MUST KNOW INFO ON TURBO BUILD

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
mx3mikey

MUST KNOW INFO ON TURBO BUILD

Post by mx3mikey »

I just saw the thread by mx32nerDOTcom, (I didn't want to hijack your thread). I have to know how you can get this to work together. Will this all just bolt together? Did you have to go custom on the pistons due to the Mustang rods? Why have I never heard of this before, has this been brought up before or is this the first time? How much is the build going to run you? I know you probably don't want to give up all secrets, but the weak internals problem that has kept ALOT of people from building some sweet MX's. Frankly, the cost to build up our engine is prohibitive to most. If we could get some daily drivers into the 12's...people will take notice! :driver:

Mustang 347 Stroker Rods
Custom BRCPistons with 8.7:1 compression
Setup for full floating
??????????????????????????????????????????
babyblueMX3
Supporting Member

Re: MUST KNOW INFO ON TURBO BUILD

Post by babyblueMX3 »

mx3mikey wrote: Did you have to go custom on the pistons due to the Mustang rods?
Custom BRCPistons with 8.7:1 compression
well it says custom, I'm taking a guess that it is custom pistons ;)
RIP 400whp ZE-T MX-3
Current car : Golf 01 GTI 1.8T (15 psi)
mx32nerDOTcom

Post by mx32nerDOTcom »

What is it that you guys are sick of? Im just curious
1992 Mazda MX-3 GS 5 Spd <i>*In Progress*</i> 2.5L V6 SWAP IN PROGRESS NOW
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS/SE 5 Spd <i>*Project 2.5T*</i>
mx3mikey

Post by mx3mikey »

What exactly are you sick of? I found one other thread on this subject in the whole archive. Are you sick of telling people to search?
well it says custom, I'm taking a guess that it is custom pistons
I wasn't asking if he was using custom pistons. I was asking if he had to use custom pistons due to the fact he was using the Mustang rods, or if he could have used other types. What type of work that might have entailed?
Agreed.
Again...what are you agreeing to exactly?

Since I had joined this forum a while back...I have watched most of the posts and not replied on some that were of interest to me. I have recently been getting frustrated myself seeing the lack of willingness to give out information. There are a few people who post and are helpfull, but some of the veterans of the forums are just being ..... Check out all of my posts. I'm not waisting space on other peoples threads telling them to search or I'm sick of their subject. In fact I only attempt to pass info along when I do post. I don't have time for that, I doubt that many others do too.

Last thing...There are several questions that people have asked on this forum that have only recieved half .... answers. Questions like..How do you hook up smog equipment on a ZE, or How exactly do I get a Jspec engine to run correctly...etc., etc.. I have come to one simple conclusion, either you don't know the answers, or you are just withholding information on a board designed so we could share. I thank those of you who have been cool and been helpfull. I think I'm going to take a break from these boards for a while.
Custommx3
Site Administrator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Custommx3 »

Edited posts for language, rules are rules.
PATDIESEL

Post by PATDIESEL »

Ah, don't get so uptight. It is that us veterans are tired of answering all the same questions over and over.. There is information out there if you search. How would you feel after you have answered the same ? 20-30 times (really) it gets old, I know being new makes things harder, you just don't know what we do and are looking for answers. I believe that your question was legitimate and that some may have been a bit harsh with the replies, especially since they couldn't have known the answer anyway. Slow your roll and get to know some people on here. you'll get to know who will reply to you and who will get irritated. It is a great forum full of information.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
mx3mikey

Post by mx3mikey »

I'll give you that. I just wanted some straight info. I know alot of people with their own build secrets have spent ALOT of money finding out those secrets. I had no idea you could use a Mustang rod in our engine. With that kind of information you could build a stong FI engine pretty inexpensively. I guess I need to learn how to use Mega Squirt!
mx32nerDOTcom

Post by mx32nerDOTcom »

The rods are close in length with the klze, so im trying it, i have to get custom forged pistons made because of the short rod length, so when this all happens, i'll let everyone know how it works out, im not trying to hide secrets, if it all works, EVERYONE in the MX community will know everything about it, I want mx3s to get some recognition, and hopefully between this build (if it works out) and babyblues, we'll get some...i'll be keeping it totally up to date on the engine work on my website...www.mx32ner.com, so keep checking back, and i'll post here quite frequently...

Thanks alot....

And any info will help this cause, when it's done, i'll redistribute the information...

Josh
mx3mikey

Post by mx3mikey »

"Just when I thought I was out....they pull me back......". Eh, you know the story.

Thanks man. I will be watching your build very closely. If it goes well for you, I'm going to be a copy cat.
kiwi_MX3

Post by kiwi_MX3 »

Josh, With the mustang rod's are you having to get the
crank journals ground, or is it just bolt up and play with
bearings?

Ive found getting piston's made not to bad in price but
ROD's terilble and not justafiable at all...

Matt..
Kiwi - Native Bird Of New Zealand, semi-nocturnal, secretive bird
Flightless, though can be found flying firstclass
Poor eyesight, though can spot a good pub at 100yards.
mx32nerDOTcom

Post by mx32nerDOTcom »

Well...im going to get the rods, put them on the crank, plastigauge it, then see how close I am, i've read and been told that the .40 over 302 rod bearings should work, if not, i'll revert to grinding the crank...im hoping against that though....i'll keep everyone posted..

I dropped off the block today for a nice acid bath :lol:
kiwi_MX3

Post by kiwi_MX3 »

You have obivisly measured up the KLZE rod's
Could you post the center distance of the big end to the wrist pin center
and the bigend size without the bearings in it..

At the moment i have a K8 in peaices but not the klze
as then there is to much parts in places....and opps where did
that go......
Kiwi - Native Bird Of New Zealand, semi-nocturnal, secretive bird
Flightless, though can be found flying firstclass
Poor eyesight, though can spot a good pub at 100yards.
babyblueMX3
Supporting Member

Post by babyblueMX3 »

mx32nerDOTcom wrote:Well...im going to get the rods, put them on the crank, plastigauge it, then see how close I am, i've read and been told that the .40 over 302 rod bearings should work, if not, i'll revert to grinding the crank...im hoping against that though....i'll keep everyone posted..

I dropped off the block today for a nice acid bath :lol:
I have 302 rod bearing in my engine. 0.040 didn't fit properly. My crank was within specs and 0.040 undersize was too tight. Had to grind the crank down for the 0.050
RIP 400whp ZE-T MX-3
Current car : Golf 01 GTI 1.8T (15 psi)
Custommx3
Site Administrator

Post by Custommx3 »

Theres a local guy here thqat I know of thats using a KL block with modified honda rods and v8 pistons..

I dont know many details but I know thet guy. He used to own a performance shop till his father passed away and he took over his dads business. He's a mechanical engineer that loves to do crazy stuff.
Once I get some details I'll post it.
georgechicken

Post by georgechicken »

I know the guy that Barry referred to fairly well, and was recently in contact with him... He's making a custom crank, boring .100 over, and using the honda rods and custom pistons as well as a ton of other cool shtuff... He projects it to be right around 2.9 liters when complete... He's built several cars that have been in magazines, and run 8, 9, 10, 11 second times... VERY knowledged guy... He's the one that started my thirst of info about the k-motors...

As to the inital question for this thread...

It's no secret... it's the same-ol' shtuff, different car... you'd toughen the bottom end of our motor the same way you would any other motor... our engines are just as run-of-the-mill as the ages-old pushrod motors you'll find in american cars... that is, in the sense of suck-squish-bang-blow, spark plus air plus fuel equals kaboom!... everything else stems from that... how do you get more suck? add volume, open up breathing ways, time the suck better, etc... more squish? push further, change timing, etc... more bang? optimize your timing, fuel atomization, intake air charge, etc.. more blow? optimize timing, reshape your pistons, optimize your exhaust, etc...(disclaimer; those are not all-inclusive answers to more more more... they're just a few of the millions of KNOWN examples) when you get to the point in the chain reaction that rods start bending, how do you fix it? stronger rods... not enough fuel? healthier fuel system! bending the crank? stronger crank! if it breaks, then strengthen or redesign it! and furthermore, this stuff is more art than science, if you ask me...but there are more physicists building motors than artists, i'm sure, so don't ask me.. :) there are thousands of books worth of mathematics and physics behind the reasoning for why these motors were built the way they are, but if you want to get to the conclusions that the fast guys get to without taking the long way through all that education, then just dumb down a bit and use my cheat sheet :) better yet, make your own... how do you get more air in the motor? I'd tell you to alter valve timing or remove some air restrictions, or something like that, but look at it from your own perspective and you may stumble onto the next great idea... VRIS wasnt on the first mustangs... spit your ideas out there and if it's something great, someone will help you show that it's great... if it's wrong, hopefully, someone will show you why... No secrets in this game though... he's just doing what's been done for years, just on a new platform. Who knows, maybe he'll stumble on a discovery that will improve the holy hell out of the k-motor... :) .............. and yes, searching the archives is a good idea.. :)
good luck!

Daniel
[/quote]
--Maybe the Hippopotamus was just a really cool Apotamus.--

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”