How do you replace a CAT?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
quicksliver

How do you replace a CAT?

Post by quicksliver »

I was looking under the car today and it seems like all you have to do is unbolt the CAT, take the gaskets out, and bolt a new CAT in. Do i just have to worry about the length of the new CAT? Cause if it's bigger and or smaller in length then the entire exhaust would have to be moved correct? Also, do i need a 3-way cat for a 92' mx-3 GS?
sweetmx3

Post by sweetmx3 »

if u r just using stock cat again then it should just bolt right up to it and using new gaskets. But if ur using a aftermarket highflow cat then u might have a little more difficultly. Just take it to a exhaust shop most examinations r free and ask how much to throw a aftermarket cat on would be.
andy

Post by andy »

It sounds easy when you say it that way. Reality is, it can be a pita.
The problem thats hard to overcome is, the stock cat on our cars is not standard by any means. The inlet and outlet flanges are not parallel to each other. Next holdup, the nuts/studs are probably rusted solid. I broke 2 ot of 4 taking mine off, and thats after leting them soak overnight.
It would be easier, but not cheaper, to replace the cat at the same time with a cat-back system if your going with an aftermarket high flo cat.

Andy 93 GS

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”