clutch slipping?

A place for the MX-3 Community in Europe to gather.
AZ-3,1498cc,UK

clutch slipping?

Post by AZ-3,1498cc,UK »

When pushing the throttle hard especially in fifth gear at around 60mph the revs rise to the redline and the car does not accellerate. This is a problem in all gears but in higher gears its more apparent. If u attempt to keep pushing the gas hard the clutch starts to smell. The clutch does not seem to slip when changing gears or pulling off. The car has not had this problem before and it occurred instantly. The mileage is 86,000. Does the clutch need replacement or is somthing else wrong?
V6 MX-3, Black, 17" gunmetal chromes with 205/40/17.
Now gone: Autozam AZ-3(Jap spec MX-3). 91, 1498cc DOHC 120bhp as standard. Manual, A.C, 17" black chromes with 205/40/17. Stainless Steel Exhaust,Pipercross Filter, Eco-tek valve, Strut brace, Racing steering wheel.
snellgrove

Post by snellgrove »

Sounds like a clutch to me, yes..

dunno how much those are, could you let us know? (that is if your getting it from Mazda) coz mines good at the moment, but I've got 73 on the clock and its bound to go eventually..
1997, Silver, V6
rsroadkilla

Post by rsroadkilla »

i see a brand new genuine mazda clutch kit on ebay the other week for like £35. Could be worth having a look on there. Might still be there!
rsroadkilla

Post by rsroadkilla »

just checked and it wasnt there im affraid. sorry mate!

I'l keep my eyes open though!
AZ-3,1498cc,UK

Post by AZ-3,1498cc,UK »

I drove the car the next morning for about a miles and it was reving in all gears like this. Then today i drove it about 6 miles to work being gentle on the gas and drove then drove it home like this. After about six mile of driving home i decided to give it some gas and the car drove fine all gears, i was flooring the gas in all gears and the revs were rising to the correct road speed as normal. i pulled up the hood and the clutch did not smell but then when i put the handbrake on and bring it up to the biting point a few times in 1, 2 and 3 it smells like a soldering iron under the hodd a little. Do u think that the clutch disc and cover have bedding themselves in now and it wont slip again? or maybe it drove fine because the clutch had time to warm up? ill try it again tommorow when the clutch is cold. The thing is ive ordered a clutch kit(£100 japspareparts.co.uk). Or is the problem somthing other than the clutch like the engine management?
Now gone: Autozam AZ-3(Jap spec MX-3). 91, 1498cc DOHC 120bhp as standard. Manual, A.C, 17" black chromes with 205/40/17. Stainless Steel Exhaust,Pipercross Filter, Eco-tek valve, Strut brace, Racing steering wheel.
AZ-3,1498cc,UK

Post by AZ-3,1498cc,UK »

Checked car again today all fluid levels are ok there does not seem to be any leaks and everything looks dry. Ive driven the car a few times now and what seems to happen is the revs are rising but not the road speed for about a mile or two or until evrything is warmed up, then after that the problem does not occur. Any suggestions?

Return to “European MX-3 Community”