ABS Brakes

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Eunosss

ABS Brakes

Post by Eunosss »

Hi All,

This is aimed at the Eunos 30X owners (Australia/New Zealand). I have a '93 model and just want to know if it has ABS equipped as standard on this year, or is it an optional extra?
I had to slam on the brakes today to avoid an accident and the brakes locked up and I just went sliding (very scary) but didnt crash. First thing that came to mind is shouldnt the ABS have kicked in?

On the dash where the status lights are, i did notice that it has an ABS light, but this never lit up.

How do I check if I do have this equipped?

Thanks in advance fellas
Grants
BANNED Member

Post by Grants »

There should be an ABS fuse under the bonnet. Mines a 93 and I don't have ABS and theres no wire going to the load side of the fuse. There should also be an ABS controller under the passenger seat as far as I know.

The light on the dash that you're thinking is ABS could be the "bulb out" feature that comes on if one of your brake lights fail.
“You’ll find, that the only thing you can do easily is be wrong, and that’s hardly worth the effort.”
Eunosss

Post by Eunosss »

Thanks for the reply Grants.
Good call about checking the fuse, except the fuse box in the engine bay doesn't have any labels on it for what the fuse is for.
The fuse box under the dash does have an ABS fuse in it (10 amps) so does this mean its equipped?
Also its definately an ABS light, I shone a flashlight on it and it read "4W ABS" with a round symbol on top of it.
I checked under the passenger seat too, there was nothing there...

Anyway I better take the car to a mechanic this weekend to double check, I dont want to go through that experience again, and I think I might have a flat spot on the tyres after that slide lol
Eunosss

Post by Eunosss »

Just on a side note, you mentioned the "Bulb out" light on the dash.
About a month ago this light lit up and turned on intermittently for a few days before staying off for good.
I though it was the rear light bulbs dying so I reversed my car into my driveway with a mirror at the end and checked all the rear lights but they were fine.
Just thought it was weird. Also my "Hold light" would sometimes turn on and stay on, "Holding" my car in gear (I have an auto). I'll post about this on another thread.
Grants
BANNED Member

Post by Grants »

My "bulb out" light used to come on intermittantly as well. Ended up being a bad connection on one of the 3 little 9 watt globes in the 3rd brake light in the mibble of the hatch. So if it comes back have a look at them first.

Just had a look at mine again re ABS:
- yes I have the ABS fuse under the dash
- yes I have the ABS indicator light but its never been on
- the ABS fuse under the bonnet isn't in the main fuse box but in the subfuse block that sits next to it towards the firewall. There are 2 fuses in it. Looking from the front, the ABS fuse is the one on the right, ie towards the passenger front wheel.

Can't help you with the hold light, I've seen it mentioned a few times but don't know what its function is. I'll look at your other post - might leard something.
Cheers
“You’ll find, that the only thing you can do easily is be wrong, and that’s hardly worth the effort.”
Eunosss

Post by Eunosss »

I checked the sub fuse box, yes it had a pink 60 amp ABS fuse in there. It was even labelled :roll: , but thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

I think I do have it equipped going on what you are saying, but the ABS might be faulty so I'll get it checked. I might drive off to the local deserted parking lot on a wet night and try slamming the brakes at 40kmh and see what happens
Grants
BANNED Member

Post by Grants »

The fuse being in there won't tell you - you need to see if there is a wire coming out of it. Mine didn't so I used the fuse for better voltage for the headlights.

So maybe don't try the skid bit just yet....
kiwi_MX3

Post by kiwi_MX3 »

Might pay to stick your head under the bonnet and look and see
if you have a ABS pump ( its mounted right under the Battery )

Can't miss it for all the pipe work running to it.. also you will
have ABS speed sensor rings on the front CV joints..

I have seen NON ab's MX3's with all the fuse gear for ABS :shock:
Kiwi - Native Bird Of New Zealand, semi-nocturnal, secretive bird
Flightless, though can be found flying firstclass
Poor eyesight, though can spot a good pub at 100yards.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”