Rattles from my speakers!

Car Stereo/Alarm Discussions
Gfresh

Rattles from my speakers!

Post by Gfresh »

When I started to listen to the stereo in my MX-3 for the first time today, I was a bit dissapointed. I had listened to it before briefly when test driving it, mind you just the radio, and I played with the different equalizer and volume settings. But now since I own my car I decided to throw one of my cd's in and check it out. Some of the songs sounded great, but almost every rap/hip-hop song with any bass line at all sounds like crap because of all the rattling. I have a Pioneer Premiere DEH-340 head unit, stock front speakers, and 6.5" Boston Acoustics NX 67s in the back, in the stock locations. The problem is is when any deep bass songs play at all the speaker covers (the whole part with the stock grill infront of the side flap things in the hatch) Rattle like hell, and my music sounds horrible. Also the door speakers seem to rattle the doors a little bit too. Any suggestions on how to fix/ prevent this?
Green Machine --1994 MX-3 GS 5-spd-- HEI Ignition Modded
reaper of souls

Post by reaper of souls »

eaisest(and proper) way is to sound deadin your door panels and the inner fender area in the hatch were you rears are . as for the front speaker grills go and pick up some 3m fome tape and just run a bit around the back side of the grill not too much then they wont go back on but that should stop them from rattling
Image 96 X-90 4x4, 16v custom ram air intake lockers front and rear with 5.83 ring and pinion.
Typhoonk

Post by Typhoonk »

1. find out what exactly is rattling
2. Eliminate it, by securing it tight, or adding a sound deadening material to stop the noise
-------------------------------------------------------
Got to sell one of my cars to cover the bills
2002 Mazda Protege 5 - Manual, Blue colour fully loaded
PM for info
neutral
Supporting Member

Post by neutral »

Typhoonk wrote:1. find out what exactly is rattling
2. Eliminate it, by securing it tight, or adding a sound deadening material to stop the noise
Agreed. Find out the exact vibration source just by pressing your hand around the area til the vibration lessens and eliminate the prob from there. Any & every part of your interior trim is removable if needed.
Image -Jim
Gfresh

Post by Gfresh »

Ok I have located the sources of the rattles.

Rattle #1 is in the drivers side door, it doesn't seem to be the speaker grill, but the plastic top part of the door, above the fabric part. (the part of the door you would rest your arm on when the window is down)

Not sure how to tighten the door to stop rattling, perhaps some of that double sided adheasive tape would do the trick, but I don't want it to interfere with the power window mechanism.

Rattles #2 and 3 are from the stock speaker covers on the left and right sides of the hatch. The covers rattle everytime the bass hits hard, and its annoying as hell, so I'm thinking some 3M foam/adhesive tape to hold my cover on tight to avoid rattling.

Let me know what you think, or if you have any better/ more efficient ideas Id love to hear them.

Thanks a million

Gfresh
Green Machine --1994 MX-3 GS 5-spd-- HEI Ignition Modded

Return to “Car Stereo/Alarm”