Is the MX-3 a good car for a first time buyer???

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
prefy

Is the MX-3 a good car for a first time buyer???

Post by prefy »

I have been looking at cars for awhile and I just came by some MX-3s. I think they look really good and they have pretty good fuel millage. I was just wondering wether or not the MX-3 is a good purchase for a first timer.

Thanks
Robotaz

Post by Robotaz »

If the cars need NO work, then yea they're very economical. When you have to get parts, the V6s are terrible and the 4cyl are average, which isn't good. There aren't many around the junk yards, either. Read in the tranny and engine forums about things to look for before you buy. If you have no money to spend on cars, you may want to buy a honda. If you don't mind sometimes costly maintanance for a car that is way cooler than a honda, get an MX3. The V6s are in their own class if you ask me, but they're not cheap.
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

Kinda depends on where your located.. around the US you can find them relatively cheap and if your careful and picky.. you can find one that has a good maintenance history. Much like any car.. the reliability will be directly proportional to how well maintained the car is. If someone buys a honda and never changes the oil.. its not going to last any longer than if someone buys a mazda and never changes the oil. I would definately recommend the MX-3 as a first car, but I also have to recommend that you be picky and make sure whichever MX-3 you choose, has a well known maintenance record. Just my two cents.

Tunes67
prefy

Post by prefy »

So, there can be some costly repairs but that can be encountered with almost any car. I live in Winnipeg, Canada. I have found car one that I am keeping my eye on.

1995 MAZDA MX-3 PRECIDIA RS, 4 cyl, 5 speed, air conditioning, tilt, power mirrors, AM/FM/CD, excellent condition throughout with only 86,000 original kms. Safety certified. $6,450 obo. Remember this is in Canadian fund!

What do you think of that price? To high or good deal? (keep in mind I haven’t seen the car in person yet) From looking around I found that to be reasonable.
Robotaz

Post by Robotaz »

That's some low mileage. If it's really clean it could be worth the money. Especially if you're keeping the car. NADA value is US$2850-$4325.
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

Well with that low of mileage.. that price isnt too bad especially since the car is certified. If the car is as good as it sounds.. the price is fair.. not a great deal mind you.. but fair. However.. that is one of the "Strip Down" models that has very few of the special features.. no sunroof, not the V6 (but that would be better on fuel economy). In the 1993 model year you could even find ones with heated leather seats. As far as a first car goes.. you cant really go wrong with one as clean as that sounds. You can find one for less cash.. but likely wont find one that clean with such low mileage. Also.. one nice perk of having a MX-3 is this website.. there are tons of great people here that can offer advice and maybe even help turn a wrench now and then. Just my two cents.. Best of luck to you :)

Tunes67
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

Is the MX3 a good car for the first time buyer? - It was for me 10 years ago.
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas
Neil

Post by Neil »

prefy wrote:So, there can be some costly repairs but that can be encountered with almost any car. I live in Winnipeg, Canada. I have found car one that I am keeping my eye on.

1995 MAZDA MX-3 PRECIDIA RS, 4 cyl, 5 speed, air conditioning, tilt, power mirrors, AM/FM/CD, excellent condition throughout with only 86,000 original kms. Safety certified. $6,450 obo. Remember this is in Canadian fund!

What do you think of that price? To high or good deal? (keep in mind I haven’t seen the car in person yet) From looking around I found that to be reasonable.
Hey man i'm from Brandon not to far away! The price does seem a bit high...But if its the only one you can find that you like and are comfortable buying id say go for it. I noticed theres a nice V6 GS in the autotrader on the 2nd page thats only about $400 more than the one your looking at it has more KMs 125,000 but than you'd get the V6 instead of the 4Cyl. You get a few extra nice options with the GS that you dont get on the RS. But if you had plans for an RS get the RS :)

If you do decide on either one i cant say about the RS since i've only ever owend GS's and i have my 2nd one now. The GS is quick, sporty it handles awsome and it brakes really well imo. Its very unqiue and its a very great all around car the only downside is the view out the rear of the car... It isnt the best but thats a small minor detail!

I hope you get an mx-3 im sure you'll enjoy one they're great cars!
Ever notice anyone driving slower than you is an idiot and anyone driving faster than you is a maniac?
01-03 Civic Projector Swap Tutorial
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

jschrauwen wrote:Is the MX3 a good car for the first time buyer? - It was for me 10 years ago.
Yep, mine was my first car, got her almost 3 years ago.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
prefy

Post by prefy »

At this point in time i think i want to go with the more fuel efficient model(even though there isnt extreme differences) seeing how i will be driving from lockport to the U of M everyday. Plus the GS does cost a little more to insure but its not too much. Im gonna see what i can do maybe talk down the price a little. lol. Thanks for the insight! :)
bushidosword

Post by bushidosword »

ouch!!! that sounds pretty expensive!!! ive seen mx's with the klze swap for less $$$ than that.... IMHO i would keep looking around!
Typhoonk

Post by Typhoonk »

Sounds a little steep even for a mint mx-3. :shock: I'd see if he'd give it too you for $4500 + tax + a set of all-seasons. (also if the clutch feels weird I'd ask to get that replaced too before you buy it) :lol:
-------------------------------------------------------
Got to sell one of my cars to cover the bills
2002 Mazda Protege 5 - Manual, Blue colour fully loaded
PM for info
prefy

Post by prefy »

I'm still looking around i thought that it might be a little high but i dont think the guy would settle for what you suggest Typhoonk. Most of the MX-3s that i have found in manitoba have really high Km's and are selling about $5000, so we'll see what happens
andy

Post by andy »

I wouldn't let the gas mileage be a deciding factor. I am the original owner of a 93 GS (v6) and I have averaged 26-28 mpg city and 29-32mpg highway.
I'm not sure what the 4 cyl's mileage is but I don't think it is much better.
Thats with spirited driving. If your not planning a motor swap any time soon the V6 model will have a little more fun factor.

Andy 93 GS
Cyn

Post by Cyn »

My MX was my first car when I bought it about 2 years ago to get to and from school (U of T). I'd have to say that price is a bit steep for an RS, cuz I've seen GS' in that price range or $1000 lower around here. Since I've owned the car I've put about 60,000kms on it and the engine still runs great....I'd really opt for a V6 if I were you....I'm not sure with the 95/96's but with the earlier MX's the chassiss and hp is much better in the GS! Plus there's the added appearance benefits of a spoiler, rims and lip that could save you future expenses. Good luck!

Cynthia
'99 ECLIPSE SPYDER GS-T
'95 Talon TSI ~ FOR SALE
'95 MX3 RS - SOLD
'93 MX3 GS - SOLD
'92 MX3 GS - SOLD

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”