New owner of 95 manual RS

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
J9

New owner of 95 manual RS

Post by J9 »

Hey guys, I just thought I better get myself acquainted with the board, considering I'll probably have lots of questions I'll be asking, this being my first car.
I just bought her a few days ago and have already had to go back to the dealer for repairs to the gas tank. I discovered it leaking after I filled it up for the first time. I haven't really had much of a chance to drive her around, which sucks.
I was wondering though, as stated in the 95 brochure info on the site, does the 95 4cyl manual really only have 105 hp? Not that I have much experience driving cars really, but she seems to have some decent pull to her beyond 105 hp. Just curious.
I was also wondering if there might be any good advice some of you might be willing to offer to new owners, expecially those of you that own a 95 4cyl manual RS like me, I would really appreciate any pointers you guys might have for me.
Thanks

Janice
Thunderstorm

Post by Thunderstorm »

:D :D :D

Welcome to the board Janice!
And congratulations on your new MX-3 95 Manual RS acquisition.
You will find the MX-3 one of the most interesting vehicles you have ever owned. It is probably one of the most underrated coupes in existence.

I have a 1998 RS, one of the last ones made (I live in the UK).
The 1997 Mazda MX-3 brochure for my car actually describes its engine as having 110 bhp. There is a V6 version too. Very powerful - The force is strong in that version.

You will find the MX-3 quite nippy, even in its 1.6i DOHC incarnation.
When you are alone in the car - it will be at its nippiest.
The fact that it has a small squat wide body means that it weighs less than a normal 4 door vehicle with the same 1.6i engine capacity.
When there are four of you in the car,you may notice a drop in performance, though on a motorway it will stay glued to the tarmac no matter your speed.
However, when you are alone, cruising, you will indeed marvel at it's pulling power. It is very well designed. They dont make them like this anymore.

Note the "bath tub" seating position - that is no accident, no matter what anyone tells you, the Mazda MX-3 is a true sports coupe. Even the 1.6i DOHC engined RS. Make sure you configure your driving seat for maximum visibility, always grip that power steering with both hands for maximum feedback (and control) and - ENJOY!!

Welcome to the fold!

:wink: :wink: :wink:

Thunderstorm
1998 MX-3 RS 1.6i DOHC "Blackbird". Totally Stock.

The 21st Century is a con; where is my Hovercar?!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2058708
J9

Post by J9 »

Thanks :D The backseats don't have a lot of room to offer, but I don't have to sit back there so I'm not too worried about it haha. I'd love to see what kind of simple performance mods I can do that don't involve swapping in a KLZE. I'm a fulltime university student so I definitely don't have the cash for that. There are so many things I want to do to it, I'm so excited to own one! I'm trying to fit time in to read up on the board about simple performance things I can do to give 'er a little more hp.

Janice
Thunderstorm

Post by Thunderstorm »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

The back seats are for kids, though adults not nore than 5ft 8in who want to experience what it was like riding in a Mercury Space Capsule back in the 1960s can experience this by riding in the back seats of an MX-3.

Claustrophobes need not apply.
It is tight, an adult WILL fit, (I had a ride in the back of an MX-3 - it was cool) like riding in the rear cockpit of a Lockheed SR-71 Blackbird.
But then, I always wanted to be an Astronaut 8)

There are lots of people here who can assist you with advice on modding out your RS. Enjoy your ride!

Take time to learn how to drive it.
<Surely you are not serious? - I am serious, and don't call me Shirley> :lol:
It took me at least 3 weeks to become one with car.
You wont regret it.

Drive safely Janice.
1998 MX-3 RS 1.6i DOHC "Blackbird". Totally Stock.

The 21st Century is a con; where is my Hovercar?!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2058708
monty73741
Forum Moderator

Post by monty73741 »

the klze swap from 4-6 is basicly need a donar v6

why not just turbo the b6 with a mani off the b6t or swap in a bp/bpt
freyguy_412

Post by freyguy_412 »

I think the key word in her post was "simple" mods. LOL

Use the search button and type in the various mods you are thinkin of. Odds are that someone has thought of it and it has been discussed many a time. I've seen a lot of people are using the SOHC cold air intakes off of ebay on their DOHC's... pretty much bolt right on from what I understand. For exhaust, your best bet would be a universal muffler and about $175 at a muffler shop for a cat back exhaust.

Hope you enjoy your car! The 105hp is kinda frustrating when you wanna try and beat a civic with a fart can, but these cars are pretty quick when you build them up. A motor with oil cooled pistons built for racing in Japan has a lot of potential, just gotta undo all the "economy" mods the factory put into this car.
It might be slow, but it's not a civic!
J9

Post by J9 »

Yeah since I've only owned it for a few days I can't see adding a turbo happening within the next year or two, if at all, realistically speaking. I suppose it depends on where I'm going to be in the next 5 years. I'd love to do exhaust this year, although I've heard it doesn't do much in terms of hp, just changes the sound of the car. I can't see a whole lot being done other than minor stuff because I have a line of credit to pay off before I can sink real money into the car. I'll have to see what happens. Thanks for the encouragement though :)

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”