Has anyone tried this???

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
Blotto

Has anyone tried this???

Post by Blotto »

I was just reading over in the Suspension forum and jschrauwen posted this link. http://pesn.com/2005/03/17/6900069_Acetone/

Was curious if anyone has tried this method of adding Acetone to their gas? If so how were the results on the MX-3? If nobody else has tried it I vary well may and post my results.
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mitmaks »

Ive heard about it too, Ill research and post back
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

I am about to fill up tomorrow.. I will add 3 ounces of acetone to my fill up of 92 Oct Premium Cheveron fuel. My current trip meter reading is almost exactly 300 Miles on my last tank of gas (approx. 10 gallons). Note: The MX-3 has a 13.2 gallon (US Gallons) fuel tank capacity. From my experience.. (at least in my car) The orange fuel light comes on when I am down 10 gallons. Meaning there is a 3.2 gallon reserve in the tank that does not show on the fuel gauge.. give or take 1/2 a gallon. Due to the commuter nature of my car.. I should be posting back in about a week with my findings. Cheers.

Tunes67
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

Oh.. one other thing of note.. I am only attempting this because I have a complete spare set of rebuilt fuel injectors that I can pop in at a moments notice. So if this does go bad for some reason.. my car will only be down for a couple of hours while I purge the fuel system.

Tunes67
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mitmaks »

Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

Thats my initial expectation as well.. but since I have a 1/2 gallon of Acetone at work.. and since I need to fill up.. a quick call to my Uncle the machinist confirmed that it wont harm anything.. so what the hell.. I'll see what it does and it wont cost anything to check :D

Tunes67
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

Tunes67 wrote:Thats my initial expectation as well.. but since I have a 1/2 gallon of Acetone at work.. and since I need to fill up.. a quick call to my Uncle the machinist confirmed that it wont harm anything.. so what the hell.. I'll see what it does and it wont cost anything to check :D
Tunes67
Haven't found 100% acetone yet, but I'll keep looking and in the meantime I'll wait for your results Eric.
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

Its very common here.. should be interesting to see if this is accurate.. according to his numbers.. I should by comparison.. somehow achieve 38mpg at the least.. currently I am getting a average 30 MPG.

Tunes67
OptiX

Post by OptiX »

i'd like to hear the results too

current prices up here are 89 cents per litre.... $1.02/L if you're like me and feed your car 94 octane.
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

I filled up yesterday with 92 oct. cheveron gas and 2.5 ounces of acetone. I have only put 24 miles on it so far, but I havent noticed any performance difference. I'll report back on Friday.. I should have some indication by then if its doing anything.

Tunes67
Blotto

Post by Blotto »

Cool, thanks! I have read that it can swell some rubber parts/gaskets more but that is in concentrations higher than what you put into your tank. Even if gas mileage doesn't improve much still a great cheap way to clean out the carbon deposits on your injectors, etc.

If you look most fuel system cleaners main ingredient is Acetone!
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

where do i buy this acetone and how much..in case this test comes out good.
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
freyguy_412

Post by freyguy_412 »

Any hardware store will have it and it's frekin cheap.. like 5 bucks for a good sized bottle.
It might be slow, but it's not a civic!
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

I have been doing some thinking on this.. and its still way too early to tell if there is any difference in mileage or performance. But if this guys theory is correct.. this trick would work best on engines with high compression ratios, small displacement and highest octane gas available ( the higher the better ). Assuming this works at all.. I dont see it making much of a difference on V8 engines where the compression is often low (8:1.0 for example) unless you have really high octane gas to begin with. Granted this is all speculation at this point. But.. even if I do notice (or dont notice) any mileage improvement.. it might be worth someone else trying it where they have a higher compression ratio than mine (9:1.0) and/or higher octane gas available than the 92 I can get.

Tunes67
Blotto

Post by Blotto »

From what i was reading though it says to use 87 octane gas. Says that most newer cars don't have a high enough compression to burn up the higher octane gas. Also states he gets better mileage when adding the Acetone to the lower grade gas. Guess it allows it to burn it alot easier.

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”