What are LSD transmissions?

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
Juans_93_MX3

What are LSD transmissions?

Post by Juans_93_MX3 »

I am just curious but what are LSD transmissions?
2008 Mazda 3
1993 MX3 GS
KLZE, Fidanza flywheel, KL31 CAMs, South Bend Stage I Clutch, Pacesetter STS, SS AutoChromes, Magnaflow muffler, 2.25' Exhaust, CAI, Blaster Coil HEI, KLDE Valvetrain, 5 Speed Swap
neutral
Supporting Member

Post by neutral »

LSD = Limited Slip Differential. Most cars don't have it. Some J-spec 6 cyl. MX-3's reportedly had it as an option. LSD allows regular differential function when going thru turns - that is, the outside drive-wheel turns faster than the inside wheel. All vehicles do that (except some older 4x4's) whether you have the LSD or not, but with a LSD, when a drive-wheel slips/spins on a slick surface or like at the start of a drag race, the LSD allows more torque to be transferred from the slipping wheel to the non-slipping wheel. Without the LSD, power continues to be applied to the slipping wheel and isn't transferred to the non-slipping wheel.

That's why ya get a one-tire burnout til ya pick up traction at the startline - unless you have a LSD. Sometimes the LSD is also called positraction - same thing. Now if you happen to have a LSD AND a badass engine, you can lay rubber with both tires - A major display of testosterone that is somewhat unique, always impressive, and surefire GOOD-GAWD proof that yea, though you drive thru the valley of death, you shall fear no evil...

cuz you are SURELY the BADDEST MOFO in the valley! :froggie_red: :2thumbsup:

There are a couple of aftermarket LSD's for the MX-3 GS. Quaife (sp?) makes one that Corksport sells and Gro Harlem installed another manufacturer's on his ride if memory serves... LSD's are expensive but great if you afford one.
Image -Jim
m92_MX3

Post by m92_MX3 »

do they make any for the RS because thats what just went in my tranny and i am looking to "beef" the new one up a little
CTC Racing
92 1.6L
93 323 Tranny, ACT clutch, Exhaust, cold air intake, MSD Blaster 2 coil, MSD 8.5mm super conductor wires NGK V-power platinum plugs,engine dress up,custom interior(almost done), GS front bumper, GS 5 spoke wheels Painted white.
neutral
Supporting Member

Post by neutral »

Not aware of a LSD made for the RS and I've searched a fair bit on the Net over time with no results. Phantom Grip makes a sorta-psuedo-LSD-like-device that fits the 1.6L but reviews have been mixed, and especially negative from ppl installing one using the std prings from Phantom Grip. Have to use their premium HD springs for any kind of results.
Image -Jim
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

Mazda Speed Protoge LSDs will fit any G series tranny. I don't know what tranny you are using, but if a G series it will fit. G series came on 94+ RS and all GS models. I don't know about pre 94 RSs though. A RS without a turbo won't need LSD though, you barely have enough power to spin one wheel.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
Gro Harlem

Post by Gro Harlem »

all RS's have a F-series & the msp lsd won't fit the 4-cyl g-series b/c of its spline count. 26 vs 28.

the msp is only feasible for a V6 car, almost a direct bolt in

I <3 mine :)
Noble Green Metallic 93' GS Hybrid, 91' 1.8 323
DONATE TO MX-3.COM
cjthor
Forum Moderator

Post by cjthor »

Gro Harlem wrote:all RS's have a F-series & the msp lsd won't fit the 4-cyl g-series b/c of its spline count. 26 vs 28.

the msp is only feasible for a V6 car, almost a direct bolt in

I <3 mine :)
I have a 94 MX3 with a 93 Protege transmission. I also had a MS LSD installed in the tranny and got some custom driveshafts made. Tada! LSD!!
Jarid Perry
94 mx3 Turrrbooooo (not even close to stock) 302WHP
71 Chevy C20 (tow rig!!)
77 Jeep CJ5 (no way its stock)
06 MINI Cooper S JCW GP (few goodies) 210WHP
2008 MINI Cooper Clubman S
m92_MX3

Post by m92_MX3 »

what about a LSD for a 323 tranny ? and if you guys dont know do you know of a website that would ?

Thanks
CTC Racing
92 1.6L
93 323 Tranny, ACT clutch, Exhaust, cold air intake, MSD Blaster 2 coil, MSD 8.5mm super conductor wires NGK V-power platinum plugs,engine dress up,custom interior(almost done), GS front bumper, GS 5 spoke wheels Painted white.

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”