99+ 1.8L engines...

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
Shades

99+ 1.8L engines...

Post by Shades »

I've been doing a lot of reading on if it is possible to do a swap with a 99 1.8L, lets say from a Miata.

I know for one that they use variable timing components and I'd have to figure out how to control that.
I'm going to assume that the wiring is a little more tricky as well. So lets say I use the ECU from that engine.

What other problems will I encounter? Is what I am asking...

Will the tranny I have bolt right up, no problems?
Can I use the intake manifold that comes with the 1.8L and route the intake coming from the passenger side (as opposed to the drivers side as it is right now)?

What else would I need or have to change?
JoN - Ex-Automotive Machinist Journeyman/Refrigeration Mechanic Apprentice
1996 Mazda MX-3 RS - Creek Blue Mica

RACING BP fully built with Twin Scroll GT3071R TURBO @ +30psi - Specs and Pictures

"Do it ONCE, do it RIGHT!"
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

Well first off.. the Miata is RWD and your MX-3 is of course FWD.. so this little gem of an issue will create all kinds of little problems you will have to research and solve. Cams & distributor location might be an issue, the oil pan will likely be different as well as the oil sump tube, a 99 car will definately be OBDII so you would likely have to swap out all the sensors, assuming that you can locate OBDI sensors that will fit. This is stuff just off the top of my head.. there could be LOTS of other issues.. my advice is to start reading the 4Cyl FAQ forum.. there is a TON of information in there about what 4 cyl engines are compatible with your MX-3. Cheers

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
Shades

Post by Shades »

Yeah I know it's RWD... that's why I was asking if my tranny would bolt up?

With the OBDII I was thinking of bypassing that problem by just taking all the wires and the ECU with the engine?... does that compute?

I've read the 4CYL FAQ's over and over... and all I can find that is helpful is that one that I got them to put in there.

I'm just wondering if anyone is more knowledgable on this subject than I, cause my reading resources are not turning up answers... or if someone could point me in the direction of answers.

RACING BP fully built with Twin Scroll GT3071R TURBO @ +30psi - Specs and Pictures

Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

Did you see this write up that Gro did?

http://www.mx-3.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=16446

He went into pretty decent detail.. granted it doesnt cover engines as new as 99.. but I found it helpful.

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
Shades

Post by Shades »

Yeah I read that one, but like you said it doesn't go into anything over 1997...

Devilhog

Post by Devilhog »

I would just walk into your local mazda dealership and ask one of the mechanics in the back if they think it would be possible, and what kind of problems would ya run into. I have always found mazda dealerships to be top notch and even help ya out if your just asking questions.

Then come back and tell us what ya learned ;)
jaydog5678

Post by jaydog5678 »

It won't work...
Shades

Post by Shades »

Lol... anything is possible. :P

I think the only complications would be a tranny.

jaydog5678

Post by jaydog5678 »

Shades wrote:Lol... anything is possible. :P

I think the only complications would be a tranny.
You will have many more than that. My question is why? A good ol' fwd 1.8 BP will work for less money.
Shades

Post by Shades »

Why?... cause I always want to be different... but I guess you're right... I just like the fact that it goes away from hydraulic lifters to solid ones, and the VVT.

jaydog5678

Post by jaydog5678 »

Shades wrote:Why?... cause I always want to be different... but I guess you're right... I just like the fact that it goes away from hydraulic lifters to solid ones, and the VVT.
I think we all have are own preferences. You can still use the solid lifters in your engine and you would also need the right shims to go with them. VVT is just another high dollar techno gadget that really does little for you. If something breaks, it gets expensive....

I've always liked the simple OBD I stuff. You can slap a turbo on it, electronics are realitivley easy to work with, swaps are easy, and parts are cheaper...
Devilhog

Post by Devilhog »

If I had the money, I would go for a brand new spanking engine and have everything else replaced that would need to go with the new motor.

But I dont :sadwavey:

So its just a stock 1.6 DOHC for me :evil:

Still pretty good though.
Yoda

Post by Yoda »

The bottom end of an engine from a miata will not fit into a FWD chassis unless you also have a FWD BP for donor parts to swap over to the newer Miata block.

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”