Ignition Timing

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
shawno

Ignition Timing

Post by shawno »

Hey i have KLZE and i was trying to advance the timing of it.
I have a timing light and its set at 6 Degrees and i turn the distuber full travel both ways and it doesnt move.

Is there something else i have to do, or does the ecu advance it by its self

because it feels like it lags at lower rpm in first gear it dosnt feel up to power.
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

You need to have TEN & GND jumpered on the diagnostic box in order to adjust your initial timing.

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
babyblueMX3
Supporting Member

Post by babyblueMX3 »

yup diagnostic mode is the way to go. 10 BTDC is stock, I don't know how much you want to advance it but IIRC I read somewhere that the ecu will automatically correct the timing if it's in a certain range. Someone else could explain better than that. I'll let others explain
RIP 400whp ZE-T MX-3
Current car : Golf 01 GTI 1.8T (15 psi)
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

The ECU wont correct for over advance or to far retarded initial timing. What it will do once the jumper is removed is automatically adjust the additional amount of retard or advance as needed for driving conditions based on information from various sensors, like the coolant temp sensor, O2 Sensors, TPS, etc..

For example: If you set your initial timing to say 15 degrees BTDC and then take it for a test drive up a hill under load. The ECU will retard the timing a bit if your at WOT under load. But if you have set your initial timing to far advanced.. it wont be able to retard it back far enough to avoid knocking and pinging. Unless you are up for a bit of experimentation to find out how far advanced you can set your initial timing.. I would recommend just setting it at stock specifications.

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”