INDIGLOW DIALS INSTALL (ELECTRICS)

A forum for Appearance Discussions. (Exterior, Body Kits, & Interior)
SoaPY

INDIGLOW DIALS INSTALL (ELECTRICS)

Post by SoaPY »

I have purchased and installed these recently, all was going well.
I have wired as per the (limited) instructions. Wired into headlights feed. Red wire to red & black to black. These work fine, when headlights are off or switched to sidelights, but as soon as headlights are turned on, dials switch off.
I have tried everyother combination I can think of, but without success. (as there are only 3 wires for headlights there are only a possible 6 combinations)
Just wondered if I'm doing something obviously wrong or does anyone have more in-depth installation instructions, as I don't know if they can take anymore re-wiring!!
nope-mx3

Post by nope-mx3 »

you should have hooked it up to the dimmer switch for the clusterlights.
(on the non-variable side).

nope-mx3
:: 2001 Mazda Mx-5 Sport // 2013 Volvo V40 D2 Momentum ::
jrors
Supporting Member

Post by jrors »

There's a topic I posted up here on doing them from the headlight wires from my experience..........I forget how I did mine, but if you have not found the correct way to do them by tomorrow, let me know and I'll pop my steering column and tell you the correct wire to run the red wire from the gauges to..........also, as far as that black wire from the gauges is concerned, I hooked it up to a medium sized screw for a strong ground. Open the drivers side door kneel down like your looking at the fuse box and look to the left and you'll see the screw I'm reffering to.
Also, if you like, P.M. me your email and I'll take a pic of the ground and the red wire so you can have the correct setup. I installed mines I think back in either Oct. or Nov. and the have been great!
If you fall, then get back up........Luck favors the prepared
garfy1981
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by garfy1981 »

I put the ground ( the black wire ) onto a body work screw located directly behind the temp/fuel guage, i used a round crimp lug for this.
You should have 3 cables at the dimmer switch, a red one a black one and a red/black one. You can reach under the dash and pull these cables into the footwell to make it easier to work on. Connect the red wire of the indigos onto the red/black wire of the dimmer supply.
If you got it right the dials will come on when you put the lights on, and the dimmers should be totally independant. So when you dim the factory dimmer it will not dim the dials, you will have to use the dial supplied dimmer for this.
This is what i done and has worked no problems. I have searched right throught all the threads regarding dials and it always seems that things go wrong when hooked up to the headlights supply under the steering wheel. So i think hooking up to the dimmer is the way to go.
Hope this helps!
2.5 Ze straight neck, blitz intake, mazdaspeed engine mounts, fidenza flywheel, CM II Clutch, KL-36 ecu, Magnecor 8mm Leads, Battery Relocation. Hotshot headers, 2.5 mandrel bent stainless exhaust, hi-flow cat, Speed hut dials, custom coilover set up. Custom willwood big brake conversion.
SoaPY

Post by SoaPY »

Thanks guys,
finally managed to get them working as per your instructions garfy1981. Tried everything from headlight feed, but couldn't get them to stay on with headlights. Worked perfectly from dimmer feed. On a totally unrelated note any idea where I can get clear or crystal side repeaters that I can replace horrid amber ones(preferably without drilling holes!!)

Thanks again.
garfy1981

Post by garfy1981 »

go to the mazda garage and get a set of mazda 6 clear side indicators, thats what ive been told to do but i havent got round to doing it yet. Dont those orange side repeaters look pretty !!
2.5 Ze straight neck, blitz intake, mazdaspeed engine mounts, fidenza flywheel, CM II Clutch, KL-36 ecu, Magnecor 8mm Leads, Battery Relocation. Hotshot headers, 2.5 mandrel bent stainless exhaust, hi-flow cat, Speed hut dials, custom coilover set up. Custom willwood big brake conversion.
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

garfy1981 wrote:I put the ground ( the black wire ) onto a body work screw located directly behind the temp/fuel guage, i used a round crimp lug for this.
You should have 3 cables at the dimmer switch, a red one a black one and a red/black one. You can reach under the dash and pull these cables into the footwell to make it easier to work on. Connect the red wire of the indigos onto the red/black wire of the dimmer supply.
If you got it right the dials will come on when you put the lights on, and the dimmers should be totally independant. So when you dim the factory dimmer it will not dim the dials, you will have to use the dial supplied dimmer for this.
This is what i done and has worked no problems. I have searched right throught all the threads regarding dials and it always seems that things go wrong when hooked up to the headlights supply under the steering wheel. So i think hooking up to the dimmer is the way to go.
Hope this helps!
Yep, mine are wired up the same way as yours, i just still haven't found a place to put the supplied dial, it's just dangling out of of the hole where the old dimmer switch was
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
garfy1981

Post by garfy1981 »

ah ive got the speedhut upgrade inverter, its a nice small dial with an adhesive backing ive brought it out of the steering wheel column and stuck it to on the left hand side,sort of 3 inch below the hazard button looks nice an tidy.
jrors
Supporting Member

Post by jrors »

I drilled mines dail underneath the the black gauge pod to the left. It looks very nice there.
If you fall, then get back up........Luck favors the prepared

Return to “Appearance”