECU.. its telling the injectors to fire longer than they should be. This is the short and skinny answer.. there are other factors that could also be causing the engine to run rich as well.Tunes67
Actually, I think he may be running a little lean due to K08 IM, TB, ECU and an MX6 VAF (wonder if this is being used to compensate for the possible lean mixture considering he's not using the original JE50). All I would recommend is like Tunes said and do a search on similar issues. Aside from doing the usual things like verifying the timing, checking plug colour, vaccum leaks including intake tubing, disty contacts, rotor contacts, TB cleanliness, TPS adjustment, etc, etc, etc. Some real specific details as to what has already been checked and discounted and what is still a question mark.
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”