Really rough startup after inactivity?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Absath

Really rough startup after inactivity?

Post by Absath »

92 GS with a KL-ZE. I went away for the weekend, and took a rental. Left the MX-3 in the garage. Came back 4 days later and when I started up my car, it started shaking really violently for for about 5-10 seconds, then died down into normal cold idle (RPMs steady around 1-2), and then after driving it and warming up the car, the ROMs dropped back to .5/1 for a nice smooth idle as it always does after the car has been warmed up.

So obviously I'm concerned about the shaking though. I mean, it shook the whole car. It did this once before about a week or two ago after I had not driven the car for a couple of days. It wasn't quite as bad though... it was so quick I almost missed it.

Does anyone have any experience with this? Any ideas? I did searches on the board but came up with nothing. Any help/insight would be appreciated. If there is a problem, I'd like to get it in ASAP before it escalates.

-Tim
Don't park drunk, accidents cause people.

92 Blaze Red MX-3 GS, KL-ZE, ACT Clutch, KL 36 ECU, SS Clutch Line
Chasing_Size

Post by Chasing_Size »

Been happening to mine for a while now, cause of the lines holding too much gas, running to rich im assuming, clogs out and struggles for air, its not bad for the car really, its just shaking,not like its redlining itself, just choking for air...
1992 Mazda mx3 gs / 03 / ms8 intake manifold / klze 67mm bored TB/ Custom CAI / 2.5 Custom exhaust / Drift kit front and sides/ CF Invader hood / 17'' MSR gunmetals with chrome lip / Tockico Blues / Suspension technique springs / Leather interrior/ B&M SS / Fully customized interrior (Red and black) / Corvette Red 00 Paint w/ white,blue,gold pearl / Shaved altezzas w/ black trim/ Front rear strut bars / ze ecu ( I think that's all )
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

It could be the fuel filter...the 626 used to have a hard time starting the longer she sat...your situation could be similar where it's initially restructing fuel-flow
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
Absath

Post by Absath »

Alright, well, as long as it's nothing serious. The car gets driven pretty regularly. It's only rarely that she sits for more than a day or two.
Don't park drunk, accidents cause people.

92 Blaze Red MX-3 GS, KL-ZE, ACT Clutch, KL 36 ECU, SS Clutch Line
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

It may be worthwhile to check you gas cap. You may be encountering a loss of fuel pressure in the lines between the fuel filter and the gas cap. If the cap does not keep a good seal those 4 days may have been all that was necessary to de-pressurize that part of the fuel system. Your car may have barely started with the fuel remaining in the system between the fuel filter and the injectors. But until the car ran for a minute or 2 until it completely pressurized itself it's possible it could shake and shudder until any air pocket in the system was purged. For the next time it happens to sit for a while I find it a good practice to turn the ignition switch to on/accessory without starting the the engine. You should hear the fuel pump pressurizing the system and then the relay kick off when completely charged. Depending on how long it's been sitting it may be anywhere from a couple of seconds to 10-15 seconds. Hope this helps.
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”