Ok - going to wire my projectors, only...

This forum is for discussion of topics relating to MX-3 lighting such as Headlights, Tail lights, Accessory Lights, Interior Lights, Etc. For example, Rear Euro Altezza Style Tail lights, Headlight units, LED's, HID's, Bulbs, Interior lights, Neons, Strobes, Auxillary Lights/Fogs or anything filament and gas discharge related.
Also anything dealing with the elctrical system.
Chronicle-Rod

Ok - going to wire my projectors, only...

Post by Chronicle-Rod »

The wiring isn't the same as in other posts here. I have a red, black and red/white from the car, and a red, blue and two blacks from the lights.

Anyone face this situation, before I just go with the guesswork?
Chronicle-Rod

Post by Chronicle-Rod »

Hmmm...wired them up the first time and my dims had what should be the bright lits on - that's assuming the larger inner bulbs are the brights, of course.

The lights I have are four bulb - with a large inner, a smaller beside it and two small stacked ones (that are currently not hooked in, awaiting a couple plugs for that) The large inner should be the brights, since they're on the innermost section of the vehicle.

So I rewired it, and now the small one comes on with the lights, and the big one comes on when I hit the brights. Only if I just turn on the car, the daytime running lights come on...and it's lighting the big inner one. It's only at about half intensity, turning on the brights makes it much brighter, but it's bound to irritate people.

Obviously I'm wrong somewhere...but where?
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

I'm assuming that your wiring in Civic Projectors? I'm also assuming since I am not familiar with those lights but because there are 4 bulbs, one of them is for daytime runnung light only. You would have to get clarification on that from another civic projector member. The 3 wires that your tapping into is strictly ground, high and low. The DRL (daytime running light) wire I believe drives the high beam at approximately 50%. When lights are turned on, power is removed from the high beam circuit and is sent to the low beam only. Unable to guess at the Red, Blue and 2 black wires, except that maybe Red - low, Blue - high, black(s) - ground??? If you have the use of a meter, try a continuity check between various wires before trying to attempt a power supply.
Cpl_Bryant and Didlin both have done Civic projectors, try PM'ing them.
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas
SE-Man

Post by SE-Man »

I help another guy with the same problem about the same time I did mine. You'll have to search under my SN in this foorum for it. But we have the same wiring as you. Check as far as possible, you may have to cut the loom, but their usually are colord rings in the wire to tell them apart.
Cpl_Bryant

Post by Cpl_Bryant »

Okay, this is my experience after wiring the Civic lights up, very simple. First off, there is no daytime running light. The 9004 is a single bulb, dual filament setup for high & low beams as we all know. The Civic uses 2 separate single filament bulbs, as you may know as well. Bothof those bulbs (H1 & H3 I believe) can use the same ground/negative wire (standard color is black). Then you just have to figure out which positive wire goes to which bulb. Red is a standard positive color as far as wiring goes, so I think that was the low beam. Then there is some other wire for the high beam, I think it was red with a white stripe. So that's the headlights. Then the other bulbs: The side marker is pretty standard 1 for 1 splice. And actually, if you still have your OEM sidemarkers, those sockets will fit perfectly into the Civic hole for them. I didn't have mine anymore and tried to order Civic ones from Honda and they were too small. Weird right? Anyway, then you have the turn signal bulb which has the same deal as the headlights, being a 1157 bulb it has 2 filaments where the Civic bulb has only 1 (like the 1156, but I forgot what the actual number is). As you may know, if one of your bulbs filaments is not operating, your turn signals will blink faster on that side to let you know. So you can't just leave it unconnected unless you want to blink super fast forever. Luckily, you have the Halo ring around the low beam headlight. Splice this to the wire that went to the "low beam" filament of the turn signal (again I think its Red). That way, when you turn your parking lights on (1 click on the knob inside the car) you get the Halo rings and the side markers, which if you check my site looks frickin sweet. Lastly, the wire that goes to the blinking filament (which is Red with a Green stripe I think) gets spliced to your new blinker which is Blue on the Civic lights. Then the Halo rings and the blinker share the same negative wire (Black). And you're done. Get ready for major improvements in your night vision. Bada bing.
http://www.cardomain.com/profile/cplbryant" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Chronicle-Rod

Post by Chronicle-Rod »

Wow...

Cpl_Bryant

Post by Cpl_Bryant »

Electricity is my specialty. :D
http://www.cardomain.com/profile/cplbryant" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ScooterBovine
Supporting Member

Post by ScooterBovine »

Cpl_Bryant wrote:Electricity is my specialty. :D
Is it true that in the UK, they wire stuff with a positive groud?
No more MX-3.
Chiggles

Post by Chiggles »

Cpl_Bryant wrote:Okay, this is my experience after wiring the Civic lights up, very simple. First off, there is no daytime running light. The 9004 is a single bulb, dual filament setup for high & low beams as we all know. The Civic uses 2 separate single filament bulbs, as you may know as well. Bothof those bulbs (H1 & H3 I believe) can use the same ground/negative wire (standard color is black). Then you just have to figure out which positive wire goes to which bulb. Red is a standard positive color as far as wiring goes, so I think that was the low beam. Then there is some other wire for the high beam, I think it was red with a white stripe. So that's the headlights. Then the other bulbs: The side marker is pretty standard 1 for 1 splice. And actually, if you still have your OEM sidemarkers, those sockets will fit perfectly into the Civic hole for them. I didn't have mine anymore and tried to order Civic ones from Honda and they were too small. Weird right? Anyway, then you have the turn signal bulb which has the same deal as the headlights, being a 1157 bulb it has 2 filaments where the Civic bulb has only 1 (like the 1156, but I forgot what the actual number is). As you may know, if one of your bulbs filaments is not operating, your turn signals will blink faster on that side to let you know. So you can't just leave it unconnected unless you want to blink super fast forever. Luckily, you have the Halo ring around the low beam headlight. Splice this to the wire that went to the "low beam" filament of the turn signal (again I think its Red). That way, when you turn your parking lights on (1 click on the knob inside the car) you get the Halo rings and the side markers, which if you check my site looks frickin sweet. Lastly, the wire that goes to the blinking filament (which is Red with a Green stripe I think) gets spliced to your new blinker which is Blue on the Civic lights. Then the Halo rings and the blinker share the same negative wire (Black). And you're done. Get ready for major improvements in your night vision. Bada bing.
Ok, so let me see if I got this straight based on how you got yours wired up:

1 click on the knob: amber corners light up as well as halo rings
2 clicks on the knob: amber corners on, halo rings on, and the middle headlights on
highbeam enabled: amber corners on, halo rings on, and inner headlights on, middle headlights off?
turn enabled: ambers blink, halo rings on (or blink???), middle headlights on

That right? Also, you say there's no daytime running lights? But why then do my stock headlights come on if the parking/emergency brake is not engaged?

And just to clarify, when you mean the OEM sidemarkers will fit right into the Civic socket, I assume you're referring to the Civic projectors that have 2 amber lights on the corner (so 5 lights total - 2 ambers, 1 middle, 1 halo, 1 inner), rather than the projector style that has just 1 on the corner (4 lights total - 1 amber corner, 1 middle, 1 halo, 1 inner). Correct?
Cpl_Bryant

Post by Cpl_Bryant »

To the UK question: I have no clue. To me that makes no sense, but I suppose its all relative to what you consider to be positive and negative. Or perhaps, they drive on the left side of the road, maybe electricity flows in the other direction too. Yeah, maybe the UK defies the laws of physics as we know it. :roll:

And to Chiggles: Maybe certain year MX-3s did have daytime running lights. Not mine though. But that would be an easy disconnect or just wire it to the regular low beam. Your summary is correct. The halo ring does not blink, that would be really ugly.
ovendenk
Supporting Member

Post by ovendenk »

the daytime running lights is a canadian thing. that's why his american car doesn't have them and your canadian car does. i don't know if the states has adopted this program yet, but back then all canadian cars had to have drl's. just thought i'd clarify.
kevin (aka The Oven)
93 mx-3 GS KL-ZE with KL31 cams and properly chipped ecu
All mods are on my website: http://ca.geocities.com/ovendenk
MX-3.com Worklog: http://www.mx-3.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=48462
Grants
BANNED Member

Post by Grants »

Is it true that in the UK, they wire stuff with a positive groud?
Lots of vehicles used to be positive ground, particularly back in the 6 volt days - not so common today. Lots of British and US vehicles used to be that way.
“You’ll find, that the only thing you can do easily is be wrong, and that’s hardly worth the effort.”
2fazed
Supporting Member

Post by 2fazed »

I just wired my Civic lights in.

Light adapter=Civic wires

Black=2 black(ground)

Red/white=red(high beam)

Red=blue(low beam)

Angle eye ring, you connect the #2 red wire to your signal lights.
16 Hyundai Elantra Value Edition
06 Mazdaspeed6 2.3T
93 626 ES 2.5
92 Mx-3 RS 1.6
93 Mx-3 GS 2.5
93 Mx-3 RS 1.6
mx almere

Post by mx almere »

Call me dumb but I still cannot figure it out. Could someone explain once more?

I have 6 wires coming from my car:
red/white
red/green
green
white
2 x black

The lights in the projectors each have a positive and a negative (simple enough). I am nog sure which of the above wires are used to control the up <--> down motrion of the headlights.
Cpl_Bryant

Post by Cpl_Bryant »

Its obviously different on several versions of the car. My best advice is this: Take it step by step, bulb by bulb. All the black wires can go together for all I care, mine didn't reach and didn't feeling like adding more splices.
Start with the headlights. See which is your high beam, low beam, and negative. Sounds like the red/white is your high and white is low. Splice those to the corresponding wires on your new Civic bulbs. That could be trial and error, or process of elimination. Most wire coloring is done to make it easy to figure out, so use your instincts.
Next take care of the sidemarker. Its an easy 1 to 1 splice from the MX-3 to the Civic.
Finally, the turn signal and halo ring. Here's where it could get tricky, but again use trial and error if you have to. Red and black are commonly pos and neg respectively. Any oddball wire (like the red/green) is the higher wattage carrier. So, looking at your wires you said you have, I think your green will go to the halo ring and the red/green to the turn signal (noticing a trend here?). If you turn your lights on and your halo rings blink and your turn signals stay on (not your side markers, those are supposed to stay on) then you wired them backwards. Switch them around and your halo rings will stay on and turn signals will blink.
So wires, solid color is low wattage, wire with red stripe is high wattage. As long as all have a negative, then you'll be fine. Hope this helps. I'm not sure how much further I can break this down Barney-Style other than coming to you and showing you face to face. If all that fails, um... use the Force or something. Good luck.

Return to “Electrical & Lighting”