Hydraulic hood stand?

A forum for Appearance Discussions. (Exterior, Body Kits, & Interior)
mattieg

Hydraulic hood stand?

Post by mattieg »

My first car ('89 dodge shadow) had a hydraulic hood lift (?) or something, where you'd pop the hood, and lift it up and it'd pop right open and not need a prop. Anyone know what I mean? Know if it's possible to do this on our mx's?
my poor car..
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

You mean actuators, the same thing that holds up the rear hatch. Yes, i think this is possible even though i have not seen it done on a mx, it would be a good idea though, shouldnt be to hard to do. Maybe hit up the wreckers and check out what they got for used acctuators. Make sure u measure the distance from your mounting point to the hood so u can get teh proper one.
babyblueMX3
Supporting Member

Post by babyblueMX3 »

mm this is a great idea..something I would look into
RIP 400whp ZE-T MX-3
Current car : Golf 01 GTI 1.8T (15 psi)
MX3-Freak

Post by MX3-Freak »

Volkswagen Jetta hood actuators should work well. I was going to do this before....wrecked the car, don't care about it now :(.
Stock 1995 RS - Creek Blue
Car Meanins:
Honda: Hang On, Not Done Accelerating
FORD: Frequently Overhauled, Rarely Driven
Mazda: Must Always Zoom Down Asphalt
PoisonDrop

Post by PoisonDrop »

Wouldn't those be called shocks, not actuators? Aren't actuators the things that make your power door locks work?
PoisonDrop

Post by PoisonDrop »

Also...I think I read a post on here somewhere about hood shocks. I believe I remember someone saying you would need some sort of support or brace for the front of the hood...so the hood wouldn't get bent when it was up. Think about it. With the rods we have now...the front of the hood is supported. With hood shocks...the support for holding the hood up would be more in the middle of the hood and the front would just hang there w/o any support at all. It made since when I read it. I was going to try, but that's near last on my list of mods. Try searching for "hood shocks" you should find some useful info.
ccreech

Post by ccreech »

I have a couple pair of used hatch shocks.
93 GS KLZE Straight Neck (Parked)
Green Turd of MOCA
Car Domain
Legato626

shocks

Post by Legato626 »

If you give me a week i am planning to do it sense i got a CF hood. Ones i get it done i will post some pics.
1994 toyota supra single turbo
1994 Mazda MX-3 KL-ZE

If god owned a car... It would be a supra!!!
Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

Moss motersports sells a kit for the Miata. should work great for the MX. iv debated it as well i just hadent gotten around to doing it yet. and the fiberglass framing under the CF hoods are week. so that might need some more fiberglass to help it withstand the pressure of the shocks.
m92_MX3

Post by m92_MX3 »

last week there was a car show in town and i seen this 57 chevy and used to hold up the hood were like the hood shocks like my moms new car so i got the idea to do it on my car so last week i went to the junk yard after work looking for something that i think would work i found like 2 or three cars that might work but i havent had to much of a chance to go and measure the length of what i think we will need for our cars so i will go do that and this weekend and head out to the junk yard again
CTC Racing
92 1.6L
93 323 Tranny, ACT clutch, Exhaust, cold air intake, MSD Blaster 2 coil, MSD 8.5mm super conductor wires NGK V-power platinum plugs,engine dress up,custom interior(almost done), GS front bumper, GS 5 spoke wheels Painted white.
ryanlindenberg

Post by ryanlindenberg »

if you use google you can find some write-up of how to do it...i've seen them for other cars but not the MX...should be similar though and at the very least would give you some ideas.
CARDOMAIN WITH UPDATED PICS
"There are 2 kinds of pedestrians, the quick and the dead."
mx almere

Post by mx almere »

Here are some pics of MX-3's who have that. (and some other pics you might like)

http://www.senshispeed.nl/forum2/index. ... 4754&st=20

Most popular seems te be the option where rear hatch shocks are placed neer the front strut bar.
m92_MX3

Post by m92_MX3 »

sorry but i cant read what is going on here could you tell me what one ? so i dont have to go though them all. if you could it would be great thanks
CTC Racing
92 1.6L
93 323 Tranny, ACT clutch, Exhaust, cold air intake, MSD Blaster 2 coil, MSD 8.5mm super conductor wires NGK V-power platinum plugs,engine dress up,custom interior(almost done), GS front bumper, GS 5 spoke wheels Painted white.
PoisonDrop

Post by PoisonDrop »

There's a bunch of links to images a little ways down the page. The first link has a picture with an MX in the back that has hood shocks. Kinds tough to see how they were installed, though, but you should get the idea.
mx almere

Post by mx almere »

m92_MX3 wrote:sorry but i cant read what is going on here could you tell me what one ? so i dont have to go though them all. if you could it would be great thanks
There isn't much going on, just some pics of a meeting. Didn't think you would mind looking at the other pictures. This is one of the pics I ment.

Return to “Appearance”