adding a 5th speaker.....

Car Stereo/Alarm Discussions
MarkMoore

adding a 5th speaker.....

Post by MarkMoore »

k, i bought basically everything for my system now... there's only one problem.... when i want to listen to my system loud, the head unit just barely doesn't have enough juice to power the 4 speakers without driving into clipping (distortion more or less).... so i'm thinking i need to go out and buy a 4-channel amp to pump out just that tiny bit more i need out of my speakers to play them loud enough w/o distortion... this does seem like a little bit of overkill however, as all i need is to just be able to click up the volume from the '50' range (distortion free) to the '53'-'55' range (distortion begins :evil:)... so is there a way i can add a fifth speaker (i haven't work on the schematics yet, like where i'd mount it and so forth--maybe custom fiberglass enclosure?????) w/o goin into an amp to drive my full-range speakers? i mean, what would happen if i just tapped into the wires leading to one full-range speaker and spliced 2 sets of +'s and 2 sets of -'s, of course one set goin to the original speaker, and the other set goin to my new 5th speaker... would this make my system louder, or would each of these speakers just play half as loud because i'm now requiring 2 speakers to be driven out of the same line????

P.S. sorry if i have a lot of misconceptions in this thread, that's y i posted, to get help :D
1992 GS/RS Mutant Automatic
Typhoonk

Post by Typhoonk »

Get a deck that does 5.1 sound.

or

get a 4ch amp. Run the two front speakers of the amp, as well as the '5th' speaker. Leave the rear speakers running off the deck.

Don't hook up your deck to 5 speakers, wired any which way. Unless your deck can do it. Most decks can only take 4 speakers, with a 4-6ohm impedance.

:? :!:
-------------------------------------------------------
Got to sell one of my cars to cover the bills
2002 Mazda Protege 5 - Manual, Blue colour fully loaded
PM for info

Return to “Car Stereo/Alarm”