Glove compartment woes..

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
FiReSTaRT
Supporting Member

Glove compartment woes..

Post by FiReSTaRT »

I just got my hands on a '95 RS. The experience with the dealer was fairly unpleasant, and it will get even more so, but lets start with one problem at a time...
It's supposed to come with a CD deck, and it does, but the faceplate is nowhere to be found. The only place I haven't taken a look at is the glove compartment. I can't open it. It looks like the button that trips the latch is missing, so it can't be opened by hand. So I have 2 questions:
1) Can I open it without dismantling it, and how?
2) If not, how do i dismantle it, without causing any damage?

P.S. If I'm posting in the wrong forum, I apologize.
P.P.S. Thanks for your input, in advance.
P.P.P.S. Even if it wasn't for the CD deck, I'd still wanna hit a junkyard and get a replacement, so I will have to dismantle it eventually.
Carthago Delenda Est
Grants
BANNED Member

Post by Grants »

You've got a different dash to mine so sorry I can't give you some first hand ideas.. But I think you'll have to get that latch to operate somehow cause if its anything like the '93 gloveboxes there wouldn't be another way in without doing damage.

Theres an online manual on the main page of MX-3.com - on the left hand side. That may help you. Otherwise maybe a drill and another trip to the junkyard....

Good luck with it and welcome to the board.
“You’ll find, that the only thing you can do easily is be wrong, and that’s hardly worth the effort.”
FiReSTaRT
Supporting Member

Post by FiReSTaRT »

I hope i'll figure out a way. Actually I can get a screwdriver or a hooked wire in there, but I don't wanna start poking in there before I know the way the latch should be tripped to open it. Even a hand-drawn diagram would be a lot of help.

Actually I don't expect to find the faceplate in there, but since the dealer has been insulting my intelligence ever since I put a downpayment on the car, I wanna say that I've looked everywhere before asking him whether he prefers putting in a WORKING cd deck or getting reported to the UCDA, BBB and papers/websites he advertised in/on. Ironically, I have a spare mp3 deck, but the guy needs to be taught a lesson about honesty and customer service.
Carthago Delenda Est
Grants
BANNED Member

Post by Grants »

before I know the way the latch should be tripped to open it.
Somebody must know???
“You’ll find, that the only thing you can do easily is be wrong, and that’s hardly worth the effort.”
OptiX

Post by OptiX »

why not just cut around the lock, its 2 layers of hollow plastic

just cut the glove compartment open
and then get a new one from scrap.
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

If the handle is missing you should be able to see the trip mechanism and make it work by prying or pulling it. The problem is that I doubt you'll find many on here who have ever broken their glove box handle to know how to open it without causing damage. I know that you can't take the cover off without opening it as the bolts and screws are all on the inside. (Thank you Mazda for making it difficult for thieves) Make sure that the lock is opened when you try to trip the mechanism, it won't budge if it is lcoked.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

Is the lock still in place? If it is and you just dont have the key.. take it to your mazda dealer and they can cut you a new key for it.. if the lock is buggered.. drill it out.. you mentioned that you are planning to replace it anyway right?

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
FiReSTaRT
Supporting Member

Post by FiReSTaRT »

Ok the lock itself is there and my ignition key actually turns it. I guess I'll try tripping the mechanism again later on today.

Btw. do I need a separate key for the glove compartment? If so, then I really hope the junkyard buy will come with one lol.
Carthago Delenda Est
Kuromu

Post by Kuromu »

I did not get a seperate key for the glovebox when I bought mine and the main key has always turned it so I just figured that is the way it was suppose to be.
93 MX3 RS BP 2.0 // 87 RX7 HKS Turbo
FiReSTaRT
Supporting Member

Post by FiReSTaRT »

Ok, this is really grating on my nerves and I don't wanna cause any damage if i don't have to. Therefore I'll have to ask you guys/gals for a favor. If you have a digital camera, could you snap a couple of pics to show me:
1) how the latch is pushed
2) what the latch itself looks like
3) what it latches onto?
If you can't post on this forum, I PM me for my e-mail addy. Thanks in advance.
Carthago Delenda Est
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

I can do this for you when I get home from work this evening.. but that wont be for another 4-5 hours yet.. :?

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)

FiReSTaRT
Supporting Member

Post by FiReSTaRT »

No rush. I would LIKE to have it by Saturday, but I won't wither and die if I don't ;) Basically I wanna have the shop get the certification work done before I go to the dealership and start b*tching about a missing faceplate, since they are the ones picking up the tab (they sold it to me certified). Once the safety work is done, they have nothing to blackmail me with, and I can concentrate on the little things, like sound.

edit: I'm forgetting my P's and Q's. Thanks bro :)
Carthago Delenda Est
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

I could do it now.. except my digital camera is at home LOL I get to play on here at work during the day.. ;) Looks like I will only need to stay another hour or 2 at the most :D

Tunes67

FiReSTaRT
Supporting Member

Post by FiReSTaRT »

As I said take your time and cherish your job. Speaking of which, are your people hiring? ;)
Carthago Delenda Est
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

*Chuckles* They just filled one position at our Mount Vernon location.. Give it a year or two.. once the owner retires or dies (cruel sounding I know but its the truth) His daughter will have this company nationwide in probably less than 10 years. ;) And I will be on easy street in less than 5 hopefully LOL ;)

Tunes67

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”