SuperCharging a KLDE, worth it?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Juans_93_MX3

SuperCharging a KLDE, worth it?

Post by Juans_93_MX3 »

What SuperChargers are there available/compatible with the KLDE?
Whats the estimated cost?
How much Torque would I gain?

I hear Jeff Abram's old MX3 with the supercharger hit 300whp, what other modifications did he have besides the SC?

My goal would be to reach atleast 230hp/230ft torque to the wheels

Of course, this is with other mods besides the SC
2008 Mazda 3
1993 MX3 GS
KLZE, Fidanza flywheel, KL31 CAMs, South Bend Stage I Clutch, Pacesetter STS, SS AutoChromes, Magnaflow muffler, 2.25' Exhaust, CAI, Blaster Coil HEI, KLDE Valvetrain, 5 Speed Swap
DavidOS

Post by DavidOS »

yes its worth it for the sheer fun factor, but its not to easy with our tiny engine bays.

I believe a Eaton M45 will fit, not sure about the M90.
1994, GS, KLZE, 67mm TB, LightFlywheel, Centreforce Stg 3 Clutch, CAI, KL36 ecu, B&M shortshifter, Solid poly mounts, lightweight Aluminum Cross memeber, 2.5 high flo cat, 2.5 all back, Tanabe Exhaust, optima battery, ZX2 HD tokicos, eibach prokit, black altezzas.....

http://www.modifiedmazda.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.
Juans_93_MX3

Post by Juans_93_MX3 »

DavidOS wrote:yes its worth it for the sheer fun factor, but its not to easy with our tiny engine bays.

I believe a Eaton M45 will fit, not sure about the M90.
Does Jeff or anyone have pics of the 300hp supercharged MX3?
2008 Mazda 3
1993 MX3 GS
KLZE, Fidanza flywheel, KL31 CAMs, South Bend Stage I Clutch, Pacesetter STS, SS AutoChromes, Magnaflow muffler, 2.25' Exhaust, CAI, Blaster Coil HEI, KLDE Valvetrain, 5 Speed Swap
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

You'll find info on the MX6.com board. You have to remove your air conditioning compressor and I belive you'd have to swap your fans for slimline ones.
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

I was too thinking about doind a supercharger setup...any idea of the price?
Juans_93_MX3

Post by Juans_93_MX3 »

solo_ryder wrote:I was too thinking about doind a supercharger setup...any idea of the price?
http://www.capa.com.au/prices_eaton.htm $2789

more info
http://www.automotive.eaton.com/product ... rs/M45.asp
http://www.mx6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=128337

Cheaper than a turbo by about $1000 and a quicker install (what I hear, more of a bolt-on)

I am pretty sure that on Ebay there might be some for a cheaper price
2008 Mazda 3
1993 MX3 GS
Kokiriwave

Post by Kokiriwave »

jeff's mx-3 hit 296 hp with a turbo setup, he ditched the supercharger and made his own turbo setup. I believe.

you could make a turbo system for under 1700 if your money goes a long way and you do all the work yourself.
I want MAZDASPEED!
MY WEBSITE:: http://kingmx.net
Juans_93_MX3

Post by Juans_93_MX3 »

Kokiriwave wrote:jeff's mx-3 hit 296 hp with a turbo setup, he ditched the supercharger and made his own turbo setup. I believe.

you could make a turbo system for under 1700 if your money goes a long way and you do all the work yourself.
Under $1700 with intercooler, BOV, FMU, wastegate, turbo turbine, piping, downpipe, exhaust manifold ect? Everything used?
2008 Mazda 3
1993 MX3 GS
lucky13

Post by lucky13 »

I too wil like to go SC. It seems a lot less stressfull. I think turbos could do more bost but hee.
MX-3 Money
Supporting Member

Post by MX-3 Money »

Well if you really wanna do a sc, you should talk with the mx-6 and probe guys since you have a de. Here are some links to a site that is selling a sc setup for the 6 and probe. Now they are a lot of money, but i'd get one. They also have a turbo setup.

http://www.precisionracingonline.com/HOME.html
http://pmoforums.com/index.php?sid=6fb8 ... 00f622dd76

Now the sc setup they have might not fit a mx-3 or you'd atleast have to get some slimline fans. You have to relocate the oil filter too. Sounds like a lot of work and money, but it'd be fu*kin cool.
1993 MX-3 GS 5 spd, KL-ZE swap, kl31 ecu, 110 amp alternator, Unorthodox Underdrive Pulley, SSautocrome headers, High flow cat, Pacesetter high flow cat-back, B&M shortshifter, Clear Sigs/Sides.
rebel2k4

Post by rebel2k4 »

Yeah last I remember jeff only made about 220 whp on the engine when it was supercharged. The 296 whp pull he had was on 14 psi on a turbo kit.
Jeff also had an extra injector controller, intercooler setup, and MSD BTM.

Turbo is definately more efficient and makes more power. I made 270 whp on 8 psi. This summer I'm bumping up to 15 psi, I'll be sure to dyno.

Depending on how you play your cards, you could build a turbo kit for much cheaper than an sc kit. I know I did. But it does require being resourceful and knowing how to weld ;)
94 Mazda MX3 GS - 395 whp 397 ft lbs untuned on pump gas and stock KLDE 15 psi boost. now running 16 psi and E85.. numbers=? 425ish whp
04 GSXR 600- full exh, power commander 3, int turn signals, etc
98 Ford Ranger 3.0L
01 YZ250- most fun vehicle Ive ever owned.
95 Eclipse- built 420a, 60-1, megasquirt, 371 whp @ 17 psi, dsm-broken-car-curse
XxantwawnxX

Post by XxantwawnxX »

what did u run your 14.23 on? cause i just had a ze and i ran a 14.4....or was it a 14.2...cant remember. although my car was gutted. although im alot closer to sea lv : P

* * * * * * 92 Mx3 ZET, rear/front swaybars,srd crossmember,HKS SSQV,cold air,ZE with millinia mani and TB and 280cc injectors,INtrax springs with tokiko HP struts, Grounding kit, MotegiTrakLite wheels 17's at 14lbs each, MSnS Running fuel and spark,HEI mod,T3/To4E .60/.63 stage 3 turbine,3rd gen rx7 fuel pump, SSAC Headers/hotpipes ,38 ext tial wastegate, findanza flywheel, SBC TZ clutch/pressureplate,braille11pound battery/ magnum drilled F/R rotors,projectors, CXmotorsports almuminum intercooler.
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

hey luis (lucky13) its a ze :D.... kl31 stamps. Unless its the newer de from the millenia but im almost certain its a ze.
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
rebel2k4

Post by rebel2k4 »

XxantwawnxX wrote:what did u run your 14.23 on? cause i just had a ze and i ran a 14.4....or was it a 14.2...cant remember. although my car was gutted. although im alot closer to sea lv : P
Yeah that 14.23 run was pretty bad considering what I have. It did trap 103 mph though. Most ZE's I see run 14.5 or so run much lower traps, around 95 mph. What this says is that the car is capable of better times, I just can't get traction, and I need to work on my launch skills.

Anyhow it was done on a stock exhaust, with stock muffler, pushing 6 psi. I say it was in the 220 hp range. Its much faster now, and I have slicks next time around ;)

But in any case, if you're considering boosting your mx, don't hesitate. It makes this car totally different, it's simply awesome.

Like I said before, if you play your cards right, you could do a setup for a reasonable price. And as for supercharger or turbo, I recommend a turbo unless you find a real good deal on a supercharger kit. I dont think it cost anymore for a turbo, and its less maintanence and seems to be more reliable.
94 Mazda MX3 GS - 395 whp 397 ft lbs untuned on pump gas and stock KLDE 15 psi boost. now running 16 psi and E85.. numbers=? 425ish whp
04 GSXR 600- full exh, power commander 3, int turn signals, etc
98 Ford Ranger 3.0L
01 YZ250- most fun vehicle Ive ever owned.
95 Eclipse- built 420a, 60-1, megasquirt, 371 whp @ 17 psi, dsm-broken-car-curse

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”