removing dents 101 / finding the right color 102

A forum for Appearance Discussions. (Exterior, Body Kits, & Interior)
mxprecidia

removing dents 101 / finding the right color 102

Post by mxprecidia »

can someone tell me and easy way to get rid of dents and dings? i had the din king but that is crap and the glue never stuck. i have this suction cup but that only works on big dents with a flat surface. whats that stuff called, bondo, or something. how do u apply that on and wht is the precedure of fillings in a dent, sanding it, etc. also how much would a body shop charge to remove one dent tiny ding out. that way i can take that number and multiply it by the number of dents i have. :)

also, i want to paint my car this color i have seen on different cars, its a custom color. i dont have a color code or anything, so how would i get this color paint? go to a paint store and start flipping thru the fan book? thanks
www.illegalCustoms.com
Tri-State Area Car Club
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mitmaks »

most shops charge $40-$50/hr to do bodywork. check out
http://www.hotrodders.com/f19 for lots of bodywork info
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
Dominicanchu_Nmbr1

Post by Dominicanchu_Nmbr1 »

save money. buy a small can of "bondo". any body filler will do. take it, and practice with it. literally follow the directions on the can. not only will you get better with every application, but you'll save some cash too! invest in sandpaper too! different grits. and remember to take your time, and don't rush. work with the bondo in very small amounts, you'll find out why if its your first time using it. But in the end, you'll feel better knowing you only spent about 50 bucks filling in all your dings and dents than 500 at a body shop that did the same work.
-=[Irving A.]=-
Spinkx79
Supporting Member

Suction Cups???

Post by Spinkx79 »

Any idea if those suction cup dent removers work?

I have something like 18 little dents and dings, i had over 20 fixed/filled in 2000 when i got my car repainted.

Seems like people love to hit my car :x

Anyhoo i bought 2 suction cup dent removers from princess auto on sale, i havent tried them yet but will and was wonderin if anyone has tried it.

Thanks
fry_81

Post by fry_81 »

when i first bought my car i got one of those ding kings from canadian tire, it did pull out the majority of the dent but still looks like crap. so to answer your question they "do" work but are probably best for small dents, if its on a removable piece of the body, your better off to remove and and bang it out.
1994 5spd GS Parts Car For Sale 800obo. e-mail for details. fry_81@hotmail.com
tw1st3d_cl0wn
Supporting Member

Post by tw1st3d_cl0wn »

I've never used those suction cup dent remover things, but a co-worker of mine has and she said it worked pretty good, atleast on the bigger dents. I think the thing you gotta watch out for is if the paint is chipped or cracked before you use it, because popping it back out might make it worse as far as the paint goes. That's what I heard anyway. If you try it on your car, I'd be interested in knowing how well it works.
Dominicanchu_Nmbr1

Post by Dominicanchu_Nmbr1 »

only good places to use those things are on hoods and roofs. they leave small dimple-like traces behind on other parts of the body. hmmm.... a plunger works too!
-=[Irving A.]=-

Return to “Appearance”