Pics of my V8 RX-7 Project (finally)

A forum for Drag Strip/Track Racing Discussions. (NO Street Racing or Kill Stories, they WILL be deleted.)

Is a RX-7 V8 swap wrong?

Definately, you rotor-hater
36%
It's origional, I like it!
32%
It's good for Cheap speed.
18%
Where can I start my own?
7%
I could go either way.
7%

Total votes: 28

bmwm3guy

Post by bmwm3guy »

I would love to hear that thing idle... I hope you are realy happy with your project.

PS NICE JOB! :D
mattster

Post by mattster »

why didn't you just fix up and boost the hell out of the rotay out of the rx with a twin trubo set up you could easily blow the doors off almost everything on the street
i see where you are coming from. i have 3 reasons that i went V8 instead of TT rotary:

1. cost: the grand total for this project is right around $4500 and that included everything even the car. if i were to go rotary same horsepower i would guess it would be close to double... not in the price range of a college guy.

2. reliability: go to any RX7 forum and find that some guys, especially those with highly modified rotaries, have replaced/overhauled their engines more times than can be counted on a hand. the LT1 is going to provide the same high power (+torque :D ) with the reliability i want.

3. it sounds so cool. it turns more heads. it gets the ladies :wink: .

I would love to hear that thing idle... I hope you are realy happy with your project.
i promise you guys a video as soon as it is finished, you will hear it more than just idle 8) . i am stuck in michigan for my internship until august 20, though there is a hope it will be shipped out my direction before then.
RaverChankoMX3

Post by RaverChankoMX3 »

no V8 2nd gens are quick.

There were two or three of them at the GRM $2005 challenge and two placed top 5. Of course they were race-preped but ran 11-13s on slicks. Look for them in the fall issue
Asmodeus

Post by Asmodeus »

I believe an infamous shop dropped the 4.6 cobra engine into a focus...
And I've seen a 5.0L miata...
4G63 powered old school hyundai's...
SR20'd Datsun's...
-anything's possible, given research, time, and money.-
Anything we as a car fanatic can learn from, dissect, and hybridize should be given its due respect. Even if IT IS heresy. :D
Lol!
Mitsubishi, Mazda... what next?
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Or like this custom Mitsubishi Mirage AWD (this makes the AWD Mx-3 even more tempting) http://www.lilevo.com
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
manowar821
Supporting Member

Post by manowar821 »

I love it. Anyone else seen a crx with a 5.0 liter stroker? hehehe..
American muscle is great (I LOVE old american cars), and combine that with the finesse of an import sports car, you'll have yourself a nice setup!

What kind of blower is going on?
Kokiriwave

Post by Kokiriwave »

i bought a 88 rx-7 SE, automatic, and i can tell you that thing had absolutely no power (torque) but it was fun!...

lol, i think rotary car owners are the only people that'll drive to a gas station, put in a gallon of fuel and top off the oil...irony..

i'm in seattle by the way...
I want MAZDASPEED!
MY WEBSITE:: http://kingmx.net
Gro Harlem

Post by Gro Harlem »

Not really an original swap. I see sooo many chevy V8's going into RX7's nowadays, its pretty common.

But yea, Its definitely cheaper & more rewarding than trying to mess with the stock rotary. Only thing I don't like about it, is the weight distribution/handling aspects of the car get totally fux0red. FC's have 50/50 weight distribution. After that thing is running, you'd be lucky to have 60/40.

But 13's??? I'd be surprised if you weren't running in the 10's with that thing! The RX7 is so lightweight that the 1/4 mile (with sticky tires) will be better than you might think.

I've seen a 1st gen RX7 with a 3.8 liter V6 (the GM one, forgot what they call that engine) running mid-12's all day.
Noble Green Metallic 93' GS Hybrid, 91' 1.8 323
DONATE TO MX-3.COM
V8KOMX3
Supporting Member

Post by V8KOMX3 »

gm had the 3800 motor and they had the turbo version it was used for the buicls and a few other cars. I like the idea of the v8 swap for power but I will always love the rotory. the first one I had was awsome.
mattster

Post by mattster »

i can't believe this is still getting posts... though i am happy to talk about it! i took a job here in michigan, so i am here for the summer... that means i am away from the car when i was planning on finishing. i still have hopes to get it running before the end of summer, there's a possibility it will be moved out here, otherwise, i have 2 weeks in august to put as much time into as i please
no V8 2nd gens are quick.
i hope that you meant to say that there ARE quick V8 2nd gens out there rather than there are no quick ones?

i know that it is not all that origional of a swap, but that's not that big of a deal for me. in fact it makes it easier because it leaves forums full of guys that can help you a ton. though i must disagree about weight distribution... yes, they have 50/50 distribution stock. and yes with an LT1/6speed it will not be perfect any more, i guess it will be 55/45. however, if the right engine and tranny is chosen, for instance 5.0 w/aluminum heads and T-5 the perfect 50/50 can be preserved.

mid 12's to mid 13's in the quarter mile seem about average for an FC LT1. mid 11's to mid 12's for an LS1. the only guys who see 10's are heavily modified... and there are quite a few of those type.

i still promise on a good post later this summer with an update, so pics, and hopefully a few vids.
95 rs

Post by 95 rs »

well i have seen a 5.0L in a focus ( they have a conversion kit for it) ummm i personally would have went with a better 350 like the Z06 or waited until the Z07 comes out in 2007 :D they have WAY more power in them and would be alot more fun but im sure urs will be a blast to drive.... i have seen alot of american muscle here its morel ike redneck muscle tho..... a 460 in a fox body mustang running like 800 hp with a 200 shot of NOS on top of that and well a 347 stroker with a blower on it that the BOV is the size of 2 fists put together that has a 1000+ hp so well all the power to you and I hope the thing flys
95 rs with custom short ram air, b&m short throw shifter, probe 2.0L header with 2 1/4" exhaust all the way back, catco high flow cat, apc high flow muffler with 4.5" tip, accel 8 mm wires, blaze red, cf altezzas, gun metal 17" mr7s, slotted cross drilled rotors on the way with hawk hps pads, red and white interior, other then that its stock.
blkmx3ze

Post by blkmx3ze »

looks good

Return to “Drag Strip/Track Racing”