can you help me ?? ze engine. -> HORRIBLE TICKING NOISE

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
wagZE

can you help me ?? ze engine. -> HORRIBLE TICKING NOISE

Post by wagZE »

i did an oil change on the KLZE i put in 2 quarts of oil soon as i did the change. The ticking noise wasnt too bad at first BUT The next day there was a horrible ticking noise the guys at the mazda dealership think its my lifters and say my engine is probly about to go.

i added oil as soon as i noticed the ticking noise i added another quart of oil. it continued so i added 2 more quarts which got it to full.

the ticking noise is absolutely god awful and sounds like somehting is going to die. so i drove the car about only 20 miles with the ticking. its not a consistant tick it gets worse then better then worse.

Should I not even try to fix the engine is it worht it? or is it something as simple as a wrong oil filter?
1 mx6 88 LX auto 2.2l 4cyl
2 mx6 93 LS saved from junkyard SOLD
3 Mx6 96 M edition blow a ze part it
4 Mx6 96 gold LS paint n lights auto SOLD
5 mx6 red fresh paint clean, sold
1 mx3 92rs sohc auto rota c8s h&r
2 mx3 93 gsze bought w/ mods
3 mx3 93 GSze mtx swp act stg3 str8 nek im eibach kl36
4 mx3 GS SOLD-
6 mx3 white gs jdm swap'd SOLD
*5th mx3 blk GS clean title modded DD*
1 PGT 97 blk, garaged clean sold
2 pgt primered 5 spd KL SOLD
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

You haven't given any history as to what lead up to this "ticking". Your post gives me the impression that the ticking started when you went to do your oil change. Oil cange requires approx 4 litres oil when including the filter. Why would you only put in 2 quarts??? Very strange. Mazda techs "think" it's your lifters. I hope you used a Mazda oil filter and not gone the cheap route. A liitle more history or background leading up to this ticking on your ZE would be helpfull. One consideration might be that the valve cover(s) may be tighten down too tight and making contact with the the cams. This was a factory flaw on early MX engines and since the valve covers on the MX and ZE are interchangable, one would assume that the ZE's may have experienced similar problems. A newer valve cover gasket as well as thicker rubber washers on the tightening nuts was the remedy for that particular problem. An automotive type stethoscope to listen for and pin point the exact troubled area may help. What was the type and viscosity of oil you used? Re-post when you can address some of the issues identified. Hope this helps.
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

also check that the tensioner isnt going, sometims its that. Mine it was that...but well started making the noise again after one week. if its the rear head ticking its wither friction spring or tensioner. BUT after oil change.. hmm frinction gear?
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
mxmaz

Post by mxmaz »

Yeah its probably your hla's. If you only noticed this after your oil change maybe they used a heavier weight oil then what was in it before. Thinner oil is better for hla noise.
babyblueMX3
Supporting Member

Post by babyblueMX3 »

it's always one of those three:
HLA
FG
TBTA (timing belt tensioner arm)
RIP 400whp ZE-T MX-3
Current car : Golf 01 GTI 1.8T (15 psi)
mymx.3
Supporting Member

Post by mymx.3 »

My MX now has 150,000 on the motor. I do not know if the other owner had anything changed eg. timing belt, tensioner... I had the oil changed about three months ago ... I've driven 2,000 kms .. I went with 5W30..I usually had 10W30. Now the valves are clicking louder, she idles ok but then misses, and driving there is a hesitation the odd time ... this started about a month ago ... everything changed after putting the 5W30 in it or is it a coincidence.. please give me your ideas anyone.....thanks
New owner of a "2008 Tiburon GT"
Robotaz

Post by Robotaz »

I was wondering since i'm just a stupid engineer if you wouldn't mind not talking in acronyms and actually spell out those other two items(HLA, FG).
babyblueMX3
Supporting Member

Post by babyblueMX3 »

Robotaz wrote:I was wondering since i'm just a stupid engineer if you wouldn't mind not talking in acronyms and actually spell out those other two items(HLA, FG).
Hydraulic lash adjusters.
friction gear
RIP 400whp ZE-T MX-3
Current car : Golf 01 GTI 1.8T (15 psi)
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

mymx.3 wrote:My MX now has 150,000 on the motor. I do not know if the other owner had anything changed eg. timing belt, tensioner... I had the oil changed about three months ago ... I've driven 2,000 kms .. I went with 5W30..I usually had 10W30. Now the valves are clicking louder, she idles ok but then misses, and driving there is a hesitation the odd time ... this started about a month ago ... everything changed after putting the 5W30 in it or is it a coincidence.. please give me your ideas anyone.....thanks
Deb, wouldn't hurt to go back to 10W30 in the next week or so and at the same time the shop can do a quick inspection of your timing belt. Normally they're changed every 90K to 100K. I prefer to do it sooner just to be on the safe side. At 150k, the tech guys should be able to tell right away if it is still the original or not and as well be able to pinpoint the clicking problem. That's all predicated upon if you have a preferred shop that you can trust. You've probably read about Kenzie and the difficult time she is having with her local Mazda shop.
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas
wagZE

Now it wont even start! tried a few things.... HELP

Post by wagZE »

i found out one of the spark plug wires was bad, only one i could get in the meantime is a v6 maxima spark plug, no success it didnt work still wont start.
spark plugs were foul (carbon, and oil covered), replaced five of them one is stuck in there = ( didnt wanna strip it.

yea i really dont trst my local mazda dealership, they said i need a new engine and jst kept tryin to sell me one.

they did however say first instinct he thinks its the lifters. said itd cost at least $1,500 o fix it.
screw that.

the ticking was coming from the head closest to the front bumper
if that is relevant.

I tested for spark and i do have spark.
4 mx3 GS SOLD-
mymx.3
Supporting Member

Post by mymx.3 »

I do not trust any garage .. dealerships I think are the worse .. and after all these years .. you think I would have one that I could go to ..
New owner of a "2008 Tiburon GT"
DavidOS

Post by DavidOS »

mazda here in london quoted me 800 CDN $ to change lifters,
regardless, first order of operations before blowing your money is to
do an engine flush, this cleans up gunk and crap cause in the little holes in the lifters and also helps the ticking.

ALSO if you use mobil 1 synthetic 10w30 you get less ticking.
1994, GS, KLZE, 67mm TB, LightFlywheel, Centreforce Stg 3 Clutch, CAI, KL36 ecu, B&M shortshifter, Solid poly mounts, lightweight Aluminum Cross memeber, 2.5 high flo cat, 2.5 all back, Tanabe Exhaust, optima battery, ZX2 HD tokicos, eibach prokit, black altezzas.....

http://www.modifiedmazda.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

Did I read that correctly, you did an oil change and only put in 2 quarts of oil after the change? Then later added a total of 3 more which brought it to full? If that is so then others on this board need to read better before giving adviseor I need to check how I read. That would make 5 quarts which is WAY too much oil for a ZE or 1.8 and the problem was running the car with only 2 quarts of oil in the first place. You probably do need alot of things on the head replaced now. Has anyone ever taught you how to change oil? You probably need to get a second and maybe third opinion from mechanics that have experience working on MX-6s and Probes, if you ask they will tell you if they have experience and depending on how much you know talk to them a bit about the car to guage how much they know. Then you should have a good idea of what the problem is and what it will cost to fix it. No one on this board can really do more than guess at the problem without seeing the car.
i did an oil change on the KLZE i put in 2 quarts of oil soon as i did the change. (this is the first 2 quarts you put in)
The ticking noise wasnt too bad at first BUT The next day there was a horrible ticking noise the guys at the mazda dealership think its my lifters and say my engine is probly about to go. (Mazda is probably correct, running that low on oil will destroy and engine pretty quickly)

i added oil as soon as i noticed the ticking noise i added another quart of oil. it continued so i added 2 more quarts which got it to full. (that is a total of 5 quarts now and again WAY too much, too much oil is just as harmful as too little)
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
wagZE

Post by wagZE »

is my car not starting because it has too much oil?

ok yea the oil is past full now. should i drain some?
i havent been able to start the car , i do have spark on every cylinder, no obvious problems.
the car just wont turn over i think maybe i need a new cap because i put in new distributor but not cap about 3 weeks ago.
should i test the compression?
THE CAR HASNT WORKED SINCE I PUT IN NEW SPARK PLUGS I THINK THEYRE WRONG ONES.
I put in bosch platinum +2 model number 4301
because since i put them in the car hasnt worked. i already tossed the old ones.
4 mx3 GS SOLD-
wagZE

OK I am a few steps closer........

Post by wagZE »

i found out i had the wrong spark plugs in it, the dumass at schucks gave me the wrong ones. The Ze is running but ticking horribly. I think a piece of a spark plug the end fell down in the engine. I am taking off the head tomorrow. i hope it didnt mess anything up.
4 mx3 GS SOLD-