fans dont spin, keys dont come put off ignition...

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
terminalblue

fans dont spin, keys dont come put off ignition...

Post by terminalblue »

ok...so i bought a 1995 mx-3 RS Auto a few weeks ago...i am having fun learning about it and what not. but heres the problem....i think that the last owner never opened the hood except to remove all the stuff that the first owner had installed (the alarm, the sound system, the wiring for the halogens).

i know it needs a tune up, oil change, tranny change , O2 sensor, new muffler...the easy stuff. but here are my questions...

ok...at first i couldnt get the keys out of my ignition. After a little headache, i just took the steering column cover off and found a small slider connected to a wire that goes to i dont even know where. I slid it forward and the key popped out. I did a little research in these wonderful forum and found that there is suppossed a button down by the shifter thatis long gone. i know what it does, but does anyone know how to fix it? The rockets scientist at Midas said tht i NEED a new lock and tumbler (with labor it was $650 to install, i think they dont have a clue and would like some advice.

heres number two....the fans only turn on when the AC is running...i am clueless(as usual) so if anyone has any guesses then feel free to step up to the plate.

last one!!! It doesnt seem to have to much punch in first gear....its just really slow to speed off...it may just be me though...i am coming from a 1995 nissan pathfinder 2.5l V6...so i dont know i just need an adjusting period. i know the tune up stuff will prolly fix it, but i just want to be sure its not a bigger problem.

thanks to everyone and thanks for the awesome website with so many great and relevant post!!!
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

its normal for fans to turn on when ac is running, the fans come on when the car warms up also, keep an eye on the temp gauge..as far as key in the ignition..you need a new ignition switch.
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
reaper of souls

Post by reaper of souls »

thats so odd about the key i just went out and took a look at my baby and i have a little see through green cover under the colume where a button should be but i can't say i have ever had that problem also i have a 94 rs so i don't know if that makes a difference
Image 96 X-90 4x4, 16v custom ram air intake lockers front and rear with 5.83 ring and pinion.
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

little see through green cover
This is actually a light cover. If the bulb is working.. any time you open the drivers door (at least on my car) it shines green light directly on the key slot. Makes it much easier to see the key slot when its dark.

Tunes67
reaper of souls

Post by reaper of souls »

ah i see but i have one problem with that and that is that my door pins are fubared so the lights don't come on so thanks for letting me know what that was there for it was kinda starting to bug me
Image 96 X-90 4x4, 16v custom ram air intake lockers front and rear with 5.83 ring and pinion.
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

No sweat.. the light is also apparently on some sort of timer circuit.. It remains lit for about 30 seconds or so then goes off (assuming you have closed the door)

Tunes67
mamoo

Post by mamoo »

Tunes67 wrote:No sweat.. the light is also apparently on some sort of timer circuit.. It remains lit for about 30 seconds or so then goes off (assuming you have closed the door)

Tunes67
Yes, that's right.

A nice feature, too, I must say.

As for the fan, it only comes on if the temperature gets up to a certain point; it's okay if it's not running (and the fact that it comes on on AC suggests that it works fine).

As for acceleration, that's pretty subjective. Automatics can generally seem a bit sluggish off the line compared with stick-shifts, but different people probably have different opinions on that.
Rick Johnson

Post by Rick Johnson »

Man, you just wiggle the steering wheel while turning backwards with the key, while pressing in..... Sometime the wheel lock mechanism effects the key release.
terminalblue

Post by terminalblue »

tried it "man"....no amount of wigglin gets it out i HAVE to reach over the column cover and pres the release mechanism...
terminalblue

Post by terminalblue »

ok mYbe i need to be more specific....
the fans ONLY turn on when the AC is running, otherwise they will not start at all....

and the keys....i have been able to get them out by reaching over the steering column cover and sliding a metal bar back that is connected to a wire. I ma trying to figure out where thisd wire goes (if there is a button on the steering column mine is long gone). But i am wondering if it is connect to the button that is supposed to be down by the shifter (mine is also missing there

thanks for you helps!!!

EDIT!!!!!
on page k-246 of the service manual they actual talk about the button that i am talking about(the "key interlock") and suggesst a couple of things. anyone know much about this?
mamoo

Post by mamoo »

That's strange about the key, don't know what to tell you about that.

As for the fan, the important thing is the temperature guage. If the engine's running hot, then you might have a problem. If not, don't worry about it.
terminalblue

Post by terminalblue »

i forgot to post this in the last one i did...yes the engine does run hot when the fans dont spin...it takes about 15 minutes for it to go into the red
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

Probably one of the coolant temperature sensors is out. There should be two or three depending on your year & engine type. In the meantime.. dont run it without turning on the A/C :)

Tunes67
terminalblue

Post by terminalblue »

ok....i will consult my chilton's and see what it has to say....in the mean time i have noticed that the AC doesnt keep the fan running....i dont know if anyone knows anything about it...but it never hurts to plead desparately
mamoo

Post by mamoo »

terminalblue wrote:i forgot to post this in the last one i did...yes the engine does run hot when the fans dont spin...it takes about 15 minutes for it to go into the red
Oh, okay, then you definitely have something wrong with the coolant system. Hopefully it's just a sensor or two.

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”