dash lights out

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
dave1970p

dash lights out

Post by dave1970p »

i was installing a radio in my mx3, and the instrument cluster lights dont work and neither does my gas gauge. when it happend i blew 2 fuses. after putting in new ones the problems still there. any suggestions on how to fix problem not so much worried about lights as i am gas gauge.
Grants
BANNED Member

Post by Grants »

Did you use the original ground point for the new radio? If you ground it in the wrong place things sometimes go haywire.

The only thing the ind lights and fuel gauge have in common is their gound point which is under the dash near the fuse block. Check there first.
“You’ll find, that the only thing you can do easily is be wrong, and that’s hardly worth the effort.”
dave1970p

Post by dave1970p »

i think i have used the original ground. in the us you can buy a stereo installtion kit and it plugs right up to oem plugs. but like i said it blew two fuses and the dash lights and gas gauge dont work. well the gas gauge works from half tank to full anything lower than half of a tank and the gauge stops working. someone had mentioned to me about a relay switch under the dash but i cant find any info on it, nor can i find it under my dash ever heard of this switch.
Grants
BANNED Member

Post by Grants »

If you blew the fuses, try this thread, you may have blown the dimmer:

http://www.mx-3.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=3488&start=0

If thats ok you should try pulling out the new radio and see if they work then. Have a look at this post:

http://www.mx-3.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.ph ... dio+ground
“You’ll find, that the only thing you can do easily is be wrong, and that’s hardly worth the effort.”
dave1970p

Post by dave1970p »

ok im going to try the dimmer switch as soon as i pick it up at the shop. had to take it in for seat belt problems. they still fix those for free if anyone is having a problem with theres
2fazed
Supporting Member

Post by 2fazed »

I've had this problem in 3 different model Mazdas. What it is, is when you connect a high powered stereo, with the stock negative ground, it shorts the dimmer, which shorts the tail lights, dash, etc. Either you use an aftermarket wire harness, or run a separate ground to the stereo.
16 Hyundai Elantra Value Edition
06 Mazdaspeed6 2.3T
93 626 ES 2.5
92 Mx-3 RS 1.6
93 Mx-3 GS 2.5
93 Mx-3 RS 1.6

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”