NIGHT JOBS

Off-Topic Discussions
V8KOMX3
Supporting Member

NIGHT JOBS

Post by V8KOMX3 »

I was wondering if anyone else works a night job like I do and if so what are your hours, and how do you like it? Do you get payed more to work nights?

I work 10pm to 630am and it is cool sometimes, until your skins turnes pasty and you look like a vampire :|
neutral
Supporting Member

Post by neutral »

I used to work the 11p-7a shift in a hospital E.R. for two years and hated it after awhile. Pay differential was 15% for working the overnight shift. I was constantly short of sleep. No prob falling asleep when I got home in the a.m. but I'd wake up too soon in the early afternoon, then end up staying awake for the day and be hating life that night when it was time to report for duty, arghhh. Knew a lot of ppl who liked the nightshift though. After two years I switched to the evening shift working 3p-11p and liked that much better. Still got a 10% pay diff too.
Image -Jim
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

neutral wrote:I used to work the 11p-7a shift in a hospital E.R.
I'm impressed, working in an ER and going home to turn a few wrenches under the hood of an MX - very versatile. I would have figured you for something a little more technical backround related, hands gettin' dirty and the like...LOL. Stil can't figure where you got that "perhapsadingo8herbaby".
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas
neutral
Supporting Member

Post by neutral »

jschrauwen wrote:I'm impressed, working in an ER and going home to turn a few wrenches under the hood of an MX - very versatile. I would have figured you for something a little more technical backround related, hands gettin' dirty and the like...LOL. Stil can't figure where you got that "perhapsadingo8herbaby".
lol, ok this is maybe a bit macabre-sounding but hey, whether ppl or cars - in one sense, "parts is parts" right?, and there are dif ways to get hands dirty. I don't do ER work any longer, not on any shift... everyone has their limit & never knows where that limit is until it's reached - one day I reached mine. As far as nightwork, lack of sleep was driving me nuts & I just never adjusted very well to over-night shift. (altho the patient cases were often interesting during those hours - weird stuff happens after midnight) Since mid-late 90's I've been managing teams of network engineers doing design and implementation of large data networks in hospitals and medical research lab environments and... it's a day j.o.b. :)

The former perhapsading8yerbaby s/n came from a funny punchline on a '90's U.S. TV comedy show, "Seinfeld." Then I stumbled on the actual Azaria case at Redrock, Australia where this couple's baby was snatched & killed by a wild dingo. Didn't know about it before. If that case was somehow the source for that punchline, & it weirdly does seem to have been, another reason for the s/n changeover to Neutral when the new BB went online.
Image -Jim
93SOHC

Post by 93SOHC »

I have worked all shifts and I must say that 2nd is the best. I work 3pm to 11:30. I persomnally feel that 3rd isn't worth the shift premium cause you waste an entire day sleeping. If you live in a big city I could understand, but out here in knowhere land 2nd is the best!
93SE-KLDE Theres a big peice of metal inside my other peice of metal now...weird???
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

I have worked all manner of shifts... I didnt mind graveyard so much cause I was able to crash right after I got off work.. I would be up by 2pm and have a solid 9 hours to do whatever I wanted on work days. For me.. the worst shift I ever worked was 6am to 3pm.. that sucked.. getting up at 5 am is simply unworkable.. I was always a zombie even if I went to bed at 8pm. Swing shift was ok.. but kinda lame cause none of my friends worked the same time so I didnt have anyone to hang with or do anything with.. and Barflys are never an option ;) My current shift is pretty decent.. 9-6 bankers hours.. and I get to sit on the puter all day.. not good for the ever widening rear end.. but my boss will get me a new chair when this one breaks ;) LOL

Tunes67
kiwi_MX3

Post by kiwi_MX3 »

I work some odd ball shifts depending on when the planes are in the
hanger, or when the engine lines need parts ASAP.

6pm to 6am or 2pm to 2am but regular hours are 6am to 6pm
makes for a long day not as odd ball as you guys....

yea i now what you mean like looking like a white zombi, after
3 weeks of overnights in the hanger, god it was nice to get daylight!
Kiwi - Native Bird Of New Zealand, semi-nocturnal, secretive bird
Flightless, though can be found flying firstclass
Poor eyesight, though can spot a good pub at 100yards.
tw1st3d_cl0wn
Supporting Member

Post by tw1st3d_cl0wn »

Tunes,

6am-3pm...

Those were my hours. I know what you mean about the zombie thing. If I wake up anytime before 6am, I feel horrible. I got used to it, but decided to change my hours to 7am-3pm. I decided to just get rid of my lunch breaks. I figure I need to just get the day done and overwith. The most depressing thing for me is, going to lunch, and having to come back and work again. Haha. But I chose those hours because I hate getting off work after 5pm. I always felt like I didn't have enough time left in the day to do stuff. Figured I might as well get the day over with and get home by 3:30.
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

Heh.. they started me off at 7am -4pm .. then changed my hours to 6am -3pm.. sometimes I would skip lunch and get out early.. But prior to that job.. I had been working swing shift & gaveyard for about 6 years.. so trying to adjust back to day hours really sucked.. I still feel like I slept through that 2 year stint at that company.. oh well.. the owner was a bonehead anyway ;)

Tunes67
lucky13

Post by lucky13 »

I work from 6pm to finish. It could be at 2:30am to the latest 8:00am. I also get .50 more for the nights. I worked that for 5yrs and worked form 4am to 3pm for two yrs. They both have there ups and downs. I am also a night person. I could sleep all day and do stuff at night.
Ricksmx3
Supporting Member

Post by Ricksmx3 »

i have been working 8am to 4pm every since i have been working (2 years). I get paid salary and it has its ups and downs. Ups being that if it rains and i dont get to work for a day or to (i am a carpenter) and if i finish a job early one day and go home at 11 or 12 i still get paid the same. Downs are if it dont rain or i dont finish early and i have to work all day every day then the money dosent actually seem all that good. But i like it and wouldnt change nothing at the monent.
2010 MazdaSpeed 3
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

Sweet! Rick.. want come build me a deck for my back yard? ;) :lol:

Tunes67
Ricksmx3
Supporting Member

Post by Ricksmx3 »

I could hook you up if you were closer.
2010 MazdaSpeed 3
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

No sweat man.. was only kidding anyway :)

Tunes67
mazdubber

Post by mazdubber »

I used to work the 11:30pm to 7:30am shift. Back then was the best sleep I ever had. Sleep until 5, have dinner, go out with friends and back to work. Then they changed me to the 3:30pm to 11:30 shift. I think I lasted a week and a half on that shift before I quit. That one screwed with my internal schedule like crazy. Next day I got a good ol' day job. 7:30 to 3:30 is great! Other than the fact that I actually have to get up in the morning. :cry: But I'm always up for something new!!! Anybody have a job for me??? :lol:
92 GS
'Stock'... :twisted:

Return to “Off-Topic”