Mazda MX-3 4cyl... Should I Buy It?

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
mrfc3s

Mazda MX-3 4cyl... Should I Buy It?

Post by mrfc3s »

want to say hi to the community...
Im about to buy an MX-3, While the body is Immaculate, the engine is the opposite.

Im not sure what it would take to repair but
The Oil Smells Horriable,
Has Bottom End Nock,
And Takes a Few minuets of turning over to start, Once started, sounds fine except for the nock, even idles @800rpm

Not clear on how much he wants, but I think he wants $900(junkyard guy)
Im stupid on MX-3s but i do know that it is an Inline 4cyl 1.6L SOHC with EFI with a 5speed
Is it worth it? and what do you guys think is wrong with the engine?

Thanks
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

Its worth it if you dont mind knowing that you will be replacing the engine soon. If the body is indeed immaculate.. well there are a number of options open to you as to what engine you can put in it.. I would try to talk the guy down a bit.. just to see if I could.. ;) But if the body and interior are nice.. another $500 will replace the engine. Just my two cents.

Tunes67
neutral
Supporting Member

Post by neutral »

Agree w/Tunes67 on all points. If that's bottom end knock your hearing, it's rod-knock because the piston pushrods are slapping around indicating replacement of lower internals needed. Since the SOHC is only 88hp, if you go into this deal, expect to just outright replace/swap the engine.
Image -Jim
Blotto

Post by Blotto »

I'd say go for it to if you don't mind the added downtime. Need to try our best to keep these cars alive!

Not sure how hard it is to go from the 1.6 to the 2.5 but if you have to swap the engine anyhow...

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”