Money to Burn? Buy an MX3!

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions

Is Mazda most expensive car you've ever maintained?

Yes
38%
No
46%
The money's no object, my car is my lover
16%

Total votes: 37

snellgrove

Post by snellgrove »

In response to the Poll, yes my MX-3 is the most expensive car I've had to keep in shape, but its my 2nd car... and you know what 1st cars are like.. never sporty or expensive, so I aint gonna vote on it..

yes my MX-3 is a bit costly, I've spent a fair bit on it.. but thats not fixing problems, thats all preventative maintenance, - I had a full 72k service done (at 73k.. only just bought it, no paperwork to suggest previous owner had done it, although the oil looked ok) and I had its cambelt done - previous owner said it had been done, but I checked with the garage he had it done at and their records said it had NOT been done.. the previous owner was being nice and truthful then :x

but nothings gone wrong with it, it works and drives absolutely fine and the ol' HLA's dont even click and rattle when you start it up from cold (apart from occasionally they do for like 5 seconds :D but thats normal! )
1997, Silver, V6
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

My Mx-3 is my first car, so technically is it the most expensive car I've had to maintain :D

However "The money's no object, my car is my lover"

My car has been extremely reliable, the only thing I technically would have needed to change over the years would have only been, besides the wear and tear like brakes/rotors, tires and belts, would have been: both axles, 2 wheel bearings, 1 caliper, 1 e-brake cable, fuel inlet pipe, a driver side front spring, a new gas tank and new brake and fuel lines, not to bad for a 13yr old car that has experience Canadian winters. My car has never left me stranded
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
Robotaz

Post by Robotaz »

As of today, now i can proudly add to the list $540 for driver's front wheel bearing, both tie rod ends, and both ball joints. Sorry, but this car's a rip. I'm gonna sell it, but couldn't bring myself to sell it to anyone in the condition that I bought it. I'll just find one for $1500 and drive it into the ground. When it breaks, throw it away and buy another one, drive it until its time to throw it away. I learned a lot with this car. First of all, new cars make a lot more sense to me now. If you're gonna throw money away, it's nice to have a brand new car that someone else has to fix. Also, you don't support a bunch of hustlers, aka mechanics, that exist to rip people off and feed on the misfortunes of others.
Domnknpimp

Post by Domnknpimp »

Wow I would love to know where you are shopping for your parts.... If you are buying everything at the dealer, then trust me, thats not expensive. If you are buying then at an auto store, then you might want to switch stores. I work at Advance Auto Parts, and I haven't seen anything for my MX-3 any more expensive than that of any car. In fact, The prices are pretty much the same for most cars, a few bucks off. The only problem w/ the Mazda's are that they are never in stock, because they never sell, which means they break a lot less than other cars? Beleive it or not, I barely see people in my store looking for parts for a Mazda, unless its a 626 - worst Mazda ever made... makes our cars look bad .

Robotaz wrote:Hmmm, i think i will check on BMWs and Mercedes. While I'm doing that I'll check into Ferraris, Porsches, Maseratis, and Lamborghinis. Of course none of those are only worth $2000 dollars though so I guess the comparison's pointless. By the way, "that list of parts" i didn't have to look up. That's a small percentage of all of the ridiculous things I have had to buy for my $1800 MX3. Also in that list would be: a $200 radiator, $100 to fix one freakin transmission cooler line, $32 for two radiator caps, $400 for a timing belt and water pump installation, $115 for just the front brakes, $155 for a half axle replacement, and the list goes on. I seriously just want to know if ppl continue paying these ridiculous maintainence fees or if it ever ends. My car is just a toy, but I could've gotten a boat and a four wheeler had I known what I was in store for. My Ford F150 with 232000 miles has had 2 tires and 2 shocks needed for a whopping total of $200 in five years. I've owned my MX3 for 6 months!
Domnknpimp

Post by Domnknpimp »

Dont ever shop at Napa. The only reason I would ever go there is its for a Commercial Truck, Farm equipment, or Marine Application.. You can even try Auto zone, i'm pretty sure it would have been a LOT less than that...

neutral wrote:When it comes to owning imports like a Mazda, Yota, Nissan, I'm not sure there's that big a difference anymore in the cost of replacement parts. I used to think differently, that Mazda was the most expensive of them. Not so sure anymore. Just bought a new (reman) starter from NAPA Auto for my 92 Celica and the damn thing was $200 USD PLUS a $62 core charge! Damn that seems like a lot for a startermotor, especially for what may be the most common, numerous and popular 4cyl. engine that Toyota ever produced.
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

Are you insane? Napa is one of the few places that actually trains their employees to know the difference between their asses and holes in the ground. Yeah their prices are slightly more than other places.. but they also stock only quality parts. How many people have bought remanufactured distributors from Autozone and have them fail? Last count I remember seeing from just TWO People was like 10 or 11 total remanufactured distributors!!.. I dont know about you guys.. but I would rather spend a few extra bucks for decent parts than save $10 bucks and have the hassle of having to do the job over and over again. Just my two cents. Not too mention Gro's snapped Axle that he got where? You guessed it.. Autozone. Thanks.. but Autozone sucks monkey nuts.. and wont see a penny of my cash ever :D

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
Custommx3
Site Administrator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Custommx3 »

Not to men tion I love the axle warranty. They are the few places that actually have what I need. But, ALWAYS buy OEM seals.

I bough the front main seal on my RS from Advance auto parts. Was the wrong size (even though it fit) I had my car all the way together and it started leaking...

had to pull the motor apart again. From then on.. Mazda ownly seals.
93SOHC

Post by 93SOHC »

Tunes67 wrote:Are you insane? Napa is one of the few places that actually trains their employees to know the difference between their asses and holes in the ground. Yeah their prices are slightly more than other places.. but they also stock only quality parts. How many people have bought remanufactured distributors from Autozone and have them fail? Last count I remember seeing from just TWO People was like 10 or 11 total remanufactured distributors!!.. I dont know about you guys.. but I would rather spend a few extra bucks for decent parts than save $10 bucks and have the hassle of having to do the job over and over again. Just my two cents. Not too mention Gro's snapped Axle that he got where? You guessed it.. Autozone. Thanks.. but Autozone sucks monkey nuts.. and wont see a penny of my cash ever :D

Tunes67
Its all very true! Former NAPA employee of 2.5 years.
93SE-KLDE Theres a big peice of metal inside my other peice of metal now...weird???
V8KOMX3
Supporting Member

Post by V8KOMX3 »

The only thing I have had break on my car was my clutch and it went out 40 miles out of town when I was goin to a 2 live crew concert. I turned around and still drove the car the 40 miles home then another 15 miles to the shop a week later before the clutch finally ripped in half. I love my car we have an agreement I treat her well she doesn't leave me standed. My car is more reliable than a women could ever be :) 140,000miles on the car and she still runs like she was brand new excpet for the crack in the factory accordian intake piece but nothing duct tape didn't fix. These cars are tanks :driver:
Kuromu

Post by Kuromu »

For me, it is not all just owning the car and doing the routine maintenance on it. I like the satisfaction of getting my hands on it and keeping it running, improving the performance, handling, whatever.

Sure, I could save up all that money and buy a newer and already better car but then I would have something everyone else had and it would not be as 'personal'.

The MX-3 is RARE around here, I have seen only two others in my city, so when I pull up somewhere and someone asks me about my car I get a little warm feeling of pride when I talk about it to them. And knowing that I am making it what it is is even better.

This year is the BP/MTX upgrade and body kit. I am sure to cause a stir once that is done. Probably attract a good deal of law enforcement while I'm at it. ;)
93 MX3 RS BP 2.0 // 87 RX7 HKS Turbo
neutral
Supporting Member

Post by neutral »

Agree w/Tunes & 93SOHC re NAPA. If I don't buy online, I have both NAPA and Advance Auto Parts near me. I'll grab tuneup parts (maybe) and fluids at AAP but not usually much else and I rarely go there for reman parts (or belts). NAPA stocks more in-house, + their CSR's know something about cars, and I've had bad experiences with some cutrate priced reman parts from the other chain stores like AAP, Autozone, Trak Auto, Pep Boys, Hi-Gear - especially with reman parts that touch the elec system. Grrrrr.

NAPA's reman parts have pretty much outlasted the lifecycle of my past rides & are doing well on the current rides. The MX-3 is my 15th car. My .02 fwiw
93SOHC wrote:
Tunes67 wrote:Are you insane? Napa is one of the few places that actually trains their employees to know the difference between their asses and holes in the ground. Yeah their prices are slightly more than other places.. but they also stock only quality parts. How many people have bought remanufactured distributors from Autozone and have them fail? Last count I remember seeing from just TWO People was like 10 or 11 total remanufactured distributors!!.. I dont know about you guys.. but I would rather spend a few extra bucks for decent parts than save $10 bucks and have the hassle of having to do the job over and over again. Just my two cents. Not too mention Gro's snapped Axle that he got where? You guessed it.. Autozone. Thanks.. but Autozone sucks monkey nuts.. and wont see a penny of my cash ever :D

Tunes67
Its all very true! Former NAPA employee of 2.5 years.
Image -Jim
Zim_Zim

Post by Zim_Zim »

Some of you are lucky ...since i have bought my 1996 mx3 i have spent about $3000 in repairs..not to mention my car is going in tommorrow to the shop cuz the tranny is going now. i luv mx3's but my ride is raping me of all my funds. it's only at 130,000Km's and a new tranny needed is ridiculous. i have already replaced the springs and shocks in the front, the back needs to be done too, a new timing belt, new waterpump, new distributor, theres an issue with the valve cover gasket-leaks oil through onto manifold-doesnt matter if its replaced it will still do it, new muffler, my HLA's are screwed (massive ticking), i know there is more ive replaced in the short year and a half ive owned it i just cant remember anymore which is good i guess cuz this car is causing emotional damage to me with all the cash needed. oh ya my air intake hose is cracked, but duct tape worked there. ill let ya know how much the tranny will be tommorrow...fun stuff! my car has got to be a monday or friday manufactured beast.
Custommx3
Site Administrator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Custommx3 »

Heres the deal..

Most people dont understand when you buy a car that used, u have to pay for the previous owners abuse. If they drive it hard, they will wear out components, and they will have to be replaced.

A car itself is an expensive toy, not counting mods, just general maintenance. Your dealing with a car thats been out of production here in the states for 10 years, and just a few years shy of that in other countries. A ball joint will 90% of the time go out in 10 years, as can many seals. If you dont take care of the car and fix it, its going to break down.. period.

Ive had my RS for 7 years. I do all my maintenance myself that doesnt require machining. I havent had to replace much since ive owned it, but I do my tune-ups once a year atleast. Its not cheap, and it should be expected to be. Its an old limited production car. I can pay a few hundred bucks or more a year, or I can get a new car and pay that a month.

I dont fuss if my car breaks down, its gotten me 182,000 miles so far.

Oh and by the way.. for the 1st 14,000 miles of my cars life, it was a rental car in Ankorage, Alaska.
Kuromu

Post by Kuromu »

Exactly. I had the fortune of finding my MX-3 in need of some repair when I went to look at it. After doing some research, I decided it was the car I wanted. It looks sweet, with some garage work and ingenuity it could really be my own 'unique' car, and the upgradability was less imposing than my old 86 BMW 325e (My first and only *new* car).

Do I work on my car a lot? Yeah, always tweaking and occassionally something in it breaks or starts sounding funny. Oh well, aside any devastating collisions, I always have the means to fix what ails it and enjoy doing so.
93 MX3 RS BP 2.0 // 87 RX7 HKS Turbo
jrors
Supporting Member

Post by jrors »

Yes it is true, you do spend a nice amount of money to keep up with the MX-3 in time, (sooner or later)... but IMO, just knowing that I'm driving a rare vehicle and it does stand out because of that fact alone....... It just feels right to me.

My MX-3 is my pride and joy! And I just had a Viper alarm installed yesterday to let her know her safety is important to me! :lol:

By the way guys, I'll be putting on my rims I bought off of Fictionaldaydream this Saturday and I'll post pics of it in the image department so please leave me some replies to tell me what you ladies and gents think! :D
If you fall, then get back up........Luck favors the prepared

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”