Crankshaft problem advice needed!!!

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
TrickMX-3

Crankshaft problem advice needed!!!

Post by TrickMX-3 »

I discovered yesturday that when my car is idleing i hear a screech noise now and then so i decided to check under the hood. What i came acrossed is that my crankshaft is not rotating all the time, it rotates around 1 time then stops for a second then rotates again. I was wondering if anyone knows what the problem might be and give me some advice on it. Also i checked my drive belt and underneath i felt and it was kind of dry and tiny chunks were missing which im going to need to change the belt but would this cause it? Let me know i would really appreciate it alot. Thanks

Jon
Chino921

Post by Chino921 »

I dont think you were looking at the crankshaft. It can't rotate once, stop for a second, and rotate again. so... what were you looking at, where was it located?
atlantamx3
Supporting Member

Post by atlantamx3 »

Uhh I think you are mistaken.

The car would not be running if that was happening.
~Perry
Please visit
http://www.mx3-atlanta.com
TrickMX-3

ha

Post by TrickMX-3 »

Haha sorry my mistake, it was the pulley at the middle of the engine, i cant remember what it is i feel stupid lol. Well its like in the very middle of the engine and is part of the drivebelt system so sorry let me know alright thanks lol.
Chino921

Post by Chino921 »

It's obviously not the crank so that would mean that it's your water pump! I wouldn't hesitate to long to get it fixed, I'm sure you know the end result if you do.
TrickMX-3

Ill take a picture of it and let you see

Post by TrickMX-3 »

I'll take a picture of it so you can see and post it. Alright
93SOHC

Post by 93SOHC »

???? :shock:
93SE-KLDE Theres a big peice of metal inside my other peice of metal now...weird???
TrickMX-3

Crank

Post by TrickMX-3 »

My mistake its my crankshaft pulley. It spins once and stops and spins once then stops and makes a sreech noise. But while the pulley is not spinning the belt is still moving so it seems like its ok but i just wonder if there is a bolt i need to tighten or something. Let me know
93SOHC

Post by 93SOHC »

it can't be the crank pulley cause if that wasn't spinning neither would anything else on the motor since it turns all your accessories. its gotta be something else???
93SE-KLDE Theres a big peice of metal inside my other peice of metal now...weird???
ryanlindenberg

Post by ryanlindenberg »

i think it's your water pump. how many belts run on the pulley? if it's one then it's your water pump(pulley has 3 small bolts holding it on), if it's 2 belts then it's the crankshaft pulley(has one BIG bolt holding it on) which isn't even possible. i'd replace the water pump and both of the belts.
CARDOMAIN WITH UPDATED PICS
"There are 2 kinds of pedestrians, the quick and the dead."
TrickMX-3

Its

Post by TrickMX-3 »

Its the crankshaft pulley it has the big drive belt and the smaller belt that runs one it thats closer to the engine. It has 2 belts on it. Could it be there is a bolt that needs to be tighten or i need to lubricate it? Well Jay if you want when i get payed Friday and you want to bring the headunit you can take a look if you want. Just let me know anything thanks.
93SOHC

Post by 93SOHC »

yeah, sounds good man. I'll take a look at it. Drop me a PM.

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”