Don't need help anymore the problem is solved!

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
kat

Post by kat »

jschrauwen wrote:I personally would not circumvent the natural triggering system to initiate the rad fan from comming on. Find out the source of that problem and get it sorted. I would turn to the 2 (black and green) thermosensors located by the coolant filler neck and verify their serviceability.

I would also verify the integrity of the rad and confirm that their are no blockages in there since those are the smallest galleries for coolant to travel through.

Not sure how you accomplish a system flush. My method is to go to crappy tire (since you live in CA) and get a coolant line interconnect for flushing purposes. This is a clay coloured plastic "T" that is placed in the middle of the coolant return line from the interior heater core and just before the thermostat housing. I have done a previous post as to this procedure. Remove thermostat from housing and reconnect the thermostat housing. Open drain plug on the bottom of rad. Plug coolant lint to coolant reservoir (white plastic container). Attach garden hose to plastic "T" and turn on tap. Ensuring all caps are on, water should flush all coolant and anything else out through the rad drain plug. The higher the pressure the garden hose the better. Usually home water pressure is no more than 60 -70 psi, so it's completely safe. Once the water exiting the rad is turned to clear you obviously have removed all coolant. The pressure at which the water is exiting the rad in relation to the water pressure from the garden hose should give you some sort of an indication as to whether there may be a blockage or restriction. Normal procedures to refill and pressurize.

I don't recall you saying that any leaks were noticed at or by the water pump. Leaks are the first indicators that the water pump is not long for this world and I can't see replacing the water pump on spec.

Addressing the items I specified should be more than enough to zero in on the deffective parts/condition. Hope this helps.

I'm not leaving the fan hooked up direct forever, just until i find out what the problem is and if it is JUST the fan.

As i've said i've flushed the system a NUMBER of time already, i followed what was in my mx-3 mannual that i bought *shrug*
What i've been ASKING for is a diagram showing all the sensors and wiring for the ZE dealing with the fan...i have yet to get one and i really really need one.
I've checked the two sensors that i figured were for the fan and gauge and they seem to beo working fine. I'm not quite sure how to check them otherwise without buying new ones. :?

There doesn't seem to be any leaks anywheres but i'm not 100% sure.
I'm going to take the car in a few minutes and test it out to see if with the fan running it still over heats, if not than i found out what's wrong and i just need to check the wires and somehow test the sensors.

And if i were to replace the water pump now it would be because i have the money and since i don't know if or when this one will break. I'd rather do it now while i have the time and money than later when i don't and have to leave my car off the road for even longer.
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

kat wrote:I'm not leaving the fan hooked up direct forever, just until i find out what the problem is and if it is JUST the fan.
Put the fan back to the normal configuration.....how do you know that you're not introducing more problems to the system by bypassing the fan wiring?

As i've said i've flushed the system a NUMBER of time already, i followed what was in my mx-3 mannual that i bought *shrug*
What manual is this? Mazda shop manual? If not, have you cross referenced that procedure with what's layed out in the on-line manual? Does the flush procedure you used follow the same steps I just layed out for you? If not than I believe you may be coming up short.

What i've been ASKING for is a diagram showing all the sensors and wiring for the ZE dealing with the fan...i have yet to get one and i really really need one.
There is no magic wiring for the ZE...since either yourself or the installer of the ZE must have used the original K8 wiring...correct?? Unless for some incredible reason the complete wiring harness was swapped out from a J-Spec MX...but that's pretty unlikely. Use the wiring schematic from the MX...again, it's in the on-line manual. The sensors, or at least the ones of major concern are the thermosensors that I've already explained about which are integrated into the coolant filler unit (complete aluminum cast unit that contains the filler neck, and 2 thermosensors) which is a K8 item that should have been transplanted from the K8 onto your ZE. If this is or was not done than that may be at the heart of the matter. Your ZE NEEDS the old K8 filler neck, thermosensor assembly. How did you test these sensors? Again the test procedure is in the on-line manual. The other stand alone temp sensor (single black wire) that should be located beside these thermosensors is, I believe a ZE item but should be identical to the K8...not 100% on that particular one.

I've checked the two sensors that i figured were for the fan and gauge and they seem to beo working fine.
How did you do that? You must be using something other than a Mazda manual. Or else you would be able to readily identify the correct sensors.

I'm not quite sure how to check them otherwise without buying new ones. :?
Again...on-line shop manual. I remove my 2 thermosensors and cleaned the corrosion and copper elements so as to function properly. I broke one in the process because of the constant hot/cold made the (green) plastic one brittle. Test as per manual and replace if out of spec/tolerance. Mazda charges $50.00cdn for one of those little thermosensors.

There doesn't seem to be any leaks anywheres but i'm not 100% sure.
I'm going to take the car in a few minutes and test it out to see if with the fan running it still over heats, if not than i found out what's wrong and i just need to check the wires and somehow test the sensors.
I'm not sure what you mean, but to me it sounds like that if nothing goes wrong on your test ride than you're assuming you fixed the problem. Maybe so and it would be nice, but I look at it as still guesswork and that there are possible/potential issues unresolved which will later surface. Hopefyully not in an inopportune time. I myself would need to have my own personal reassurance that I can get in and drive anywhere, unfettered, without the possiblity that I may brake down at any minute.

And if i were to replace the water pump now it would be because i have the money and since i don't know if or when this one will break. I'd rather do it now while i have the time and money than later when i don't and have to leave my car off the road for even longer.
Why replace the water pump if it isn't broken???? I'd use the money to replace all of the thermosensors if you can't verify their accuracy/serviceability and perhaps get my own copy of a Mazda shop manual. Depending on the other ZE stuff - IM, TB etc...that technical Data can be had by your local Mazda in the way of photo copies from their shop manuals. I've had to source things like TPS, TB, vaccum layout etc via photo copies from the Mazda shop manuals for a Millennia from my local Mazda. It just fills the gaps that the K8 manual can't cover because of having the ZE.
One last thing...confirm you have 2 thermosensors - one green and one black located beside each other and right beside the coolant filler neck?
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas
kat

Post by kat »

I have my own copy of the mazda shop manual.

And don't worry your pretty little bum i got the problem sloved, i know what happened and it's fixed.

My car is now fine.

Yes i have two thermosensors, i plan on replacing both as well as i do plan on replacing the water pump but i'm waiting on that until the winter, reason being is i don't know how old it is as i've stated before and i have the money now, i may not later on down the road when it does happen (which i know it will soon).
And it wasn't the thermosensors that was the problem BUT one of the wires for it was starting to break so we replaced it.
And unless you can help me don't bother repeating things i've already done and stated i've done..

I may be a girl but i do know a few things about cars, i just wanted to know where to follow the wires for the fan, that is all because i didn't not have my manual here, but i got it back today and it's all good, found the problem.

And for the record the person who installed the engine now won't help me or tell me anything about the wiring and such, plus they did a half a-- job of it so now i'm going back trying to correct everything.
Grants
BANNED Member

Post by Grants »

Did this thread change names??? :?
“You’ll find, that the only thing you can do easily is be wrong, and that’s hardly worth the effort.”
kat

Post by kat »

Grants wrote:Did this thread change names??? :?
Yes i changed it from HELP! to what it is now cause i don't need help anymore :P
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

My appologies for offending. :oops: I'm glad you got the thermosensor wiring problem sorted. :D I'll know better in the future...
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas
kat

Post by kat »

jschrauwen wrote:My appologies for offending. :oops: I'm glad you got the thermosensor wiring problem sorted. :D I'll know better in the future...
I just don't like people treating me like i don't know anything or i'm doing everything wrong because i'm a girl.

I may be a girl but i grew up working on cars, this is my first mazda tho, i'm learning but i'm not dumb!
Grants
BANNED Member

Post by Grants »

And it wasn't the thermosensors that was the problem BUT one of the wires for it was starting to break so we replaced it.
But didn't it keep doing it with the fan hard wired?
“You’ll find, that the only thing you can do easily is be wrong, and that’s hardly worth the effort.”
wyldside
Supporting Member
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by wyldside »

I'm glad you got it fixed. Yeah the fact that the problem still existed with the fan hard-wired is what made me suspect the water pump. Oh well, it's fixed. Nice Work!
James Gosteli
X-Prez of MX-West

1992 Seal-Gray MX-3 GSR-ZE (KLZE 2.5L V6) :mrgreen:
1992 White MX-3 GSR-ZE (KLZE 2.5L V6) :( Worklog (Parting out)
1993 Blaze Red MX-3 GS - RIP :cry:

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”