Scotch Brite + Brasso > Scratch Remover / Plastic Polish

This forum is for discussion of topics relating to MX-3 lighting such as Headlights, Tail lights, Accessory Lights, Interior Lights, Etc. For example, Rear Euro Altezza Style Tail lights, Headlight units, LED's, HID's, Bulbs, Interior lights, Neons, Strobes, Auxillary Lights/Fogs or anything filament and gas discharge related.
Also anything dealing with the elctrical system.
Neil

Scotch Brite + Brasso > Scratch Remover / Plastic Polish

Post by Neil »

Ok I know there is a lot of talk on here and people like to know what’s best for cleaning your headlights, I used PlasticX Scratch Remover at first, and sure it made the headlights look nice but 3 hours later they were foggy again. SO I grabbed a Scotch Brite pad with some Brasso polish and went at my lenses and this was the result. No dermal required just a lot of time. This worked awesome for me and way better than any of those waxes’s/plastic scratch removers have worked on this particular set of lenses. (note I did have the lenses removed prior to doing this and I did use Brasso on both sides of the lense, which will require you baking your lights and taking the lenses off)

Just thought id share my experience even though I know it’s been talked about before.
Ever notice anyone driving slower than you is an idiot and anyone driving faster than you is a maniac?
01-03 Civic Projector Swap Tutorial
PoisonDrop

Just read this and...

Post by PoisonDrop »

...went out to the MX and tried it. Didn't have Brasso, but I used silver polish and it worked just as well. The lenses cleared up with little effort. I have to add that I did NOT take the lenses off of the housing. Just polished the outside of the lens...and 99% of the crappy yellow tint came off...I guess we'll see how long this lasts...
Custommx3
Site Administrator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Custommx3 »

anything thats a polish of any sort and is abrasive, will work.

Even wax will help.
Gro Harlem

Post by Gro Harlem »

did you only polish the outsides & not the insideS?

let us know how it holds up after a few months. Mine seemed to go back to cloudiness after I polished mine :(
Noble Green Metallic 93' GS Hybrid, 91' 1.8 323
DONATE TO MX-3.COM
ratkon

Re: Just read this and...

Post by ratkon »

PoisonDrop wrote:...went out to the MX and tried it. Didn't have Brasso, but I used silver polish and it worked just as well. The lenses cleared up with little effort. I have to add that I did NOT take the lenses off of the housing. Just polished the outside of the lens...and 99% of the crappy yellow tint came off...I guess we'll see how long this lasts...
I used Silvo metal polish on the outsides of mine about a month ago,they are still nice and clean.
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

What seems to have worked well for me is an acrylic polish followed by a protective wax or coat to help the plastic resist fogging from dust & other road debris. One of these days I will get around to taking pics of mine comparative to the photo from the original advertisement I bought the car from so you all can see the difference.. Novus #2 acrylic polish worked exceedingly well and its cheap at only $6 a bottle.. google it or do a search in this forum.. I posted a link on the stuff once before.

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
PoisonDrop

Post by PoisonDrop »

Just did this a few days ago but...they are still clear...minus the greasy fingerprints I put all over them when I was working under the hood...guess I'll have to polish them a little bit more...

oh and yeah...I did just polish the outsides. Don't know how it will hold yet, but I assume that I will have to re-polish them every once in awhile...
tw1st3d_cl0wn
Supporting Member

Post by tw1st3d_cl0wn »

I used Blue Magic Metal Polish about 5 months ago, on the outsides only. It took two applications and they were very clear. But it's 5 months later now, and they are starting to fog up again. Don't know how long all of yours stay clear, but I can settle for the 5 months. :D
1992mx3

Post by 1992mx3 »

I just got through using "T.R.3" on my headlights, just the outside and man it realy made a difference. Clean clear and very shiny...
1992 MX-3 GS in work.
2006 speed6, Wife say's i can't work on it.
2004 GSX-R 1000 Mat Mladin Replica
2006 toyota tacoma
1995 MX-6 in pieces almost ready for the junk yard, To much body damage.
neutral
Supporting Member

Post by neutral »

tw1st3d_cl0wn wrote:I used Blue Magic Metal Polish about 5 months ago, on the outsides only. It took two applications and they were very clear. But it's 5 months later now, and they are starting to fog up again. Don't know how long all of yours stay clear, but I can settle for the 5 months. :D
After first getting rid of the years of yellowing from the previous owner, I lightly polish em once or twice a year now. The clarity seems to last longest against sunlight UV damage by finishing up with two coats of "Future clear acrylic floor finish." Follow manufacturer directions and allow drying between coats. Inexpensive and available just about everywhere.
Image -Jim

Return to “Electrical & Lighting”