EMERGENCY / TRANNY RELATED

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
mxprecidia

EMERGENCY / TRANNY RELATED

Post by mxprecidia »

i got a 95 rs dohc. it used to be an automatic but i swapped it to a manual last summer. even since i have been having problems with it. all i changed was the tranny. never changed axles or tps. im now on my 4th tranny. each tranny lasts about 4 months. then the internals blow. i believe my passenger side axle is putting too much pressure onto the tranny. i came to this conclusion because both times the tranny blew was during a right turn. the differential carriage or journal to the passenger side keeps breaking. good thing i have a warranty but i hate having my car down for this long a time. last time i got it fixed was last thursday, then 2 days later on saturday it broke again. is the axle on the passenger side different from auto to manual transmissions on the same application? i cant keep going thru trannies like this.

also, i know the protege lx tranny would fit, but if i were to get my hands on one of them, what else would i need to install it? protege axles, clutch, flywheel? thanks yo
www.illegalCustoms.com
Tri-State Area Car Club
jaydog5678

Post by jaydog5678 »

DUDE.. :lol: Why did you not change the axles? Atx axles are different than mtx on the gearbox side. Even the half-shaft for the atx's will be different than the mtx. Get the right stuff and you shall not be served any longer.
mxprecidia

Post by mxprecidia »

both axles are different from auto to manual?? i called autozone and asked how much a passenger side axle was. when he told me i asked does it matter whether its auto or manual and he said the computer didnt ask him that. so he said it was the same part whether it was auto or manual. but the thing is...the axles FIT when i swapped to manual. well the passenger side was a little snug, but i got them to fit...so wtf?

thanks
www.illegalCustoms.com
Tri-State Area Car Club
azazel95

Post by azazel95 »

mxprecidia wrote:but the thing is...the axles FIT when i swapped to manual. well the passenger side was a little snug, but i got them to fit...so wtf?
Ok, did they actually fit, or did you force them to fit?

BTW; I wouldn't trust what AutoZone says...Like the man said, "The computer doesn't ask me that..."
mxprecidia

Post by mxprecidia »

well when i did the auto to manual swap myself, i had a hard time fitting it and i had to force it by loosening the tranny from the block, bolting the middle of the axle up, then tightening the tranny to the bock again. but when i got another manual trans, i had it professionally put in and the guy said he didnt have a problem fitting it, and then when i got another manual trans, i got that professionally put in as well by another guy, and he said he didnt have a problem with it either. but i remember i did. i mean it fit when i put it in but it seemed like it was a couple centimeters too long.
www.illegalCustoms.com
Tri-State Area Car Club
mxprecidia

Post by mxprecidia »

hello? im still looking for help! thanks
www.illegalCustoms.com
Tri-State Area Car Club
azazel95

Post by azazel95 »

I'm almost positive that ATX and MTX axles are different, but not 100% sure. Hopefully someone verifies this soon for you.
mxprecidia

Post by mxprecidia »

I don't believe there is no one on this board who can verify this simple question. I'm sure there are people who have done auto to manual swaps! :(
www.illegalCustoms.com
Tri-State Area Car Club
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

I'll be doing the swap before the end of summer.. but I can tell you this.. Autozone is the last place to believe if you are asking for tech advice.. call mazda and ask if there is a difference in the axles if you dont believe Jaydog.. Autozone doesnt know their azz from a hole in the ground. For me.. the fact that they say there is no difference is enough proof that there is a difference. ;) Cheers

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
mxprecidia

Post by mxprecidia »

ok ammco seemed to have found the problem. This is the second time uninstalling the broken tranny and this time the passenger axle would not come out of the tranny. It was cocked in there. It was crooked. I am missing some kind of bracket that holds the axle straight. This makes sense beacuse I had trouble lining up the holes thats held up the middle of the alxle shaft. They had to cut off the axle. So what can someone tell me about this bracket. I think he said it goes on the enigne or something but he didnt know what he was talking about for he was just a customer service rep, not the mechanic.
www.illegalCustoms.com
Tri-State Area Car Club
atlantamx3
Supporting Member

Post by atlantamx3 »

I just want to know how hard it is to get the right damn axles for the tranny you are using??

Now you have paid a few different shops to get it done when it could have been done in ONE time by buying the right axles instead of trying to make something else work.
~Perry
Please visit
http://www.mx3-atlanta.com
mxprecidia

Post by mxprecidia »

atlantamx3 wrote:I just want to know how hard it is to get the right damn axles for the tranny you are using??

Now you have paid a few different shops to get it done when it could have been done in ONE time by buying the right axles instead of trying to make something else work.
Well its not like anyone on this board can confirm that the axles are different so how was I supposed to know?
www.illegalCustoms.com
Tri-State Area Car Club
atlantamx3
Supporting Member

Post by atlantamx3 »

Yeah but why even go thru the hassle of trying to find out on your own?

See what it has cost you?

Since you have a "2nd gen" MX-3... I think you were trying to describe the jack-shaft in an earlier post. There should be a bracket that attaches to the block which supports a "middle" axle looking thing.

Anyway- Go to AutoZone or wherever you buy your axles and get ones for a manual tranny MX-3. You will be happy, and so will your MX-3.
~Perry
Please visit
http://www.mx3-atlanta.com
cjthor
Forum Moderator

Post by cjthor »

The axles ARE different. I sent Barry a jackshaft off my manual and it didnt fit his auto.
Jarid Perry
94 mx3 Turrrbooooo (not even close to stock) 302WHP
71 Chevy C20 (tow rig!!)
77 Jeep CJ5 (no way its stock)
06 MINI Cooper S JCW GP (few goodies) 210WHP
2008 MINI Cooper Clubman S
jaydog5678

Post by jaydog5678 »

mxprecidia wrote:
atlantamx3 wrote:I just want to know how hard it is to get the right damn axles for the tranny you are using??

Well its not like anyone on this board can confirm that the axles are different so how was I supposed to know?
I told you once, and I'll tell you again. They are different. Now you know the hard way. :shrug:

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”