belts still squeeling

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
CarMan1

belts still squeeling

Post by CarMan1 »

i put the belts on as to the stock specs.. when i start my car it squeels for a second or two, then when i push on my clutch it sometimes starts squeeling and wont stop unless i put my car in neutral for a bit... any ideas? this is very very very annoying.... ive tried tightening em, and everything and all to no avail..

thanks
CarMan1

Post by CarMan1 »

bump....

Anyone have any ideas? dont wanta hafta take it in and spend lots of money
mamoo

Post by mamoo »

Which belt is squealing? The alternator belt or power steering belt?

And how much are you tightening the alternator belt? How loose does it feel?

What's the test -- being able to twist the belt till it's at a 90 degree angle but no more? I can't remember.

If the belt's not already too tight, you could probably just tighten it a tiny bit at a time till it stops.

Gotta be real careful though, or you'll ruin the alternator.

Another option is to get some belt squealer spray for it (though it will weaken and snap the belt if you go crazy with the stuff).
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mitmaks »

heard that putting some soap on works too
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

The belt is slipping, that is your squeal. The engine accelerates when you disengage the clutch, causing the belt to accelerate causing more slippage, as was the case with my car as well. I had made the mistake of purchasing an inexpensive (cheap) belt and it lasted exactly 33 days, squealing like a schoolgirl, before snapping like a twig. The material is crappy on the cheap belts and gets hard and brittle really fast making it slip a lot. I replaced with a Goodyear Gatorback and it is good as gold now. Fits better and is not squealing.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”