Desperate Help! CV/Drive Shaft Won't Come Off

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
cjtully

Desperate Help! CV/Drive Shaft Won't Come Off

Post by cjtully »

I need to replace the CV joint by replacing the shaft but the old on eis stuck in the tranny. Any ideas on hwo to get it off without dropping the transmission?

Thanks
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

Try using the search function.. There is a post 12 posts down from yours that has the answer in it.

Tunes67
BuGS

Post by BuGS »

Stick a nail puller (what i used) or a good flat pointed screw driver up there and try to get it to come out by Prying it out a little on one side then turning the axles and tap it out on the other. Thats how I did mine :)
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

A good pry bar on the half shaft will get it out (usually the easier side to remove) then tap the other out with a long flat-head screw driver through the tranny. Make sure not to hit the spider gear inside the tranny. Look inside with a flashlight and you'll see what I'm talking about.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
CarMan1

Post by CarMan1 »

i actually used a big ball joint seperator, long as ur taking out the passenger side, has a wide tapered opening, makes getting the CV joint out very easy :P drivers side is much much harder all the time for some reason tho :(
jaydog5678

Post by jaydog5678 »

CarMan1 wrote:i actually used a big ball joint seperator, long as ur taking out the passenger side, has a wide tapered opening, makes getting the CV joint out very easy :P drivers side is much much harder all the time for some reason tho :(
The circlip/ ring around the tip of the axle is what holds it in the transaxle. If the axle did'nt have the circlip, it would pop out with ease.

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”