The KLZE is installed

A forum for MX-West Car Club Related Topics. MX-West has two Chapters;, the original is in Vancouver, British Columbia, and the second is in Calgary, Alberta.
Dali
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Post by Dali »

its hard to figure out problems with these cars, took 2 weeks to get mine running right after the instal, now we rebuilt ty's turbo colt and the thing wont idle fast enought to stay running, good thing i have a dsm buddy coming over to help.
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

Well since your timing is checking out.. I agree with you on the color of the spark not being up to snuff.. Curious though.. you say your front 3 cylinders are somewhat firing but the back 3 arent.. if you have a buddy to help you.. here is an easy way to verify that.. Use your timing light.. hook it over each plug wire and pull the trigger while a buddy is cranking the engine. If there isnt enough juice going through the wire to trigger the timing light.. there definately wont be enough to light off the spark plug with.

Also.. Sorry to be a pain and hound you about the timing thing.. just that usually when you have fuel and spark but the engine wont run.. 90% of the time its a timing problem. Best of luck.

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
wyldside
Supporting Member
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by wyldside »

Well if the MSD fixes the problem, then I should be good to go. It better not take me two weeks or I'll miss the BC trip. :shock:

I already made a custom interface module for the KLZE disty with MSD and our Wiring Harness. If I have time, I'll start wiring that in tonight before I get the MSD parts.

Tunes67: We did have trouble getting a good signal off of the high-tension leads for the timing light. I'm about 75% sure the MSD system will fix this. Fingers crossed. I'm pretty careful with my work and like to make sure I do things properly. So I'm sure I put the timing belt on correctly. It if wasn't on right, I'm sure I'd here that in the idle and cranking. The plugs would still show some signs of ignition too (which they don't, just wet with fuel). They just have a week looking spark in my opinion so I will take care of that first. I really appreciate everyones help
Last edited by wyldside on June 15th, 2005, 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
James Gosteli
X-Prez of MX-West

1992 Seal-Gray MX-3 GSR-ZE (KLZE 2.5L V6) :mrgreen:
1992 White MX-3 GSR-ZE (KLZE 2.5L V6) :( Worklog (Parting out)
1993 Blaze Red MX-3 GS - RIP :cry:
Taras

Post by Taras »

What ECU/VAF combination you are running?
What disty you are runing?

Also, have you made sure you re-wires knock sensor, second thermosensor?
Make sure fuel lines are not reversed on fuel rail input/output, could be your code 17 and 24 triggers.

Make sure you got a good VAF connector and your filter (if it is cone) not too far on in the VAF, causes rough idle, your code 10 trigger.
Taras
'92 GS Gray ZE
'05 Gixxer 750
MxWest VP
www.mx-west.com
Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

i had a similar problem on my 4 banger. but it ended up being the inlet and the return fuel lines were crossed. dont ask me how, but i wasent paying attention and they were the same length. but it was doing what you descriped as yours is doing now. im not sure on the V6 cause i havent actually looked but it might be possable. i hope you can get it up and running. im not driving all the way out there for nothing :D.
wyldside
Supporting Member

Post by wyldside »

The combination I am using is JE50 VAF, KL31 ECU, Millenia Intake, and Efini MS8 Block. I didn't have to re-wire the knock sensor, just fix the connector. I'm not getting a code from it either. The resistance of the knock sensor is correct. I didn't have to do anything special with the thermosensors, I was fortunate to have 3 sensors on the coolant neck. Fuel lines are not reversed. Fuel Tank -> High Pressure line -> fuel filter -> rear injector rail -> front injector rail -> FPR -> back to fuel tank. My gut feeling tells me that the ignition isn't good enough so I'll try the MSD system I bought.
James Gosteli
X-Prez of MX-West

wyldside
Supporting Member

Post by wyldside »

Well here's an update. I've finished integrating the KLZE Distributor into the MX-3s wiring and tonight I will be finishing up the MSD system. I didn't go with anything special on the MSD system. Just the MSD 6A, Blaster2 Coil, 8910EIS Tach adaptor, and my custom designed ignition interface module. I've got my fingers crossed.
:froggie_red:
James Gosteli
X-Prez of MX-West

Taras

Post by Taras »

wyldside wrote: I've got my fingers crossed.
:froggie_red:
Me too.
Taras
'92 GS Gray ZE
'05 Gixxer 750
MxWest VP
www.mx-west.com
wyldside
Supporting Member

Post by wyldside »

Well the MSD setup is completed and she's running okay now. Pretty noisey still because I haven't gone to an exhaust shop to fix the piping yet. I'll have to do that before the trip to Kelowna. I have between now and Thursday to work out all the bugs.
James Gosteli
X-Prez of MX-West

ratkon

Post by ratkon »

Do you have pontoons fitted your car yet,looks kinda wet in cowtown.
93-Spec-Edn

Post by 93-Spec-Edn »

wyldside wrote:Well the MSD setup is completed and she's running okay now. Pretty noisey still because I haven't gone to an exhaust shop to fix the piping yet. I'll have to do that before the trip to Kelowna. I have between now and Thursday to work out all the bugs.
Have u taken it for a spin yet? How hard does it pull compared to the k8?
92 mx-3 RS RIP | 95 mx-3 GS sold | 93 mx-3 GS SE sold | 95 mx-3 GS present
wyldside
Supporting Member

Post by wyldside »

Today was nice and sunny, so it was good to test drive it. I didn't force it too much since I should let everything break-in a little first. With normal driving it feels like the k8 with a little more spirit. The main difference I find is with the K8 if you give it more gas, it doesn't do much, where the KLZE actually does something and takes off. Gotta watch the speedometer when accellerating. 140 comes pretty quick even when not giving it much gas. The open exhaust is deffening, so I have to fix that tomorrow.
James Gosteli
X-Prez of MX-West

MX-West Car Club

Post by MX-West Car Club »

Good to hear you got the car up and running. :D
Kevin Gee - President
MX-West Car Club
93 White MX-3 1.6RS
www.mx-west.com
Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

yah sounds good. i cant wait to see it. glad to here you got it running.
babyblueMX3
Supporting Member

Post by babyblueMX3 »

nice..now all you have to do is make the diagram for the ze disty, external coil and msd 6a/6al ;) so others can benefit from it..haha..
j/k (well not really)
good to see you got that thing running right. thumbs up
RIP 400whp ZE-T MX-3
Current car : Golf 01 GTI 1.8T (15 psi)

Return to “MX-West Car Club (Vancouver, BC / Calgary, AB)”