EGR and ze

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
raidermaniac

EGR and ze

Post by raidermaniac »

is there any advantages or disadvantages to hooking up the egr on the klze?
mxmaz

Post by mxmaz »

I would think use of egr would be a disadvantage because the klze didnt use egr in Japan so the ze ecu doesnt make use of it so you would have to use your k8 ecu.
XxantwawnxX

Post by XxantwawnxX »

it wont matter at all. Because there is no EGR port on the ze. You can hook it up(theres bolt holes) but there is nohwere for the gas to go.

* * * * * * 92 Mx3 ZET, rear/front swaybars,srd crossmember,HKS SSQV,cold air,ZE with millinia mani and TB and 280cc injectors,INtrax springs with tokiko HP struts, Grounding kit, MotegiTrakLite wheels 17's at 14lbs each, MSnS Running fuel and spark,HEI mod,T3/To4E .60/.63 stage 3 turbine,3rd gen rx7 fuel pump, SSAC Headers/hotpipes ,38 ext tial wastegate, findanza flywheel, SBC TZ clutch/pressureplate,braille11pound battery/ magnum drilled F/R rotors,projectors, CXmotorsports almuminum intercooler.
babyblueMX3
Supporting Member

Post by babyblueMX3 »

mm IIRC there's a block off plate but you can remove it..so you can use the egr..anyways , egr is no good because it recirculate hot exhaust into your intake (hot and dirty= not good)
RIP 400whp ZE-T MX-3
Current car : Golf 01 GTI 1.8T (15 psi)
shawno

Post by shawno »

well what would happen if you take your exhaust header off the K8 and put it on the KL. With the KL 31 ecu would that matter
XxantwawnxX

Post by XxantwawnxX »

babyblueMX3 wrote:mm IIRC there's a block off plate but you can remove it..so you can use the egr..anyways , egr is no good because it recirculate hot exhaust into your intake (hot and dirty= not good)
I dont rmember a block of plate onmy motor...there was nothing there at all.(but i could alwasy be wrong) Oh and the egr gasses are hot but it actually COOLS down the combustion chamber.

* * * * * * 92 Mx3 ZET, rear/front swaybars,srd crossmember,HKS SSQV,cold air,ZE with millinia mani and TB and 280cc injectors,INtrax springs with tokiko HP struts, Grounding kit, MotegiTrakLite wheels 17's at 14lbs each, MSnS Running fuel and spark,HEI mod,T3/To4E .60/.63 stage 3 turbine,3rd gen rx7 fuel pump, SSAC Headers/hotpipes ,38 ext tial wastegate, findanza flywheel, SBC TZ clutch/pressureplate,braille11pound battery/ magnum drilled F/R rotors,projectors, CXmotorsports almuminum intercooler.
babyblueMX3
Supporting Member

Post by babyblueMX3 »

how can exhaust dump into the intake cool down the combustion chamber ? I'm not doubting you just want to know why..where the egr gets the exhaust (about 8" from the heads) it's the hottest place it could be.
RIP 400whp ZE-T MX-3
Current car : Golf 01 GTI 1.8T (15 psi)
hppwdn

Post by hppwdn »

From what I've noticed the KFZE's have a cool little block off plate, but the KLZEs don't have anything there. I personally got rid of all my EGR hardware on the KLZE in the MX3. On my old Probe we left the EGR valve there, but we cut the tube and welded it shut to use as plugs.
92 MX3 Turbo ($100 junkyard KLG4) 11.904 @ 124.3mph, 14psi, DOT approved Hoosier drags, pump gas.
NSCRA 2009 FWD Drag Radial Finalist
HIN/NOPI Supershow Class Winner - Miami 2010 - Street-Sport Compact-Mazda
Links: Pretty Pic, GoFast Pic, Timeslip, Track Video
As of July 2011 the MX3 has been retired and sold.
bmwm3guy

Post by bmwm3guy »

XxantwawnxX wrote:Oh and the egr gasses are hot but it actually COOLS down the combustion chamber.
I also dont see how this would work... in fact the exhaust has a lower o2 content so all I can imagine is the motor burning richer with recirculated exhaust.
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

Actually.. he is correct.. the reason it cools down is because of the lower o2 content.. and yes the engine does run richer as a result. But a richer mixture burns cooler than a lean mixture. The recirculated exaust gasses force the temperature down in the combustion chamber because there is less oxygen to burn. It also reburns that portion of the spent exaust gasses for cleaner emissions. Lots of people remove the EGR system because it does rob a small amount of power. If you dont run with the EGR system.. you should pay much closer attention to your timing and make sure your cooling system is operating as efficiently as possible since the combustion chamber will run at a hotter temp. Here is an example.. DONT TRY THIS its only to make a point. If you have a bucket of gasoline that has been sitting for a few days, and you drop a lit match into it.. believe it or not.. the match is most likely going to extinguish (depends on how much fuel vapor is present above the main liquid portion of the gas) but.. if you fill a spray bottle with gas.. and spray a lit match with it.. it will flame up every time. While gasoline is flammable.. its the vapors that are REALLY flammable and become more flammable as their molecules mix with oxygen molecules. So.. the fewer gas molecules mixed with o2 molecules will result in a leaner hotter flash burn rather than a cool even burn. This is why when you turbo a NA engine.. you usually have to go with bigger fuel injectors or you run way too lean.. running too lean can burn valves or cause detonation (very bad for internals). Hope this helps.

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
XxantwawnxX

Post by XxantwawnxX »

Heh thanx, i was going to explain it more...but you did it for me : )

Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

My ZE's EGR was blocked off
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
XxantwawnxX

Post by XxantwawnxX »

with a plate...or was there just no hole there? cause my ze does not have a plate.

Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

I just don't have the hole
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
shawno

Post by shawno »

Hey guys I switched the exhaust header from my 1.8L to my KLze so it will have a egr to pass emissions.

Is this bad will my engine not run that well it wont be up to power if i do this, or it just wont run all that great.

Should i take it off and put the old header back on and run no egr.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”