scary ride

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
mx3tuner

scary ride

Post by mx3tuner »

Ok...today was my emissions test...and i had failed the first time due to hydrocarbons and NOx...so i decided to try the coleman stove fuel...i put it in before i left and went to the test center. I still failed because of NOx. I figured since i had put in the colemans with a half tank of gas that i would just fill it up tomarrow. Later in the day i decided to change the oil and oil filter...so i did. I also got a new distributor..because mine had crapped out a few months ago and i had just picked up one from a junkyard and figured it wasent that great..because the car idled kinda funny. So i got the new oil, and distributor in and decided to take it for a test drive..it drove great, and the idle problem was gone. On the way home I stopped for ice cream and the car started idling a little funny but i thought nothing of it. When I went to pull out of the ice cream place..i gave it some gas and nothing happened...it started to coast but no acceleration at all...when i got into second gear it seemed fine.. every red light on the way home it didnt want to accelerate at all...i mean i had it all the way to the floor and it was only going 10mph with no acceleration.
I figured that it was the colemans stove fuel so i stopped and filled up the tank. On the way home it only seemed to get worse. It sputters with no acceleration at all until about third gear now. Any ideas why this is happeneing and how i can fix it? I really hope its just that coleman fuel and that it will go back to normal when thats all burned off. Any ideas?
J0HN_R1

Post by J0HN_R1 »

:? Sounds like maybe the stove-fuel broke some deposits loose in the fuel system, and clogged it somewhere (probably the filter, maybe the injectors)...

:?:

:arrow: Fill it up & let it idle for an hour or two, see if it helps... Yes, an hour or two...!
When this thing hits 88mph, you're gonna see some serious TIHS...!
XxantwawnxX

Post by XxantwawnxX »

thats what my car felt like when my cat finally melted down : P

* * * * * * 92 Mx3 ZET, rear/front swaybars,srd crossmember,HKS SSQV,cold air,ZE with millinia mani and TB and 280cc injectors,INtrax springs with tokiko HP struts, Grounding kit, MotegiTrakLite wheels 17's at 14lbs each, MSnS Running fuel and spark,HEI mod,T3/To4E .60/.63 stage 3 turbine,3rd gen rx7 fuel pump, SSAC Headers/hotpipes ,38 ext tial wastegate, findanza flywheel, SBC TZ clutch/pressureplate,braille11pound battery/ magnum drilled F/R rotors,projectors, CXmotorsports almuminum intercooler.
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

I believe the instructions stated that you put 4 lt of the colmans stove fuel to 1/3 tank of high test gas, take a good 20 minute highway drive with that stuff in there and go straigh to the e-test facility. Directly after the e-test, fill the rest of the tank up. If you didn't do something VERY close to this than that may have been why you failed a second time.

Melted kitty.... :shock:

I think JOHN_R1's got the solution. Since it looks like you're doing a bit of a tune up, might as well put a new fuel filter on.
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas
J0HN_R1

Post by J0HN_R1 »

jschrauwen wrote:Melted kitty.... :shock:

I think JOHN_R1's got the solution. Since it looks like you're doing a bit of a tune up, might as well put a new fuel filter on.

:wink: Yeah... Pretty sure thats the problem... Could be wrong, I was once before... ONCE...

LOL

* try turning the key to START, leave it for a couple seconds, then OFF... Repeat multiple times... This will prime your fuel-pump & system, creating pressure in the lines. It might jar some of the dirt lose...
When this thing hits 88mph, you're gonna see some serious TIHS...!
mx3tuner

Post by mx3tuner »

I got it fixed...i drained out the gas in the tank and got some new stuff..and it still did it so i figured that i would have to change the filter like you guys suggested...I was going to go get a new filter when i figured just to see..that i would put my old disty on since it still works just it idles funny and has some hesitation...sure enough i put it back on and it runs fine...it was all just because autozones "remanufactured" distributor somehow broke. So i called them up and asked if they had anymore since this one is defective...they said they didnt have any in stock and would have to order it..so i told them to order me one...and the autozone guy tells me i have to come in to order a part...he said that i have to be ther in person to order anything and that they arnt allowed to take orders over the phone...needless to say that was agrivating..but i'll go in sometime this week and order a new one...thanks for all the help guys.
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

Autozone reman distributors have a hugely negative reputation.. you would be better off demanding your money back and getting one elsewhere.. just my 2 cents.

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”