New '95 MX-3 owner - Shifting Question

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
Insanebabe123

New '95 MX-3 owner - Shifting Question

Post by Insanebabe123 »

MY 95 MX-3 is still in build stage and I don't have a license yet. My Dad is helping me build my ride. We just got my WingWest spoiler in and ordered the GTec Scorpion hood. I have bought some interior parts here and look forward to making friends and sharing ideas and help. I know that we have a new clutch with less than 1ooo miles on it, but the seller told us that the hydrolycs{SP} need to be replaced. Would this cause the hanging that occurs between 2nd and 3rd or 3rd to 2nd? It is like it gets stuck and hard to pull through the H. When the car is off it is a smooth throw.

Thanks for the help,

Lee {Insanebabe123} :twisted:
ryanlindenberg

Post by ryanlindenberg »

yes it could if the clutch was not being disengaged all the way...it seems like it would do it through all shifts though, not just 2-3 and 3-2. is there any grinding?
CARDOMAIN WITH UPDATED PICS
"There are 2 kinds of pedestrians, the quick and the dead."
Insanebabe123

Re. Shift Question

Post by Insanebabe123 »

It does not grind, the pedal has the right play. Also Dad let me drive a little last night again. It is tough into all gears just more noticable through the H; even for my Dad who has driven manuals all his life, so it is not a new driver situation. How hard is it to replace the Hydro pump and resivor? Dad and I are trying to do all the work or most of it as a father/daughter project.

Thanks,

cdngrl420

Post by cdngrl420 »

i think your having the same problem as i am what i was told by the mechanic is that its jus usual wear and tear and not to worry about it unless you have grinding or some other kind of noise coming from under the hood.
jkpgt96

Post by jkpgt96 »

could it be the slave cylinder going out?? not having the juice to disengage all the way?
Laser Red '96 GT-12:1-IBeams-10k RPM-EXT. OIL PUMP-COLT ONE-OFF CAMS-CUSTOM LONGTUBES-SHEETMETAL IM-BUILT HEADS-125 SHOT-PAR 3/4 GEARSETS-MFACTORY LSD-ETC..SHOULD BE A FUN RIDE..:thup:
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/542054
ryanlindenberg

Post by ryanlindenberg »

is it hard to move the actual shift rod? or does it feel more like the tranny just doesn't want to pop into the gears? if the shift rod is just hard to move the bolt at the bottom of it probably was over tightened.
CARDOMAIN WITH UPDATED PICS
"There are 2 kinds of pedestrians, the quick and the dead."
Insanebabe123

Post by Insanebabe123 »

Hello everyone - I thought this topic was dead :!: Thanks for the added notes. Now after the last post, I think the last owner did say it was the slave cylinder. How hard is that to replace :?: I got my permit now so I am digging in to get this beast road worthy. I will also check to see if the shift rod was over-tightened, but it does feel like the trans is not being fully disengaged.

Thanks everyone :D

'95 MX-3 RS Black on Black on Black
First car and First project
Hoping to have it complete by the time I get my License
neutral
Supporting Member

Post by neutral »

See '95 Online Manual, Page H-14 @mx-3.com homepage - Online Manual link on left side. Not a difficult repair to replace the slave cyl. Might want to bleed the clutch line first to make sure that's not causing poor disengagement.
Image -Jim

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”