Subs in the Trunk

Car Stereo/Alarm Discussions
ScooterBovine
Supporting Member

Subs in the Trunk

Post by ScooterBovine »

So... When you guys all fill up your trunk with subs and amps and batteries and what not, what happens when you get a flat tire? Fix-a-flat doesn't fix everything. And what if you need to suddenly stash stuff in your car?

I just don't understand filling up every space in my vehicle with equipment...
No more MX-3.
Custommx3
Site Administrator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Custommx3 »

When I designed my system.. I made my wheel well accessable.

On my RS, I can tilt my box forward and still access my spare tire.
On my GS, Im designing a box with hindges that raises up so I can access my spare tire much easier.
reaper of souls

Post by reaper of souls »

i'm doing it the fun way fiberglass inclousers less space in the hatch
Image 96 X-90 4x4, 16v custom ram air intake lockers front and rear with 5.83 ring and pinion.
relisys_3200

Post by relisys_3200 »

I just took my spare tire out and got CAA :shrug:
lol
Brandon
1992 MX-3 GS-ZE
ScooterBovine
Supporting Member

Post by ScooterBovine »

CAA? Also, wouldn't fiberglass crack from your subs booming? I want a custom enclosure on both sides of my trunk, but I do not have the skills to design and build such things.
No more MX-3.
relisys_3200

Post by relisys_3200 »

ScooterBovine wrote:CAA? Also, wouldn't fiberglass crack from your subs booming? I want a custom enclosure on both sides of my trunk, but I do not have the skills to design and build such things.
lol, sorry...CAA is a service you pay per year for and it intails free towing/tire repair/etc..

Next month I'll be making a custom enclosure the uses both sides of the trunk, so I'll be sure to post some pics.
Brandon
1992 MX-3 GS-ZE
ScooterBovine
Supporting Member

Post by ScooterBovine »

Please do. I value my trunk space since I carry a lot of military gear in my car. I'd like to see something that fits a 10" sub into the little space between the rear of the trunk and the strut enclosure.
No more MX-3.
Mazderati

Post by Mazderati »

I designed a sealed enclosure for my dual v-c JL 12". I takes up the space perfectly between the strut towers and up to the back of the rear seat. Then over top I put nicely covered wooden "panels" that attach to the box and make it look like it is all built into one with the surrounding car interior. The sub faces rear and I still have about half of my trunk space. Big soundstream mounted topside and exposed on the box top and the sub amp on the back of the box against the back seat. (with a bit of space of course. Computer sesign on the box ensured the right airspace for the type of sound I was after. And bada- BOOM! :D :D :D :D
96 GS, 17" Niche's, Falken 40's. Eibach springs, Tokico S/R struts, Ractive front & rear strutbars. Supertrapp exhaust, K & N intake. Soundstream Reference, JL & Eclipse audio.

Green means "Go", Yellow means, "Go Faster"!!
reaper of souls

Post by reaper of souls »

trust me fiberglass done right is way better then mdf 1/4 thickness of fiberglass is equal to 3/4 mdf most of the time the fiberglass is used as a starting mould for the basic shape then you just build up off it with bondo to get the shape you want it's not hard to learn or do but the more pratice you get the better
Image 96 X-90 4x4, 16v custom ram air intake lockers front and rear with 5.83 ring and pinion.
ScooterBovine
Supporting Member

Post by ScooterBovine »

Hey Mazderati, is there anyway you can get some pictures of your setup? I'd like a little inspiration for my own project.
No more MX-3.
Mazderati

Post by Mazderati »

Scooter. 10-4. My camera is in Calgary right now, I'm on the road til this weekend. I'll post the pics Sat or Sun. You dont need a huge amount of airspace with a JL to make it play deep. This box design works well and still leaves storage space in the back. Hope it works for you.
96 GS, 17" Niche's, Falken 40's. Eibach springs, Tokico S/R struts, Ractive front & rear strutbars. Supertrapp exhaust, K & N intake. Soundstream Reference, JL & Eclipse audio.

Green means "Go", Yellow means, "Go Faster"!!
93SOHC

Post by 93SOHC »

My sub is in the spare tire well. Sure I can't carry a spare, but I got almost full use of my trunk. I have AAA, so if I get a flat they can deal with it, thats what I pay them for, LOL
93SE-KLDE Theres a big peice of metal inside my other peice of metal now...weird???
ScooterBovine
Supporting Member

Post by ScooterBovine »

I have 2 10" Kicker Comps, I think they do better with smaller enclosures anyways...

Yeah, AAA is nice, but a lot of times, I don't have the time to wait for them. If I'm driving somewhere, it's normally because I have something important (to me at least) to do at my destination, and downtime would cripple my mission, heh.
No more MX-3.
Typhoonk

Post by Typhoonk »

I got a single ten sub. I fibreglassed it into the drivers side of the trunk. Doesn't over lap the wheel well one bit. I can take my spare out, just as easily as before. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
-------------------------------------------------------
Got to sell one of my cars to cover the bills
2002 Mazda Protege 5 - Manual, Blue colour fully loaded
PM for info
MX-SLICK

Post by MX-SLICK »

A single 10 in a sealed box would be easier to move then military gear to get at a spare tire. Were talking like 20 pounds here. If you need the space just unplug it and your on your way. Better yet just make a baffle board to replace the flimsy cargo cover and have it lift up with your hatch much the way the cargo cover does.
94' MX3 GS atx
93 geo storm GSi
99' Ford ZX2 mtx
2001 honda CBR 600
2000 kawasaki kx 500 MX

Return to “Car Stereo/Alarm”