Installing Tails

A forum for Appearance Discussions. (Exterior, Body Kits, & Interior)
blackie

Installing Tails

Post by blackie »

hey how do you install tail lights did you have 2 take off your rear bumper ...?? whats the best way of putting them on without breaking anything... :?:
fry_81

Post by fry_81 »

just remove the plastic cover on top of the tail lights with the trunk open. remove the 3 screws i think it is, and push them out away from the vehicle, sometimes you have to push pretty hard.
1994 5spd GS Parts Car For Sale 800obo. e-mail for details. fry_81@hotmail.com
Trevor

Post by Trevor »

Lift your Hatch up. You'll see two screws going into the black plastic Garnish over the tail lights. Unscrew them then look to the middle of the tail lights toward the center of the car and you'll see another screw unscrew that one as well and take off the plastic garnish. Now all you have to do to get the light out is push it towards the ouside of the car.
ertaisi

Post by ertaisi »

After I did it the first time, I didn't even bother taking the two screws and plastic piece on top off. I just pulled the one screw from the inside of the light and pulled. It scared me the first time I took it off, the brackets holding it in are the snap type and pulling them out made me think I broke something. When reinstalling the tails, make sure to press firmly where all the brackets are to be sure they snapped in. There should be minimal wiggling when you're done.
'95 RS: RIP
Gro Harlem

Post by Gro Harlem »

lean ur body on top of hte taillight & grab the side of the lens w/both hands.
Pull it towards the outside of the car until it pops out. It'll be pretty violent & u'll probably fall over but whateva. If you lean against them u have less of a risk of ur hand flying back & cutting itself (i've done this 2 times so far removing my tails) and/or breaking something on the taillight housing.

Just make sure the one retaining screw is not caught up on the hole too
Noble Green Metallic 93' GS Hybrid, 91' 1.8 323
DONATE TO MX-3.COM
ovendenk
Supporting Member

Post by ovendenk »

sorry to sorta jack the thread, but just real quick. is it best to seal them right out of the box along the edge of the lens before installation or should you remove the lens and seal them properly? thanks.
kevin (aka The Oven)
93 mx-3 GS KL-ZE with KL31 cams and properly chipped ecu
All mods are on my website: http://ca.geocities.com/ovendenk
MX-3.com Worklog: http://www.mx-3.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=48462
93SOHC

Post by 93SOHC »

ovendenk wrote:sorry to sorta jack the thread, but just real quick. is it best to seal them right out of the box along the edge of the lens before installation or should you remove the lens and seal them properly? thanks.
I sealed mine right outta the box, w/o taking them apart. I have had em on since x-mas time and not a drop of moisture yet
93SE-KLDE Theres a big peice of metal inside my other peice of metal now...weird???
blackie

Post by blackie »

great thanks alot guys :D
Gro Harlem

Post by Gro Harlem »

yeah seal them for sure. I never had a leakage problem UNTIL JUST THIS PAST MONTH when i sprayed my car clean w/a pressure washer.

now my passenger light has condensation in it, looks like crap. It still there after over a weeks time :(

I gotta pull that one off and seal em up again i guess
Noble Green Metallic 93' GS Hybrid, 91' 1.8 323
DONATE TO MX-3.COM
mx almere

Post by mx almere »

Don't insulate, ventilate!

Drill a small hole from the back to let the air circulate... Moisture will go out with the hot air from the lights.
ScooterBovine
Supporting Member

Post by ScooterBovine »

Gro Harlem wrote:If you lean against them u have less of a risk of ur hand flying back & cutting itself (i've done this 2 times so far removing my tails) and/or breaking something on the taillight housing.
Tell me about it! I still have a scar on my left hand from where I impaled myself removing my tail lights, ha!
No more MX-3.

Return to “Appearance”